Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remove the Wing=Less attention

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2009, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Fack the popo
Old Jun 7, 2009, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just build a 9 sec evo and dip on them problem solved!
Old Jun 7, 2009, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I dont understand why some ppl freak out about the wing. If the cops eyeball you, so what??? I drive the speed limit and they eyeball me and I give them the stink eye right back to their stoopid faces. I cant stand cowboy cops! The ratio of cowboy cops to chill cops is astronomical.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:39 AM
Evolved Member

i put a tall apr wing on mine. ftw
Old Jun 8, 2009, 08:24 AM
Evolving Member

id say as long as you arent getting pulled over for the wing leave it onn i like the wing..well sometimes it does cut what i see in y rear view mirror in half lol
Old Jun 8, 2009, 08:34 AM
Evolved Member

my wing is off right now, from time to time i like to switch it up give the car a different look. im a bout to throw it back on either way the car looks good. for covering the holes for a temporary fix some painters tape works wonders
Old Jun 8, 2009, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

im going wingless for sure, it attacts too much attention
Old Jun 8, 2009, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by huevosrancheros
I dont understand why some ppl freak out about the wing. If the cops eyeball you, so what??? I drive the speed limit and they eyeball me and I give them the stink eye right back to their stoopid faces. I cant stand cowboy cops! The ratio of cowboy cops to chill cops is astronomical.

I don't know if you've ever heard of "circumstances" but different states/cities/areas have Police trained to be aware of specific things on cars which leads to profiling. Not to mention here in CA where emissions is strictly enforced, mounting a big wing on your car means a cop can assume you are modified thus your car is no longer passing smog standards.

I've noticed a lot of guys who live in the middle of no where spouting these comments like "Why would a cop care about the wing to pull you over? I've never been bothered" Well buddy you live in the middle of no where.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Atlanta isn't the middle of nowhere and I haven't been hassled. Although I think CA is an extreme case since street racing has been more of a constant/consistent issue then other states.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by EVOEMS
Can I get some feedback from owners who have removed the rear wing, are you getting less negative attention, i.e., cops and rednecks in trucks etc... I am 49 drive to and from work in a suit, love the EVO, still a newbie, but the unwanted attention it gets from cops and jerks is unbelievable. If you have taken off the wing, have you noticed less attention? I think it kind of looks like another jap econo car without the wing. I do love the look of that big sucker out back though.
I think going wingless make the car look sleeker and personally I get less attention from cops , but on the flip side people rev up to me more when I don't have my wing on (Voltex).

Couple of Examples of wingless:

Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
/\ the white evo with red rims is a pretty bad example for wingless...if i was a cop i'd still pull that over - too flashy
Old Jun 8, 2009, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wingless

It is definately true that going wingless is much stealthy, I just bought my evo last Saturday June 6 ,2009...in wicked white flavor with the stock non-BBS wheels and I think the car is much stealthy looking however loses the menacing edge when viewed from a angle. I work in C.Cola HQ in ATL. and definately see a lot of IT personnel driving/parking their Evo's alongside BMW & Lexus with the wing and they don't give a shhhhh about. My excuses is that I park next to my manager.

I see a few a times where the Evo wings should be taken off.
At the funeral parking spaces(see the movie Fast & Furious-"funeral scene" ),

and at the dragstrip.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Oh I read on the automotive magazine(i think reader review section)
driver was driving 2 miles below speed limit and got pulled over
also had small remark saying "maybe its my wings?"
Old Jun 14, 2009, 06:07 AM
Evolving Member

Im waiting for my REXSpeed Type C Carbon Fiber Lip to come in, I get some looks from people, its getting Debadged also...... I get worried about getting a ticket because of the Attention. On my Way home I have a Hill to Climb that is right at a 3 Way Intersection. I get on it and that BOV always has the Cops staring so I figure that taking the Wing off will "Cut Down" on the Chance of a Ticket.
Old Jun 14, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

I'm thinking of removing the wing only because the damn c/f clear is starting to fog...

Quick Reply: Remove the Wing=Less attention