Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

<rant> Getting my car back.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2008, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boostfiend, did you follow up with the proper maintenance? with a name like "boost fiend" i can only assume you like to drive brsikly . tcase is supposed to changed every 5-7k miles. also it isnt uncommon for the clutch to go out at the mileage. i mean maybe its driving style? maybe you liek to downshift a lot without rev matching, or dumping clutch at high rpms i dont know. I mean we dont know much about your driving style which to me is the biggest factor on how long a car will last for.

You do realize why they have "better" customer service right? They know they are selling you an overpriced german car, and becuase of that they obviously will kiss your *** more than a lets say "cheaper" dealership. Ive owned a 2000 audi s4 6 spd and regretted every bit of it. $28 for a gallon of coolant makes me feel all warm inside. $140+ an hour for labor makes me grab my sides and roll around laughing.

Honestly I dont get why you complain so much, you've blown a motor and a tcase. You can replace both for couple grand. A german engine trans is easily 10k+ and its still slower than a properly tuned bolt on evo which will still get better gas mileage and still have a big trunk and 4 doors.

To me all you see is customer service which can be very misleading. Also it seems like the mitsu dealer you go to might be tired of dealing with your crap if your always there breaking stuff and complaing at them to have it fixed under warranty when it was your fault. Did you get the car new? It would make sense if you wore the clutch out at 8k then blew the tcase and the engine. only thing i can say is maybe driver neglect and not really knowing how to properly drive the car. but good luck c63 is super nice, but i would never own a mb. i love manual way too much for one of those. 335i? or 335xi? i love my FI gotta have it.

Last edited by lurkerpika; Jan 6, 2008 at 03:52 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

I guess you haven't read the rest of the thread.

So to sum it up, I know how to downshift and have owned an Audi S4, E46 M3, E36 M3, etc. without any problems. The car had no engine mods or anything of the sort and I'm not exactly the most abusive driver. I drive like a grandma most of the time in fact. Earlier I mentioned that I had followed all of the service intervals and did not mind doing so; it's not like I went flogging the car around.

As far as getting up in Mitsubishi's face about repairs, after the fourth set of problems you're d*mn right I was pissed and rightfully so. As far as the car being fast, yes it is but I think I'm nearing the point in my life where I want comfort and not raw speed.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

I can understand and even appreciate a good rant, but each party has to assume its share of the responsibility for any given situation.

I have had bad experiences with dealerships before, but if I have bad dealings with one particular dealership, I go somewhere else. I know there has got to be more than one Mitsubishi dealership in Maryland. Shop around a little before you write off every “low-tier non-luxury” company. Besides, if you have been there that many times, chances are they are tired of seeing you too.

It also sounds like you have had every problem known to man occur with your car. In fact, I have never heard of that many problems out of one single Evo (or any other car for that matter) without some kind of neglect or abuse, despite modifications. Not saying that a factory cannot turn out a bad vehicle every now and then, but whole cars do not just fall apart at the seams. QA departments make sure of this because bad product = no sales, lawsuits, bankruptcy, etc. Not saying it can’t happen, but its news to me in this day and age. I would also think that an A. James Clark graduate would have picked up a little knowledge regarding the combustion engine, although you claim you do not know how any of these problems have occurred or what could have caused them. Also if you have that many degrees, why not just buy something else and move on? I know plenty of ME’s that drive much more expensive cars than Mitsu’s.

There seems to be some information that you are withholding regarding your situation, either that or you have a serious dark cloud looming over your head and it's time to get serious about an umbrella. I’m not attacking you on any of your claims. Just evaluate all of the facts as well as your involvement in the outcomes before you blast something that the majority of the readers of these forums really love and appreciate.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 06:42 PM

Reading this thread was comedy..
Old Jan 6, 2008, 06:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PHDoc19
I can understand and even appreciate a good rant, but each party has to assume its share of the responsibility....
It's hard to diagnose a problem when you aren't very well informed. I asked what they saw and their response was "Everything's ok we're taking care of the problem." Every time I've asked and I didn't have time to stop by the dealership. There's nothing wrong with my engineering abilities but I've been left in the dark from day one and as far as your accusations on the abuse of my car, that's fine I can only accept your point of view.

Know this though I'm not some punk kid who shows off what his car can due purely to make myself feel better. To me it's still just a car which means maintenance intervals, transportation from point A to B, etc. yada yada. Nowhere have I mentioned all Evo's are crap in fact if you read the original post it says I don't want "the" POS back.

There's nothing I'm withholding and there are others who can vouch to how the car was driven. It was a rant that I made to calm myself and release some anger, now it's all said and done. Either way I'm at the point where defending myself is growing a little tiresome so I'm going to officially say that I'm done.

Last edited by Boostfiend; Jan 6, 2008 at 07:53 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

First off I'd like to say Hello to everyone. I'm a newb just got a 03 evo viii a couple weeks ago and i'm in love. I have been doing alot of looking at this site before i joined and i want to say you guys are really fair and all seem really nice. With that being said, after reading this guys thread i became very upset and waited till today to tell him what i think. I don't think the car is a lemon at all. Its purely the owner who ruined and abused such a well made car. He had it wrapped and handed to him and he basically ripped it up and **** it out. I think the problem is his name. "Boostfiend". Basically he probably got the car put a boost controller on it and cranked the ***** up with out doing anything else. Of course the car is going to break! You probably drove it like ****. Its a well made car but its not bullet proof. Any idiot can destroy a car, it takes a true enthusiast to treat and mod a car right. Do us all a favor kid, sell the car and get yourself a bicycle!
Old Jan 6, 2008, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by N8THEGR8
First off I'd like to say Hello to everyone. I'm a newb just got a 03 evo viii a couple weeks ago and i'm in love. I have been doing alot of looking at this site before i joined and i want to say you guys are really fair and all seem really nice. With that being said, after reading this guys thread i became very upset and waited till today to tell him what i think. I don't think the car is a lemon at all. Its purely the owner who ruined and abused such a well made car. He had it wrapped and handed to him and he basically ripped it up and **** it out. I think the problem is his name. "Boostfiend". Basically he probably got the car put a boost controller on it and cranked the ***** up with out doing anything else. Of course the car is going to break! You probably drove it like ****. Its a well made car but its not bullet proof. Any idiot can destroy a car, it takes a true enthusiast to treat and mod a car right. Do us all a favor kid, sell the car and get yourself a bicycle!
Maybe you should do us a favor and actually read the damn thread before you post.
1. How he got the car is irrelevant, no car should have this many problems from the factory.
2. He has no engine mods and clearly states he doesn't race it or beat on it.
3. This is not his first turboed car let alone his first car.
4. He's not a kid since he already has a college degree.
5. He's obviously not stupid since he has a college degree.

In conclusion, people need to actually read the thread and see what he is saying before they act like ****ing fanboys who will defend the car to the grave. I find it extremely hypocritical that people are calling this guy a punk or a kid yet they act like 5 year olds themselves. As far as I'm concerned, the OP is the most mature one here.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Maybe you should do us a favor and actually read the damn thread before you post.
1. How he got the car is irrelevant, no car should have this many problems from the factory.
2. He has no engine mods and clearly states he doesn't race it or beat on it.
3. This is not his first turboed car let alone his first car.
4. He's not a kid since he already has a college degree.
5. He's obviously not stupid since he has a college degree.

Maybe he should have thought out his rant a little better before he posted. Cause obviously alot of us got the wrong impression. And Im not a fan boy. I don't defend any car to the grave. If the car had problems right when he got it, don't you think there would have been some sort of signs during test drive?
"kid" is used loosely, of course hes not 16 with his first car or he would be on Myspace not here. And not saying he is dumb, but a college degree doesn't make you smart.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
His rant was perfectly appropriate to me and I'm sure plenty would do the same thing in his situation. Sure a degree doesn't make you smart but he's the only person in here that isn't resorting to name calling and such.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 08:16 PM
Evolved Member

N8 I think if you read the thread a little more thoroughly you'd see that there were no initial problems until around 8k. Many of you got the wrong impression originally, however upon further clarification of the situation the other members began to understand my point of view. I don't see the reasoning behind name calling, attacking my character, or questioning my credibility other than the fact that we're all human. That I can accept, so if I hit a soft spot I apologize.

I didn't post this to gain sympathy but more to release some much pent up anger, sorry if I offended you or anyone else in this thread. I'll say this for the last time; I'm glad that your ownership experience has been good, I hope that it continues to be flawless, but mine has been sub-par. In a way I guess the phrase "it's my party I can cry if I want to" somewhat applies here .

So let me end this before any further personal attacks arise; I'm going to give the car one more chance because whether I fall in love with it or not there will still be a C63 in my near future. Lets just hope I can keep the Evo alongside the MB and we can all eventually become friends . Thanks for all of your suggestions, concerns, and readings. I appreciate it and look forward to hopefully contributing positive info to this board be it cars, evo's, or general education.

Last edited by Boostfiend; Jan 6, 2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 08:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Boostfiend
N8 I think if you read the thread a little more thoroughly you'd see that there were no initial problems until around 8k. Many of you got the wrong impression originally, however upon further clarification of the situation the other members began to understand my point of view. I don't see the reasoning behind name calling, attacking my character, or questioning my credibility other than the fact that we're all human. That I can accept, so if I hit a soft spot I apologize.

I didn't post this to gain sympathy but more to release some much pent up anger, sorry if I offended you or anyone else in this thread. I'll say this for the last time; I'm glad that your ownership experience has been good, I hope that it continues to be flawless, but mine has been sub-par. In a way I guess the phrase "it's my party I can cry if I want to" somewhat applies here .

So let me end this before any further personal attacks arise; I'm going to give the car one more chance because whether I fall in love with it or not there will still be a C63 in my near future. Lets just hope I can keep the Evo alongside the MB and we can all eventually become friends . Thanks for all of your suggestions, concerns, and readings. I appreciate it and look forward to hopefully contributing positive info to this board be it cars, evo's, or general education.
Your right, i apologize for the name calling, wasn't really the way i wanted to start off my new found forum. It did hit a soft spot but i should have read up on your explinations and posts before i jumped in. I am sorry you haven't been able to enjoy your car, i really do hope it gets better. good luck with it and if the two cars do become friends, post pics.
Old Jan 6, 2008, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bevolucion
if i got an Evo as a gift ,**** i wouln't aven complain if it didnt came with an engine.
LOL ^^^
Old Jan 7, 2008, 04:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Boostfiend
Problems:

-Clutch went out @ 8k and not due to driver error as I hadn't launched the car, tracked it, and have had numerous cars in manual (Audi S4, M3, STi, etc.) Admittedly Mitsubishi said it was the weak part of the car. Fine I purchased another one as they said it was a wearable part and not covered under warranty. In fact they mentioned that it used to be covered but due to harsh abuse of previous owners they discontinued it after the 03's.

-My fuse box caught a small fire and melted one fuse and burned over to two others.

-Transfer case failed on the highway and I had to have it towed, they also found that the power steering fluid was leaking.

-intake manifold hose popping off, boost leaks, and bad spark plugs @ 16k which is unheard of to me.

-and lastly the problem I'm waiting to have repaired is a blown motor (of which I hadn't heard the reason as to why).
1) Just because you didn't launch the car doesn't mean the clutch didn't go out due to driver error. Improper down shifting at the track could easily make a clutch go out FAST. However, clutches are a debatable item on the Evos as some drivers get them to last 5,000 miles and some 50,000.

2) Have you added any aftermarket electrical devices to the car? If so, this could be caused by overloading a circuit or faulty wiring.

3) I second the TC fluid mentioned earlier. Maintenance on a car that you take to the track is quite important and can cause failures.

4) A LOT of Evos have boost leaks from the factory and the hoses do have a habit of popping off at elevated boost pressures. Plugs at 16k tells me your tune was off. Was the car tuned? If so, at what boost level and what AFR?

5) See #4.

I'm not going to jump in here and say this is all absolutely your fault, but MANY people break these cars at their own fault and then get pissed when Mitsubishi doesn't want to pay for their mistakes. It seems that you don't have that exact issue because you've gotten some warranty work from them, but you are still blaming the car for things that could easily be driver/modification related.

Last edited by TouringBubble; Jan 7, 2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:00 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by N8THEGR8

Hold on...

Okay.... We are talking about Mitsubishi products, right? The Evo, specifically? Well made? Funniest post EVAR.

The rest of your post is garbage, too.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 12:01 PM
El Jefe

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts
Especially the part about us all being nice. Classic.