Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remove the Wing=Less attention

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2009, 09:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone know the oem part number for a 02-04 lancer painted (tarmac black) wingless trunk lid?

All I can find online is lancer trunk lid, but none mention the color of the trunk lids.

Old Oct 11, 2009, 12:53 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
^^^Well said Mr.Zeus......One of reasons I bought the RS......I felt I was a bit too old (Over 40 LOL) for the wing........But what really sold me was the crank windows & no ABS......Anyway, The wing is a beautiful piece & my 10 year daughter wants me to be a 2 deck lid guy (1 w/ wing & 1 w/out).....Recent pic......Peace

Now that's a clean car an old guy can appreciate. Going towards the topic of attention grabbing, bet you fly under the radar for the most part!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 12:35 PM
Evolving Member

But i will lose 50 hp!!!!!
Old Oct 13, 2009, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

yeah who has the part number for the tarmac wing less oem trunk? or i think im just gonna go with the rexspeed type c wing..... idk i bolts right into the oem holes so that may be better any imput?
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by EvoJedi77
I dont obey the laws in any sort of way. You just have to know where and when you arent going to be seen (or rather where you could make a faster getaway then a police interceptor can) before you drive crazy.

If people are going to ***** out and take off the wing they should NOT have an Evo under ANY circumstances. Its maybe as stupid as starting a fuel economy thread about our cars....

Wait nvm nothing is as stupid as that.
Sorry if I **** in your cornflakes too but the Evo looks meaner without the wing in my opinion. It's nice but you have to admit it is not the most mature looking thing on the car. I always said back in the days "if I get an Evo or Sti first thing I will do is evict that silly wing from my trunk" and I stuck to that.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ill speak from experience....i have my car wingless and winged....Im going back wingless with a carbon trunk. I got alot less attention with out the spoiler...been called a liar quite a few times people ask me if it was a Evo....but obviously the dont really know what a Evo looks like lol
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Ill speak from experience....i have my car wingless and winged....Im going back wingless with a carbon trunk. I got alot less attention with out the spoiler...been called a liar quite a few times people ask me if it was a Evo....but obviously the dont really know what a Evo looks like lol
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I am a firm believer in doing what you want to your own car. The wingless evo looks good to me, but on my car, I had to put it back on. I took it off to reclear the carbon fiber, and the car just didn't look right to me. If I get some more aggressive wheels, then maybe I'll take it off again. Rght now though with the drop and factory VIII wheels, I decided to keep it on.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by MatosEvo
Sorry if I **** in your cornflakes too but the Evo looks meaner without the wing in my opinion. It's nice but you have to admit it is not the most mature looking thing on the car. I always said back in the days "if I get an Evo or Sti first thing I will do is evict that silly wing from my trunk" and I stuck to that.
The exterior of the Evo doesn't really scream out maturity. Maybe I'm use to seeing older people drive higher end cars.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Tangerine
The exterior of the Evo doesn't really scream out maturity. Maybe I'm use to seeing older people drive higher end cars.
Being from Miami I am used to seeing high end cars as well. That wasn't my point. My point was it looks more mature without it. You have to take into consideration that the evo's appearance is more function that form. You have to make some sacrifices to build a rally worthy car out of a Lancer shell.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

I switch back and forth, just for fun.

With my wing off, I never get a second look from older people or police. Younger people still noitce the car and I get the occasional compliment. It's nice. I enjoy the more "mature" look of the car, yet still somehwat aggressive.

I put the wing back on and it's like my car is bright orange with naked ladies painted down the sides with laser guns on the roof, all while shooting lightning bolts out the hood vent. I get death stares from older people.

Just the other day, some old man runs out into the street in front of me SCREAMING, waving his arms, yelling at me to slow down. I was going 40 in a 35mph zone... may god have mercey... Yeah, I was technically speeding, but seriously? Over-react much? So you think if a middle aged woman in a Toyota Sienna went by at 40mph he'd be out in the raod screaming at her.... no. Next time, If I ever see him again, I won't be so nice as to swerve around him. I think I'll drop a gear and go open wastegate stright towards him... jerk. Ok, so I probably won't do that, but it's funny to think about

Still, I get the occasion compliments from somebody younger with the wing on. Having the wing on is my first preference because of the aggressivness. But taking the wing off everynow and then makes me feel seperated from the "Fast and Furious" crowd, which is a good feeling.

Last edited by MitsuJDM; Oct 14, 2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2009, 08:28 PM

i swear with the wing on everyone wanted to race me, dumb****s in camaro's, mustang's, trucks, ricer's, soccer mom's, grandma's..
Old Oct 14, 2009, 10:09 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
I must live in a really conservative town because rarely does anyone want to race me with my winged Evo. I've probably only had five people try to race me since I bought the car three years ago.
Old Oct 15, 2009, 12:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MatosEvo
i agree ..... same here
Old Oct 15, 2009, 02:31 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had both wing'd and wingless. There's no question that wingless brings less attention. No one noticed my red RS, or the GG SE when it was wingless. Ultimately, as a middle-aged man, I decided that I just don't give a flying fruck. So, I proudly sport the wing.

Quick Reply: Remove the Wing=Less attention