Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Hood pins first?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2008, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hood pins first?

Ok, so here's the deal. I have a c/f hood that I want to get painted. I also have the aerocatch hood pins. Simple question, if I'm getting the hood painted and the hood pins installed at 2 different places, should the pins be installed before the painting or after? I have not spoken with either of the people doing this yet as I have not decided definitely on a place yet. Just a quick thought before I go through the process. Does it matter which is first?

My thought is that I should paint it first to prevent any spidering of the c/f and to make the aerocatch pins look clean....is this correct, or should it be reverse, pins first? Any info would be helpful thanks. I know probably seems like a newb question, but there was nothing too specific in searches. Thanks
Old Jan 7, 2008, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

i have the same pins and if I was doing it i would cut the hood for the pins first then get it painted.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

yea, it's dry carbon too, but i dont know if that matters, probably not...just weary of making the wrong move first if there is a certain way to properly do it
Old Jan 7, 2008, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AlohaEvo
i have the same pins and if I was doing it i would cut the hood for the pins first then get it painted.
Now why would you do it that way, what's the advantage/disadvantage?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Easier to cover up any imperfections caused by the drilling/cutting while you paint I guess ...
Old Jan 7, 2008, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

dont use hood pins! just adjust the lock upwards so it catches the latch better.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 03:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AlohaEvo
+1

That way the hood is painted all the way under the pins. Not to mention you don't want to be drilling on paint or anything like that. This way its just easier
Old Jan 7, 2008, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

yea, you bring up valid points guys, I can really see both points of view...that's why I'm looking for opinions or people that have had it done I guess..
Old Jan 7, 2008, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
measure-cut- paint-install.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tarmacisback69
dont use hood pins! just adjust the lock upwards so it catches the latch better.
if he racing ,then the pins are a good safety thing. I alwasy had on my track cars.
Old Jan 7, 2008, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

no, probably wont be tracking....well I dont now at least...but maybe next year...I would just feel more secure with the latch and the pins installed....the last thing I want is to be doing 80 and have it fly up on me...and for the little cost and measure, it seems sensible to be safe
Old Jan 7, 2008, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

it is defenietly safe. Now you got it, so better to install it. Many times at the front end collision, the hood can pop up, then you can't see anything. It happends. Besides you will never forget closing the hood right anymore.. Not to mention it is an after market hood..
Old Jan 7, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolved Member

yea exactly, like I said for the small amount of work and money it'll take...it's better to be safe....Rob, were you at the rixmag show in Jersey in July by any chance...I think I remember seeing your car there....stock hood with hood pins...?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

now why would you paint a cf hood? isnt a cf hood to show cf? or am i misunderstanding and you are painting it clear?
Old Jan 7, 2008, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

no I'm not even a huge fan of c/f, just got a good deal on one, and I'm not painting the whole thing, just parts of it to color match the WW...so it would be paint, and probably a clear coat over that