Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remove the Wing=Less attention

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2008, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I live in a small town outside of Nashville TN where the cops have nothing to do except profile cars like mine. I would get pulled over once a week it seemed and for nothing. They would never cite me for anything just harrass me a little and let me go on my way. I wanted to take my wing off just to see what it would look like and how I would feel about it, I stopped getting pulled over as much. So I just kept it off. Worked like a charm!
Old Feb 9, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

haha i removed my wing for a few days and the first time i popped the truck without it on it flung open

i guess with the little weight the wing adds it keeps it from doing that.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 07:08 PM
Evolving Member

There are many Evos in my area, and all of them still have the stock wing on them. I never see any of them pulled over at all. I've had my SE for two months now and while it gets attention from lots of people, cops really don't pay it any at all. They always seem to pull over the rich *****es in their Cayenne's and the d-bags in their BMW's that act like they own the road. I'm leaving mine on for now, but if I start to get a bunch of grief, then I might pull it off or get a CF trunklid.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:07 PM

I'm currently wingless. I do love the look without it, but got my hands on a VIII wing and just sanded it all down so its all carbon fiber. The only reason stopping me from putting it on right now is that i have a RS trunk with no holes : \

As for cops... I got pulled over and given a speeding ticket when i really wasn't speeding and the cop had someone else pulled over when i drove by. Then right after he got me he pulled over the next car that passed by lol.

So I'm curious to find out how much more attention I'll get from cops after I finally decided to put it on.

Pictures for viewing pleasure

Car

Soon to be on wing... maybe
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

it was the best decision i ever made...like everyone said the only attention i get is from someone who can really point out an evo wingless. and plus i think it looks amazing now. stupid me limo tinted the whole car, which looks amazing, but thats the only thing cops bother me bout
Old Feb 9, 2008, 10:34 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts
I started with an 03 Evo and liked the look of the wing but felt conspicuous in the car. I had that car less than a year before getting an 04 RS (wanted the simplicity and light weight for racing). I sort of liked the wingless look, especially with VII tails, but I always thought the Evo looks best with some sort of wing. Just recently, I got a good deal on another trunk with a wing and put it on along with some IX tails. Car looks much better to my eye now, though it might just be that change after 3 years is good.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate the term Ricer. Its used so loosely....keeping the STOCK wing doesn't make you a ricer....if someone in a ca wants to try you....you can choose to participate in the stupidity or leave it alone. Its no different then when some EVO owners try M5's or Vette's .

The car doesn't make you a ricer....your attitude does.

I also love the whole (I'm grown up so no wing arguement)....if you want to be a grown up and think the STOCK wing makes you look like a boy racer then go get a Bimmer.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

The first time I ever got pulled over in my Evo was right after I pulled the wing off . It was for excessive speeding though. I realize now that the wing made me drive slower because I knew everyone was looking at me. I'm going to add an O2 dump now to prevent myself from using wide open throttle in inappropriate places. No self control. Hahaha.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 08:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Green Meanie
I hate the term Ricer. Its used so loosely....keeping the STOCK wing doesn't make you a ricer....if someone in a ca wants to try you....you can choose to participate in the stupidity or leave it alone. Its no different then when some EVO owners try M5's or Vette's .

The car doesn't make you a ricer....your attitude does.

I also love the whole (I'm grown up so no wing arguement)....if you want to be a grown up and think the STOCK wing makes you look like a boy racer then go get a Bimmer.
hell i tryed to race a viper in a stock IX its not about winning its about seeing the other drivers "beat" on there hi-dollar ride and get on it its a hobby lol
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

here in LA it’s a must to take off your wing. Because you don’t only get bad attention from cops but also every ricer that has seen FF movies. Since i the day i took off my wing i haven’t received any hassle from anyone. (knock on wood)
Old Jun 4, 2009, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Location: South Beach, FL / Miami, FL / Pt. St. Lucie, FL / NYC
I love my wing. I have a full exhaust, tinted windows(matter fact my windshield is tinted too), and the wing is on. Cops don't even pay attension and where I live there is an area where alot of street racing goes on I drive that road all the time no cop ever bothers me
Old Jun 4, 2009, 01:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by C_LosEvo
here in LA it’s a must to take off your wing. Because you don’t only get bad attention from cops but also every ricer that has seen FF movies. Since i the day i took off my wing i haven’t received any hassle from anyone. (knock on wood)
I thought la cops where the ****! when i bought my evo in fresno i drove thru la on the way home and raced a new m5 in traffic cop got behind us hit the lights pulled up besides us and gave us the nono finger then did the same to the m5 then dipped
Old Jun 4, 2009, 01:57 PM

I've taken the wing off my car and I have noticed that I get less attention. I remember before I was getting tickets left and right for even minor things. It's like the police see the wing and immediately start checking out the rest of the car for faults. After I took the wing off I haven't had any problems since, but maybe I've just been lucky since then. Either way the wing will attract attention, so for me I either go wingless or be ready for the scrutiny.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TyeVO
hell i tryed to race a viper in a stock IX its not about winning its about seeing the other drivers "beat" on there hi-dollar ride and get on it its a hobby lol
Thats what half this game is about. I'm saying not that isn't fun....thats half the reason for modding a car....take a car that nots supposed to do something and modify it so it does it...and does it better then cars built for that purpose.

But one of the arguements I keep seeing on here is once the wing came off they didn't get "ricer's" trying to race them......I know plenty of honda's and SRT's that are stupid fast. Besides EVO owners display the same "ricer" mentality when they race higher end cars.....see my point. Thats why the ricer term doesn't apply here. A ricer is someone who fronts like their car has something special (IC and no turbo.....big talk but run's 16's all day in a quarter mile with their super expensive cut/heated springs. 200 shot of nitrous and nothing else, 19 inch wheels on a car that came with 14's. Knock off high end wheels and trying to front like they are the real deal). THOSE ARE RICERS.

Some of the reasons people take the wing off (as described by this thread) are just hilarious to me. If you don't like the wing...fine. Take it off because you don't like the way it looks, like a another style of wing, or because you are allergic to carbon fiber. Just don't say **** like "Oh I don't get ricers trying to race me, or I want people to take me seriously as an adult.

You knew what kind of car you were buying. Unfortunatly this type of car (esp. now since the used car market sucks) attracts a certain type of buyer/admirer/law enforcement. Deal or sell it. That simple.

I feel for the people that have been stopped for no other reason but the fact that you drive a car that is known to be a aftermarket performance dream. Or because of OEM equipment. It really does suck. Cop's are like people....they can be @$$holes too.

Oh and another thing:A full 3 inch turboback exhaust doesn't make you a ricer. If my 3 inch Greddy Ti-C makes me a ricer because it gives good performance gains for the money and I happen to like Trust products then you need to have your head examined. Not everyone likes a loud exhaust.....your choice/preference/opinion and you are entitled to it, but don't look down on people that buy a "performance oriented" exhaust that happens to be loud. I love my exhaust...i would've bought it if it was the quietest one on the market...sound was not my concern. My exhaust is not a "fart can".

Some of the semi elitest attitudes on some of the Evo forums amazes me. Our cars are not very far removed from the class of an accord. Its still a 4 door sedan...that just happens to have the quarter mile and tracking potential of cars costing 3-8 times more.

No way in hell am I removing something from my car that came as standard OEm equipment because I don't want your kids trying to race me or cops harrasing me....I look at it as cost of doing business. I knew what I was getting into getting this vehicle. if I didn't want the hassles i would've bought something else "lowkey". That was the last thing on my mind...best performance/liveability were my only prereq's.

I hope no one takes this personally. I just hate when the term ricer is used/implied generally.

I'm 32 and i will always have a boy racer in the garage. I am not what I own.

Last edited by SmurfZilla; Jun 4, 2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well said geen meanie

I have seen and know some crazy fast honda acura fords etc that are in the mid 550 whp bracket, technically all imports are considered ricers by true muscle car owners. If its not american muscle its a ricer. So i could careless when people say it or say a wing does this etc. its a car that gives out a certain image period. Taking off the wing does not attract less cops or others your driving style and where you go and how you act does. Trust me most cop depts are well trained to know what car is switch. yes there are aggressive cops out there that have nothing to do but the wing did not cause them to pull you over. its the fact its a evo and most people race them. i loved my oem wing still have it in storage but i wanted a wing that looked better and would give me more benifits on the track so i went to a riser apr. Its adjusable and servers all my needs not to mention i can see out my back window now with the higher center portion. NOW EVOS are rare where i live cops know my car is fast and i dont hide that fact with the wing intercooler and all they dont bother me. NOW when i first got my evo and i was racing/speeding i got two tickets then none since and i have way more done to my car then when i first got it. its all in how you drive. Oh and as long as you own a evo your going to be considered a boy racer. if you want to be so called respected by others then yea a benz or jag or bmw will do that and give off a different image if thats what your going for.

Quick Reply: Remove the Wing=Less attention