Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

question about motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2008, 02:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about motor mounts

I'm thinking about doing some new Motor and tranny mounts. However I was wondering how much actually goes into doing it. Here's what i figure

parts to disconnect:
All Intercooler Pipping
Radiator
Exhaust (really just downpipe)

I would loosen the motor and tranny mounts... then use a Cherry Picking (engine hoist) and just left the motor enough to swap out the motor and tranny mounts.

So a couple questions, Do I have to unbolt the driveshalf? And is there anything I should do while i'm doing these two mods and i guess the most important question... will this idea work? hahaha

any other comments welcome
anyone has preferences on company mounts i'm all ears right now

Thanks
Old Jan 10, 2008, 03:47 PM

You will have to drop the brace that the frt mid mount is on (no biggy) and lower the trans enough to clean the studs on the trans. The transfer case might get in the way? Just did mine but had the motor out anyway. hope that 2 cents helps.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can check with prothane.I know they make mount inserts.Good quality and the prices don't seem to steep.
Old Jan 10, 2008, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UDLOZ2
You will have to drop the brace that the frt mid mount is on (no biggy) and lower the trans enough to clean the studs on the trans. The transfer case might get in the way? Just did mine but had the motor out anyway. hope that 2 cents helps.
O crap i totally forgot about like .. the front axles =/ umm
Old Jan 10, 2008, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Getting 2nd gear lockout?

The front engine mount is easy to get to and doesn't require anything other than unbolting the beam it's on. The engine doesn't move when you do this with the others in. The after-market front engine mount greatly increases engine noise within the cabin. It's loud enough that most people ask what's wrong with the motor that don't have them themselves. Keep your stock mount handy :-) Don't know if the inserts for the front mount do the same thing.

Some of the aftermarket mounts for the driver's side mount (tranny) require that you actually remove the mount studs from the tranny and replace them with bolts. This is not an easy thing to do with the tranny still in the car.

The rear mount, is hard to get to(.) I still haven't done mine so I can't comment further but it will go in when the engine is built.

The passenger side mount can be done with just a jack to support the engine and some patient coaxing. If you buy an Ingalls Stiffy _make_sure_you carefully look at their interaction. I had to do some grinding on my mount to make clearance for the Stiffy's mount.