Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mike1023 Rebuild for stock turbo record of 2008!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zbomb
Fatigue happens man.

60K miles +"raced to it's last legs"+"dyno many times"= Blown motor.

It happens
yes i said that before good point yes, and the best is yet to come for the new year. which i cant wait to get back in the car and go.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Im going to go with unsafe boost levels for $500
Old Jan 8, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nez136
Im going to go with unsafe boost levels for $500
im going to disagree with that since i was running that boost for a good amount of time and had it all logged and dyno. and a/f and timing was good.

i going more to wear and tear. and not replacing the necessary part.

we brake it down if you push the stock motor to the limits and do not replace parts more often then this would happen. i seen and heard stories of stock motors go for what reason they had non. and they were on a safe tune and low boost. just how motors are built, some stronger then others. and granted to what i pushed my car to and had 60k miles is a very respectable number.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Mike is a funny dude. I know him personally/ i met with him once or twice, I even lost against him in drag race, back then in spring valley./ He is much better in person then on the net.
So don't bother him. He is a good guy after all. I think he just cant take the offensive opinion thru the net.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Jan 8, 2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike1023
im going to disagree with that since i was running that boost for a good amount of time and had it all logged and dyno. and a/f and timing was good.

i going more to wear and tear. and not replacing the necessary part.

we brake it down if you push the stock motor to the limits and do not replace parts more often then this would happen. i seen and heard stories of stock motors go for what reason they had non. and they were on a safe tune and low boost. just how motors are built, some stronger then others. and granted to what i pushed my car to and had 60k miles is a very respectable number.
Sounds like "hear/say". There area ton of people in the MKE area with high milage that have been running safe tunes at safe boost levels and never have problems. Running high boost on the stock motor with 93 only will eventually cause catastrophic failure.

did you really think that you were iconic by being the first person to log 30 psi on 93 without problems? Yes the AFR and timing gods approved, but the internals were screaming for help the whole time.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nez136
Sounds like "hear/say". There area ton of people in the MKE area with high milage that have been running safe tunes at safe boost levels and never have problems. Running high boost on the stock motor with 93 only will eventually cause catastrophic failure.

did you really think that you were iconic by being the first person to log 30 psi on 93 without problems? Yes the AFR and timing gods approved, but the internals were screaming for help the whole time.
look im not trying to make this be a show down and hit people. yes, i did say one of the main reason could have been the boost levels and what not. but was crazy how long the motor last with the amount of racing on it with out any replacement parts. there for im leading more to the gas that was sold to me was not 93.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WaxThis2005
A good shop like AMS wouldnt even have thought of tunning this car! DUMPA$$ for $1,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's a foolish thing to say.

It is absolutly idiotic to bash Buschur or Al for the failure of this motor. It is clear that Mike was not looking for reliability. He was looking to push his car to the limits and set some records. And sure enough he did.

Of course the tune was very aggressive, of course he was running a hell of a lot of boost on pump gas. Everyone knows this, its not like Big Al or Buschur would suggest to all their customers that this is what they should do.

I know Mike well and have been with him for nearly two years of intense racing. I would say of the 60,000k miles, about half were spent under full boost, lol.

Aside from the possibility of a bad tank of gas, I don't think there was any single factor that caused the motor to go. When you drive the car a lot, drive it hard, and push it to its limits constantly --- its only a matter of time.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike1023
look im not trying to make this be a show down and hit people. yes, i did say one of the main reason could have been the boost levels and what not. but was crazy how long the motor last with the amount of racing on it with out any replacement parts. there for im leading more to the gas that was sold to me was not 93.
I've been following your threads for a while and I will agree with you, it is amazing how long it did last.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not going to say anything bad or good about this but both my buddys with E flashes had identical flashes and both bad knock counts. But im not going to say from who cause i dont want any **** started.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 02:26 PM

Al or BR will not tune cars that aggresive unless the owner wants it that way. It would make for some very bad business if they did that and all our cars died. You think thats how BR has stayed in business for what 15 yrs? You actually proved it even more how strong the 4g63 is, 30 pounds on 93 for that many miles. Good luck on your goals.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

Btw the car is sick. I belive its wear on the engine. 30psi is extremely high but you managed it. 4g63 ftw
Old Jan 8, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

nice right up, good luck next season
Old Jan 8, 2008, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

good luck bro fix it and keep it moving it will only go faster **** the haterz
Old Jan 8, 2008, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

I love this, welcome back Mike.... lmao, I'm sooooo happy to be back...
Old Jan 8, 2008, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

thanks for sharing the info, sucks that people have to come on here just to talk shi*t. good luck with everything.

Quick Reply: Mike1023 Rebuild for stock turbo record of 2008!