Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remove the Wing=Less attention

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2008, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I cant believe after all these years, theres still not a solution besides get a different wing or fill the trunk lol
Old Feb 7, 2008, 06:34 PM
Evolving Member

Put the lancer (no center post) wing on -- looks great! Don't hesitate. Ordered mine from Autowingking on ebay, (yeah, goofy name, but REALLY nice stuff)ordered Mon. delivered Wed., couldn't believe how quick they shipped. Flawless paint job, LED third brake light. Still kept the "bookshelf" wing for when the mood strikes!

Mike
Old Feb 7, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Trail Slide
I cant believe after all these years, theres still not a solution besides get a different wing or fill the trunk lol
I finally riped mine off. Went to autozone and got some interior/bumper plugs and painted them the same color. Just need to put them in. I will post up some pics when I get it done in the next couple of days. I need to get it all washed and buffed though.

I finally got sick of jakelegs roadragin on me by tailgating and stuff. Maybe this will help tone it down a bit. Not really a big fan of wingless or the lancer wing or any of the other options, but I will get into trouble sooner or later with the wing.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 06:48 PM
Account Disabled

Lol i got pulled over leaving circut city.. cop says im a suspicious looking vehicle and i reply with all due respect officer im a 23 year of white guy with a 37 thousand dollar brand new car.. IM NOT STEALING ANYTHING.. come to find out when i purchased my car outright they ****ed up onmy registration.. cop ofcourse gave me a ticketfor that.. AFter that wing came off 2months no trouble i completly agree..

Last edited by mitsuboost30; Feb 7, 2008 at 06:52 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage
people fail to realize that a cop will only harass you if you are driving and acting like an immature idiot on the road, winged or not.
I wish that were true, a few years back I was pulled over in my 02 civic SI because I "blipped" my exhaust. The cop checked my vin # to make sure the car wasn't stolen and then went on his way. I would have made a huge scene if I wasn't drunk

In some areas cops will pull you over without probable cause. Unfortunitly there are bad, bored cops out there.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

to the people who dont understand why "if you're not doing anything wrong" it doesnt matter if you're doing anything wrong, cops can and WILL pull you over for anything -- "your tire was on the yellow doubled sided line"...bottom line is if you have an evo, be prepared to be pulled over, plain and simple.
-btw evos esp. with exhaust are def pulled over w/ or w/o wing. :-)
Old Feb 8, 2008, 07:35 AM

I dunno, I was put off by the wing for a while, but it has grown on me. I am kinda an old guy too, and I kinda like the reaction the car gets (because most people don't expect me to drive something like that). Also my wife cracks up every time a group of teenage boys passes by and almost breaks their necks doing a double take.

The one time I was pulled over, the cop asked why I was driving so fast, and I just said, "...look at my car, sir." He let me off with a warning. Being old is nice...if I was in my late teens or early 20s and the same thing happened, he'd have written me up for 5 mph faster than I was going AND found 2 or 3 other things wrong with the car.

Last edited by Joehunk; Feb 8, 2008 at 07:38 AM.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tried to remove my wing the other day..... got 4 bolts out but the wing is still attached to the trunk due to cushion double sided tape. Decide to put it back on and wait for a CF trunk instead
Old Feb 8, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Wingless Is The Way To Go, I Rocked Mine Wingless For A While And Then Went On To The Rexspeed Type C, Which Has Gotten Me Pleanty Of Compliments From Those Who Know Bout The Evo...not As Much Attention From The People Who Don't
Old Feb 8, 2008, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

Hell yeah. That's the one I'm going to get.

+1 Rexpeed
Old Feb 8, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Smile

I had the Type-C for a while, then went with the lancer one. Great spoiler, just not the look I wanted. I prefer the lancer wing, but it may be because I have VII tails and a mostly debadged trunk which gives it a clean look. To each his own!

MIke
Old Feb 8, 2008, 07:20 PM

I JUST got the Rexpeed Type-C and love it!!!! I have had way less attention with the locals and state troopers. Actually I get more attention now because people look at it as evil instead of ricer.
Attached Thumbnails Remove the Wing=Less attention-rexpeed-type-c.jpg  

Last edited by Titan1swt; Feb 8, 2008 at 07:35 PM.
Old Feb 8, 2008, 07:40 PM
Evolving Member

im sure someone has mentioned this already but my old 03 evo had a much lower profile stock spoiler on it. i doubt it had the same downforce but if your not looking for that find a guy whos got the short clean one and wants yours. btw i was never pulled over but only drove it for 6 months. course maybe it wasnt stock, but i think it was
Old Feb 8, 2008, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJedi77
Evo with Evo wing = Evo

Evo without Evo wing = lancer.

it is as simple as that no matter what excuses you people come up with.

Its like me buying an M3 CSL and tearing out the carbon fiber roof to put in a regular one + sunroof. Then throwing led weights in the trunk. Then changing the tires. It would no longer be special like its supposed to be...I just dont know what to say to everyone defacing their cars like this.
Plain ignorance. Just as posted before the RS EVO HAS NO WING!
You make it seem like the wing is horsepower.Its only useful in the curves.Look at almost every evo at the drag strip......

Wingless=less drag,more visibility out of window,low profile sleek look.To each his own.Im happy wingless.Go tell every sports car owner without a wing that theyre defacing their car.That'll run smoothly.

You have like 100 mods in your sig and Id walk you out with your wing on.I bet you cry every time you lose to a wingless evo dont you.

Last edited by ImJoey; Feb 8, 2008 at 09:56 PM.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 12:37 PM

I like my wing and would never take it off. I'm a young guy (22) so I may be biased because my generation was exposed to the Fast and the Furious. Don't think I'm a fan of those movies or a riceboy, though.

I get very little police attention in my car. It's white like yours. The exterior is stock. I think it's because of the car's color and the fact that it does not have the typical sports car profile (think 350Z, Corvette). Slap on a bodykit, 5% tint on every window, big rims and other loud accessories and you'd probably be screwed.

No cop around here even knows what the car's make or model is. I am treated the same as when I sometimes drive my parents' cars (Jetta, Camry). I have 20% tint, too.

I only drive like a COMPLETE jackass SOME of the time.

I don't use radar detectors, but if I were you I would see if I could behave slightly better in any way and buy a Valentine 1.

Quick Reply: Remove the Wing=Less attention