Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

you think you have problems?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation you think you have problems?

so i buy my evo 8 used from this nissan dealership and the salesman says its got a BRAND NEW clutch in it. he says its an exedy stage 1 racing clutch. he didnt know squat about cars after questioning him so i just decided since the clutch felt fine and it engaged/disengaged fine there was no worries.

to further my interest i head on over to MZM Performance(work on evos/subies) and i talk to the dude that runs the place. he says he is friends with the guy who used to own my evo. says hes a cool dude and had a young daughter so didnt drive fast as it was his DD. he pulls up invoice after invoice for the work being done. the clutch swap was at 50k and i bought the car with 60k. its had all its fluids swapped out recently and everything saw it on the invoice. even the clutch is the exedy clutch so its all good on that.

that was like 2-3 weeks ago. i have had the car 1 month and the clutch went out. i have yet to launch it from a dig and pretty much baby it everywhere. im spirited every once in a while but nothing to dramatic on the clutch. i take the car over to aamco and they say that my clutch is burned up....and my first gear is going out.

...f*ck

im 19 and so i decide being that most car dealerships think of 19 year olds as no good punks i decide to take my bro with me. we get up there and he does most of the talking to the used car manager and the manager says well we cant cover the clutch. even on a new car right off the lot we cant cover the clutch. thats understandable its a wearable part. clutch swaps arent a big deal yeah its a bunch of money but its gonna happen so i dont worry over it.

they decide since its so new and what aamco said they are going to look at the car for free and check and see whats going on. when a car is sold and within a month things like that start breaking that fast with normal driving there is a problem.

so they call my dad since i was workin and this is what he gets(hilarious)-

"well mr. lee the clutch is burned up and we are not going to fix it because one of our associates saw your son STREET RACING AT A CAR SHOW."

we got the general manager of the dealerships (2 combined) to leave his meeting he was in and get on the phone with us. basically they tried to accuse me of being irresponsible and of street racing. i have never raced anybody at the car shows. i dont have the time to even make it to them normally cause i get out of work by the time its over. this is hilarious to me im not even upset because the guy damn near got fired for saying that. we all went off on him and so did his boss(the general manager).

in the end they are covering EVERYTHING-clutch, labor, and if the first gear goes out after the clutch swap they are covering that too! got that **** in writing!

basically we are good friends with both of the service managers on the pontiac/gmc side of the dealership and they are like excuse me you dont even know them and how that boy drives his car. how dare you make accusations like that.

but it sucks that ive already had the car broken into/clutch went out/and i need new tint and alarm now. and a clutch...maybe tranny.

the car has tbe,hks intake as performance mods. not enough to need a bad *** clutch so im going to be using the oem one. i dont drive the car really hard and im not retarded about it. its an evo-stuff breaks period.

im not really all that mad anymore i mean its better than having to shell out several grand for a clutch swap but its a bummer that this happened already.

friggin pwned...
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
You do know the clutch is the weakest point in our drivetrain right?

TBE, intake - no MBC (past/pressent/future) or tune? If you have those or ever plan on those you could burn through that clutch. Just a heads up or forward minded thinking.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:18 PM

yeah i need a tune and i know the clutch is the weakest point but going out that fast is crazy.

and i dont see how having the mods i have would make a clutch go any faster than a bone stock car. my thinking was the guy had some with the car before he sold it. or it needed a clutch put in it cause he burnt the one it had up and couldnt afford it so he traded the car in.

also im getting a tune just looking for a place that i can get some AWD logs in that isnt going to charge a crap load so i can get a tune. either mellon or somewhere local
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZLevo8
yeah i need a tune and i know the clutch is the weakest point but going out that fast is crazy.

and i dont see how having the mods i have would make a clutch go any faster than a bone stock car. my thinking was the guy had some with the car before he sold it. or it needed a clutch put in it cause he burnt the one it had up and couldnt afford it so he traded the car in.

also im getting a tune just looking for a place that i can get some AWD logs in that isnt going to charge a crap load so i can get a tune. either mellon or somewhere local
Hes saying while your getting the stuff done for free go ahead and get an upgraded clutch. If you have any plans on getting it tuned or doing anything else to the car it will go out sooner. I had 50k exactly when my clutch went out and ALL i had was a TBE, intake, MBC, and tune. Im a very conservative driver as well and it still went out. Even if they won't cover the cost of an aftermarket clutch have them put some money towards it and you cover the rest. The clutch is the cheap part of the equation.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:25 PM
Evolved Member

Exactly Tripper.

Ha - I have heard and seen kids eat clutches in under 500 miles. It can be done.

Eh - correct. Untuned you are not making more torque (maybe some more). And as you stated it had 10k of unknown miles on it from the last owner. Do request the old parts back - just to be sure of what happened to the old clutch. You will be able to see if it was glazed or fried.

Mellon is a good place to start.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:26 PM

yeah i dont plan on doing alot to the car just minor things. prolly wont ever swap out the turbo or anything like that im happy with the car the way it is. but the dealer wont put in an aftermarket clutch for free like they will the OEM
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Exactly Tripper.

Ha - I have heard and seen kids eat clutches in under 500 miles. It can be done.

Eh - correct. Untuned you are not making more torque (maybe some more). And as you stated it had 10k of unknown miles on it from the last owner. Do request the old parts back - just to be sure of what happened to the old clutch. You will be able to see if it was glazed or fried.

Mellon is a good place to start.
oh i know ive seen dumb kids eat up clutches like they have the munchies and there is a box of pop tarts sitting in front of them. its all about not being a dumbass. and yeah ive already requested all the old parts back
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Id say you off to a good start then Enjoy the car
Old Jan 12, 2008, 09:59 PM
Evolved Member

So what were the problems? Your story is no problem at all. Welcome to the ****ty world of Mitsubishi's dealerships.
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

I see more stuff breaking in the near future with your car. By the way what was the point of this thread? To tell us how your screwed the dealership out of a clutch job for a wearable part?
Old Jan 12, 2008, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

man your lucky there replacing that for you. You dont have any problems if there doing it all free of charge and they said they would replace the tranny if it breaks. You better hurry up and trash the tranny so they can get you a new one. Just kidding but congrats and welcome to the mitsu fam.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 09:30 PM

YOU think YOU have problems try this on for size.

Just got my Evo over Christmas break. Thanks to Adamhw for giving me a good price on his sweet *** ride, (full buschur everything, meth injection, evo green turbo, tuned by Buschur himself, and a sweet sound system, just to keep it short). Drove it back from West Palm Beach to Gainesville where I go to shcool. A day or two in a few of my friends are like "lets see the car" so I come over show them the whip. Hang out for a bit, have 3 beers, count them 3, from out about 11-12 (after I drove them around of course). At around 4 in the morning I decided I'd rather just go home than sleep on a couch so I drive back to my place. On way home I get pulled over by a lame *** cop who sais "I reak of beer". Gives me a full field sobriety test, I pass obviously, cause I haven't drank for like 4 hours. Then a state trooper arrives and has me blow. I blow a .027 well under the .08 DUI limit, BUT because I am nineteen I violate this statute where I can't have more than a .02 BAC. So now becuase I was 7 hundreths of a percent over the .02 I am going to have my driver's license suspended for 6 months. I still cannot believe that it happened, I never ever drive drunk, and a .027 basically confirms just that I WASN'T DRUNK at all. Now I am super f*****d by a whole bunch of people, the DMV, the Law, and especially my parents. I haven't even had my Evo for a week, a car which I worked my *** off to get. And you said you had a problem.

Last edited by john151; Jan 13, 2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old Jan 13, 2008, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

u only have a problem if u were UNABLE to get the car fixed. maybe next time u shouldn't buy a mitsubishi from a nissan dealer.

john151 i have no sympathy for you drinking at 19. i've never drank & i'm 34. the money i save on alcohol, DUI tickets, jailtime, etc allows me to have a faster car (+ multiple cars see sig) & not be restricted by anyone on when i can use any of them. i don't drink bcuz i have had many friends either kill or get killed when alcohol was in the equation.

back on topic- it's good to get ur car fixed but next time u wanna buy a performance car do not buy used. would u buy a used Porsche or Dodge Viper???
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Similar instance with my '03, only mine was broken into on the dealer lot while it was waiting for a clutch that was over a week and a half late from lancershop.com. Had to go round and round with the dealer for them to make it right. I had only owned the car 2 weeks at that point, but it was understood the clutch was almost toasted when I bought the car. I feel your pain!
Old Jan 13, 2008, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Glad to your your clutch is getting fixed! We all have to deal with the stupid dealerships one time or another

James

Quick Reply: you think you have problems?