Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remove the Wing=Less attention

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2009, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's funny, but the majority of people owning EVO's drive closer to the speed limit to prevent being pulled over. I watch all the BMW's, or any other car for that matter, just fly by me way over the speed limit and they don't have the same issues...I don't think you see a thread like this on the BMW site about covering up things on their cars to prevent being pulled over.

This is highly unfair that we get harassed when others do not. It's not likely that people who spend copious amounts of time modding their EVOs, racing at the track, coordinating as a group on sites and at meets would be involved in illegal activities.

Perhaps we need to ask for the stats of EVO's being pulled over and the illegal activities that the people were found doing, verses the illegal activities found when other cars are pulled over. I think it would be close to zero for EVO owners.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 08:34 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I average 80... hence the removal of the wing... now it's almost like the "other" cars are under the microscope.
<edit>removed grumpy old man comment</edit>

Last edited by Zeus; Oct 31, 2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE=threepointsix;7670725]Do what the woman say....wife told me my evo looked gay wingless....Wing is there to this day....you go ahead and drive your guilty shoebox wingless and post about your deliberation or accept the fact that winged boys stick better above 70 and screw the dragstrip trap speeds. If you want a 'fast car' for car bowling take it off and loose the guilt/gain mph the nbolt it on for daily driving, or....

paint it black or strip paint down to carbon and have the best of both worlds, low key/grippy:

whipped!
Old Oct 31, 2009, 09:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by meltdown
I picked up 3~4mph at the dragstip taking mine off
With what other mods added on?
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:15 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

highly unlikely.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 11:29 AM

I gained three hp from taking my wing off!!!
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
Interestingly, both my sons want me to remove my wing. Although after seeing this video, I think I will keep it on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0oJ2wQiu2Y

I am sure it is already on here. But here it is again

Don
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Roadrunr
Interestingly, both my sons want me to remove my wing. Although after seeing this video, I think I will keep it on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0oJ2wQiu2Y

I am sure it is already on here. But here it is again

Don
I don't see you going this fast, plus the guy said he removed the stock wing cause it was bending. So a better wing would need to be used at these high speeds.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

I bought mine wingless for this reason plus I think they are to big. And iI've never been pulled over or even looked at twice. and thats with a carbon fiber front end lol
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:55 AM

Bought my rexpeed rear wing last week , having them paint it too. Anybody know how long it takes to have it delivered usually ?
Old Nov 8, 2009, 07:40 PM

mine goes on and off sometimes, im undecisive but IMO im keeping it offf and yes i dont get much attention from the damn 5-0
Old Nov 8, 2009, 07:50 PM

I understand about getting less attention if wings were removed, but if I do that, I know I will miss it soon Evos are meant to fly. Not speed but just flying low.
Old Nov 8, 2009, 09:04 PM
up

I wanna go wingless, but it doesn't look right without a jdm rear imo.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by diviniti
I fully agree. If you are doing 100mph in a 45mph zone, whether or not you have a wing on is not a factor in if the cop will pull you over or if the laser/radar gun will clock you. If you drive like an idiot, you will get pulled over (period). I don't care if you have a 15' tall wing on the back... Drive safe and obey the laws, and there is absolutely no reason to get pulled over. If you do get pulled over and you are obeying the laws and your EVO has absolutely no illegal aftermarket items on it that can give the cop a reason to pull you over.... then I dunno, douche cop I guess.

I see all these people saying "when I had my wing on I got XXX amount of tickets!" like its the wings fault. Well I ask all of you people, WTF were you doing to receive the tickets? Sure a cop can come up with a b.s. reason to pull someone over, but I want to hear the b.s. remarks about "I was not doing anything wrong and got a speeding ticket!". Removing the wing doesn't improve your age status or maturity if you still drive ***** out like a zit faced 16 year old delivering pizza.
I've been pulled over 5-6 times all non-moving violations of course all my fought with tint, exaust, ect.. cops hate around here and ricers they tend to segregate
Old Nov 10, 2009, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can vividly remember that I got stopped three times in one week while driving in Killeen, Texas (home of Fort Hood). I removed my spoiler for some strange reason (I wonder why) and I haven't been stopped or pulled over since and I know that I've been caught off guard during a spirited drive. It's funny how EVOs are looked upon as "ricey" all because of the wing. I guess without the wing it looks more like a *ahem* sedan.

Quick Reply: Remove the Wing=Less attention