Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mike1023 Rebuild for stock turbo record of 2008!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mike1023 Rebuild for stock turbo record of 2008!

Hello Evom,

More info and all will be posted when the deals are settled.

So please keep posted for new news updates.

2008-02-02 Evo Pick Up

Well it final is done more pictures and videos and what not will be made just not really got around doing it. but here is some more details photos will be shown tonight.

In pictures can see how the car looks after a year of sitting around. Ya it was washed not bad right LOL.

Check out the video of how the exhaust sounds haha nice it final runs.

Click here for little video of how it sounds

2008-01-24 Motor came out

Well i have some photos of the car status and yes the motor came out lets have a closer look LOL. If you see in the photos from before we only thought that there was one hole in the front of the block. Well when it came out of the car you can see wow a lot more happen then just that. take a look and comment on it. Now what do you think happen HEHEHE.

2008-01-16- The car move

As i told you all i will have some update photos for you so here they are. And it is time for the car to move out, we make a night move so no one see were it goes HEHE. And as you can see this is what happens to a car when it sites around for almost a year and does not move. not to nice car going to need a lot of mclovin.

As a lot of you have wonder were i have been and or what has happen to me well, in May 2007 my motor took a hit. Yes, there is a nice big hole in the block. Now i know some of you will say i told you, and some may want to know what happen. I want to try and stay away from people hacking me down, I'm here in the evo community to share my research and my goals.

I will be posting pics of my car as it sites to when it gets done and the testing and tuning and the racing. There will also be a good amount of videos to go with it.

As to what happen the night of the blow was this. I was coming home from a evo meet, and as you all know i like to run my car down way passed E for what reason weight, so i came to almost a puttt roll in a gas station, and fill up some gas.

I start the car let it run for a min or two i start to drive and driving easy, and my friend and I were in the car on the way to his house, and we just changed my plugs since they were starting to get some brake up. Any who we were on the Grand State Parkway were we do some test runs, and he was like hit it lets see if it fixed the problem, since the next day i was going to track to go for new record time. O before i go on what i changed, since at this time in the year people asked me have you loged your car this and that i said no never. So i did and i found that the QTP downpipe was making my car knock bad, so i give QTP a - remark on there pipe, anyhow so i put back on Buschur full 3in, and now there was no knock from the pipe not hitting the motor and oil pain and also tranfer case. We had it logging and all looked nice. So back to the test run, i hit it in 2nd all the way to top of 4th, and wow felt nice. Friend even said felt better but then i said no its just in are heads LOL. So i said we will see tmw at track. So your all wondering when did it go. Well i was just driving i was cruising in 5th and i went to get over and i hit it, and not even on gas really the motor pops. Oil and fire was coming on the windshield, so much clunking noise, and look behind me i had to over covered the hole highway of white smoke SICK!!! While all this was happening my friend has his legs up in air holding on to them screaming death LOL since he has a mustang and when his car blows up some times comes throw firewall. Anyhow im sitting there had car in nutrial and turn key off while i was laughing and smiling. Why, who knows was like a happy time or something, more or less nothing i can do about it so why cry about it.
So now we on the side of road and we need to get the car off the highway and back home, so we call up a couple of friends and they came to save the day, had one friend tow me off and then another friend the next day come with his flat bed to bring it to my house.
Was a long and funny night, i have attach some photos of that night.

So now it has almost been a year since i have done anything, last couple of months i have been looking around for some things, and im coming down to a couple of choices and looking for the best one to go with. I have some big name people helping me out and hope every thing works out and all goes well.

Last edited by mike1023; Feb 4, 2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

So as to what happen to the motor, dont know till we open it up and get a better look, but we are having the gas tested to see the oct. since i think it was that and a few other people also. As you all know may of 2007 was the time when some gas stations were selling 87 as 93, so who knows till we have a better look.

some others have said that just from the qtp knock it was pulling timing and it was making the rods bearings mest up and throw it off the crank.

well we all can have a say what has happen till we get close look and some test on the gas, time will tell.

i cant wait to open it up and see what has happen.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
i really did not understand much of what you said. but sorry for what happend in the pics.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good luck on the build
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Your thread fails. I can tell from reading your thread why your engine blew up.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

How about some spell check bra, I can't understand the words coming out of your mouth!

Were you still running 30+ psi on pump gas when your motor blew?

Good luck with the new build!
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Ahhh yes the normal haters!!! Just because i have a learning disability does not mean i dont know what im doing.

as i asked in the first post please non of that childish hating.

thank you
Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:18 AM
Evolved Member

Learning disability I understand and nobody is hating on you for that, simply stating it might make it easier for everybody to understand if you hit the "spell check" feature. Anyways, you're saying the motor popped on a 5th gear slow roll-on merge? I think it was just waiting to let go from the abuse you had previously thrown at it, and whatever it was that let the motor loose, was the last straw. Were you not tuned for the QTP cutout?
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mike1023
So as to what happen to the motor, dont know till we open it up and get a better look, but we are having the gas tested to see the oct. since i think it was that and a few other people also. As you all know may of 2007 was the time when some gas stations were selling 87 as 93, so who knows till we have a better look.

some others have said that just from the qtp knock it was pulling timing and it was making the rods bearings mest up and throw it off the crank.

well we all can have a say what has happen till we get close look and some test on the gas, time will tell.

i cant wait to open it up and see what has happen.
Where are you going to get the gas tested? Sounds like that could definitely be the problem.

I don't really see how the QTP down pipe could have blown the motor. If the down pipe was hitting the oil pan and causing knock, you have to remember that this is not real knock and is only noise. Sure it will cause the ECU to pull timing but unlike real knock, fake knock does not put any stress on engine internals like rods, pistons, or bearings.

In fact having the noise of the down pipe hitting the oil pan and retarding timing should make the motor less likely to blow since it will be running less timing and creating less cylinder pressure.

I am eagerly awaiting pictures from when you pull the head and take the motor apart. Once we see the inside of the motor it should be a lot easier to figure out what happened.

Good luck with the build by the way
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mike1023
i have been out for a year and things have changed.

looking to team up with some really good people and do some new things.
Originally Posted by Trevor
The S4 guy thats Marc, the S4 and Evo makin a return for 08
Sure doesn't sound like it...
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dudical26
Where are you going to get the gas tested? Sounds like that could definitely be the problem.

I don't really see how the QTP down pipe could have blown the motor. If the down pipe was hitting the oil pan and causing knock, you have to remember that this is not real knock and is only noise. Sure it will cause the ECU to pull timing but unlike real knock, fake knock does not put any stress on engine internals like rods, pistons, or bearings.

In fact having the noise of the down pipe hitting the oil pan and retarding timing should make the motor less likely to blow since it will be running less timing and creating less cylinder pressure.

I am eagerly awaiting pictures from when you pull the head and take the motor apart. Once we see the inside of the motor it should be a lot easier to figure out what happened.

I'm just wondering if you feel like a over aggressive tune or running stratospheric boost levels could have had anything to do with it. A safe tune will put you in much better shape of surviving the occasional bad tank of gas. Gas is the variable you really can't control and should be accounted for when tuning. Mike1023 was obviously pushing the limits of the tune+Gas he was running and I'm not shocked to see the results. When pushing limits things break...
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inco9nito99
Learning disability I understand and nobody is hating on you for that, simply stating it might make it easier for everybody to understand if you hit the "spell check" feature. Anyways, you're saying the motor popped on a 5th gear slow roll-on merge? I think it was just waiting to let go from the abuse you had previously thrown at it, and whatever it was that let the motor loose, was the last straw. Were you not tuned for the QTP cutout?
yes the car was dyno with the QTP Cut out and BR dp, both on the dyno were fine but off the dyno on road i was seeing diff so i changed it and the BR was deff better way to go.

Originally Posted by dudical26

im not saying the QTP downpipe did it at all. i was just saying to what some of the problems were and i fixed. this way to get down to why it happen.

but then again the motor had 60k miles on it and yes every one knows that car was raced to its last legs, so could of have just been its time and the rod let go.

and it was no ones fault just was to much wear and tare. and every one knows with a race car for say, you would want to change your bearing and check this and do more of a higher check list then a normal daily driver.

but all is well and hope the car is at a shop by the end of the week.

and yes im also on the edge of the seat to see inside the motor
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
good luck with the build
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zbomb
I'm just wondering if you feel like a over aggressive tune or running stratospheric boost levels could have had anything to do with it. A safe tune will put you in much better shape of surviving the occasional bad tank of gas. Gas is the variable you really can't control and should be accounted for when tuning. Mike1023 was obviously pushing the limits of the tune+Gas he was running and I'm not shocked to see the results. When pushing limits things break...
Yes i see what your saying i did push car but also have to understand i pushed it for 60k miles and the tune was safe and done right was on dyno many time and checked over and over. just does not make to much cents since i had driving car like that for so long on the setup and nothing was wrong till i went in to a gas station and had no gas filled up and then it goes pop. kind of leading to the gas.

again thats why i say there are so many different reason it could of happen, and wont know till we open it up and take a closer look.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Fatigue happens man.

60K miles +"raced to it's last legs"+"dyno many times"= Blown motor.

It happens

Quick Reply: Mike1023 Rebuild for stock turbo record of 2008!