Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: What to get?
RSX type-S
13.70%
Evolution VIII
86.30%
Voters: 219. You may not vote on this poll

RSX type-S or Evo VIII

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
For a daily? The RSX.

Reasons why:
It's nicer/more comfortable.
Better gas mileage.
MUCH cheaper to maintain
Cheaper insurance.

Even if you buy the Evo for the same price, you're going to spend a ton more in gas, insurance, and maintaince.

If you don't have the money to get a newer/good condition evo, then it's my opinion you don't have the money to handle all the extra costs either.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Once I test drove the evo, it was destined for me. It was my first brand new car, and I don't think I will ever buy a new car again besides the evo. Best purchase I ever made, all the hours I put into paying for it and working on the engine is priceless.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

The Evo is a bad-a$$ motherphuckin car! Pick the Evo hands down! I know alot of RSX guys, all cocky and $hit, showing me videos of rsx racing Evos on youtube. Give both cars the same amount of money to mod and the Evo will spank the crap out of the RSX on any surface, anywhere, anytime!
Old Jan 12, 2008, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

You cant beat awd! An rsx is never going to have the power or handling of an evo, you will just end up being disappointed if you get the rsx
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:20 PM
Evolving Member

My Roomate has a RSX type S with a supercharger exaust and a bunch of other things too. Its a great car and low maintaince too. Great for dd except only 2 door. My evo 8 is a much better performance car then the rsx type s. And is 4 door but is a little bit more costly on maintance. Like changing transmisson and T case fluids. For ur price u could get a evo 8 but have no money to mod and be costly for maintance. I deploy all the time i am in iraq right now i hate leaving my evo there. U want a great DD with slight performance for that price range and cheap to mod GET THE RSX TYPE S. If my roomate did not have one i would have bought it. Both great cars but RSX better for ur price range
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:51 PM
Evolving Member

No one should be comparing performance in this thread. He has 20k and needs a daily driver. The only choice in this scenario, between the VIII and the S, is the S.

For 20k you'll get a very nice and reliable Acura. Or you'll get a thoroughly used and heavily abused Evo. How is this even a thread?
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

I voted for the Type-S cause you obviously don't know what you want in a car
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

haha i was in the same position as you last year. i was set on getting an 05 RSX Type-S, but my friend at work (he drives a WW Evo 8) said i could get a used Evo 8 for slightly more $. i was then set on getting an Evo 8, but my dad didnt want me to buy a used car. took me a lot of researching and work to convince my dad to let me buy a brand new Evo 9 MR SE, but it was worth it! i'd take an Evo 8 over a type-s any day of the week, but i understand that it would have a considerable amount of miles and might need new timing belt, balancer belt, and/or clutch so that's another 2.5k for the car.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:08 AM
Evolving Member

Take my advice and go with the S. Yeah the evo is a better handing and performing car but the S is so much more nice and clean and a smooth ride compared to the tank riding evo. If your looking for a car to just get around in i promise you will be happier with the S. As long as you dont get it and put lowering springs and some other wheels on it and stuff. Just get the S and leave it stock and enjoy the luxery it offers as a 2 door hatch. Besides you get all your jollies from the bike right? Get the S and call it a day.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:14 AM

As a former RSX owner I would say EVO, but for a daily the RSX would probably be nicer and you don't really need all the nice stuff the EVO has in a daily driver..
Old Jan 13, 2008, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

oh haha i didnt even notice you ride too. surprisingly i have more fun driving my evo than riding my bike, but doing wheelies is a whole different story. haha the other reason i got the evo instead was before it was a 4 door car and i recently had a baby which meant it would be easier to load the car seat and had more space in the trunk for a stroller.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 02:45 AM
Evolving Member

For a dailydriver the rsx is much cheaper to run and more comfortable. But if you don't care about those things then the Evo isn't a bad choice either.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 07:43 AM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
I have driven an RSX-S and I absolutely hated it. I hated it so much I went out and bought a 1994 Eagle Talon TSi AWD and LOVED it. I have since moved on to a 2G and now had my Evo for about a year and a half. The RSX has one nice thing: its shifter. Then again, it is gutless! No torque, the interior is NOT as nice as people make it out to be, the seats are ok but nothing like recaros, and FWD just gets old. Lots and lots of reasons to go for the evo and YES maintenance will cost you more but if you make sure to actually do it instead of mods you will have a very reliable and insanely fun DD.

Repeat after me: maintenance before mods!

I have put almost 30k miles on my evo and love every second of it.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:01 AM

I sold my s2000 (turbo) for my evo and I'm glad i did it. Now my evo is stroked and making mad power without spinning out. Only acura i would get over the evo would probably be an nsx! But thats just me....
Old Jan 13, 2008, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I CAN afford to keep up with the maintenance of an Evo. The reason my limit is 20k is because I'm also getting a new bike (R1).

I'm really not going to beat this car up. I live on base so everything is close and by that time, I'll have 2 motorcycles to ride aswell. I may still consider an RSX, but I think the Evo is the way to go. The reason why I say this is I want more than just an ordinary car. I want something I can call my project and somewhat of a hobby. Plus, after riding bikes for so long, it would suck to have a slooooow car.

Thanks for your honest opinions. More opinions are welcome.

Quick Reply: RSX type-S or Evo VIII