Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remove the Wing=Less attention

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2009, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Green Meanie
Thats what half this game is about. I'm saying not that isn't fun....thats half the reason for modding a car....take a car that nots supposed to do something and modify it so it does it...and does it better then cars built for that purpose.

But one of the arguements I keep seeing on here is once the wing came off they didn't get "ricer's" trying to race them......I know plenty of honda's and SRT's that are stupid fast. Besides EVO owners display the same "ricer" mentality when they race higher end cars.....see my point. Thats why the ricer term doesn't apply here. A ricer is someone who fronts like their car has something special (IC and no turbo.....big talk but run's 16's all day in a quarter mile with their super expensive cut/heated springs. 200 shot of nitrous and nothing else, 19 inch wheels on a car that came with 14's. Knock off high end wheels and trying to front like they are the real deal). THOSE ARE RICERS.

Some of the reasons people take the wing off (as described by this thread) are just hilarious to me. If you don't like the wing...fine. Take it off because you don't like the way it looks, like a another style of wing, or because you are allergic to carbon fiber. Just don't say **** like "Oh I don't get ricers trying to race me, or I want people to take me seriously as an adult.

You knew what kind of car you were buying. Unfortunatly this type of car (esp. now since the used car market sucks) attracts a certain type of buyer/admirer/law enforcement. Deal or sell it. That simple.

I feel for the people that have been stopped for no other reason but the fact that you drive a car that is known to be a aftermarket performance dream. Or because of OEM equipment. It really does suck. Cop's are like people....they can be @$$holes too.

Oh and another thing:A full 3 inch turboback exhaust doesn't make you a ricer. If my 3 inch Greddy Ti-C makes me a ricer because it gives good performance gains for the money and I happen to like Trust products then you need to have your head examined. Not everyone likes a loud exhaust.....your choice/preference/opinion and you are entitled to it, but don't look down on people that buy a "performance oriented" exhaust that happens to be loud. I love my exhaust...i would've bought it if it was the quietest one on the market...sound was not my concern. My exhaust is not a "fart can".

Some of the semi elitest attitudes on some of the Evo forums amazes me. Our cars are not very far removed from the class of an accord. Its still a 4 door sedan...that just happens to have the quarter mile and tracking potential of cars costing 3-8 times more.

No way in hell am I removing something from my car that came as standard OEm equipment because I don't want your kids trying to race me or cops harrasing me....I look at it as cost of doing business. I knew what I was getting into getting this vehicle. if I didn't want the hassles i would've bought something else "lowkey". That was the last thing on my mind...best performance/liveability were my only prereq's.

I hope no one takes this personally. I just hate when the term ricer is used/implied generally.

I'm 32 and i will always have a boy racer in the garage. I am not what I own.

Amen.

Last edited by Toxin; Jun 4, 2009 at 03:55 PM.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed! But only flaw is it draws in the stupid ricers...which think you just have a lancer with a fart can lol.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

I dont get this whole attention thing from cops. I have never once been pulled over in my evo. I have been pulled over in my parents buick and in my old saturn but never in my evo. The one time I got pulled over the cop told me to take it easy and let me go. I do get a lot of people who want to race but i just ignore them
Old Jun 4, 2009, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by def1
I dont get this whole attention thing from cops. I have never once been pulled over in my evo. I have been pulled over in my parents buick and in my old saturn but never in my evo. The one time I got pulled over the cop told me to take it easy and let me go. I do get a lot of people who want to race but i just ignore them
Surprisingly, I personally don't notice added attention from police either. I drive conservatively for the most part but I like to have fun when its due. The one time I was pulled over was when I was caught speeding (unknowingly and driving normal) on an unfamiliar rode, I was let go.

I think I understand it - If you drive aggressively with an aggressive looking car I feel like police are more likely to notice you. In general, I don't think police care what kind of car you are driving, but if you catch their eye while WOT or going sideways you will get them on your *** quickly.

Of course you will have some officers who will associate you with another crowd but I bet there are some officers who will actually like your car and let you off easy. Bias.

In my opinion, if you act and drive in a mature method, I am sure you won't be hated on by most officers and be OK.
Old Jun 4, 2009, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AngryEvo8
Agreed! But only flaw is it draws in the stupid ricers...which think you just have a lancer with a fart can lol.

LOL you got jokes.......I'm too tired to get back on my soapbox
Old Jun 5, 2009, 09:33 AM

Whoever took their wing off sell it to me lol
Old Jun 5, 2009, 09:40 AM

Just removed mine. Too many cops in the neighborhood, will see if it helps
Old Jun 5, 2009, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Cops are always going to profile sports cars; we are given a bad name by the ricers who do the organized street races. When a cop pulls you over & sees you're not some 16 year old racer boy, most likely he is going to send you on your way (provided you don't have 5% tint or crazy loud exhaust). If you like the way your rear end looks then there's no reason for you to take it off. Our cars are attention getters and you should feel good driving them; afterall it's your money.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

I have my wing, tinted fronts, shiny exhaust, illegal front plate and live in **** *** Cali and have never been bothered by the bacon. Just dont drive like a jackass. That has worked for me through 3 years of a suspended license.

Then again everytime i see a cop i roll down the front windows and coast in neutral so they dont hear my exhaust. and when I drive I am ALWAYS on the lookout for cops. Maybe that has something to do with it also

Last edited by veilside prius; Jun 5, 2009 at 11:49 AM.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 04:11 PM

overall, wingless was a good move. advantages: faster to wash the car, can see easier through the back disadvantage: less stability at high speeds.
Old Jun 5, 2009, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great post green meanie...

Not sure if it would've been related to my former evo having a wing or not, but when I did own the LY Evo, I did get pulled over a couple times for b/s reasons. Ever since i got my silver evo, have not gotten pulled over without reason.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by veilside prius
I have my wing, tinted fronts, shiny exhaust, illegal front plate and live in **** *** Cali and have never been bothered by the bacon. Just dont drive like a jackass. That has worked for me through 3 years of a suspended license.

Then again everytime i see a cop i roll down the front windows and coast in neutral so they dont hear my exhaust. and when I drive I am ALWAYS on the lookout for cops. Maybe that has something to do with it also
That's the problem with owning this car in CA. I don't want to dedicate my driving time to staying low key around cops. Every intersection, every street, highways, etc. It gets old fast and sometimes you just want a car that is worry/stress free.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by abdizzle
That's the problem with owning this car in CA. I don't want to dedicate my driving time to staying low key around cops. Every intersection, every street, highways, etc. It gets old fast and sometimes you just want a car that is worry/stress free.

Completely understandable. Esp. in CA where street racing has been a huge problem according to law enforcement and media hype.

For the majority of us I would hope removing it is a personal choice/preference as opposed to doing it because you think it makes you look more mature or you don't want ever yahoo with a modified car to try you at every chance they get.

I hope Ga never becomes like the communist states of CA or VA......I'm already contemplating moving back to Toronto.....that would just speed my decision.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

For those who removed the wing - did the high speed stability change? Do you feel a difference?
Old Jun 6, 2009, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by abdizzle

Second that!

Quick Reply: Remove the Wing=Less attention