Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remove the Wing=Less attention

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2010, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm thinking about removing mine. I already removed the gauges from the pillar and am getting rid of my CF lip to get less attention. I had really bad experiences with because of the look of my Evo 5...
Old Mar 17, 2010, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
screw that! thats the point of and evo or sti. they are rally cars! if i wanted something less aggresive or eye catching i would of bought a 3series or a 350z. I love my wing, i aight cutting the horns off my bull!
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:16 PM

looks really nice mifesto
Old Mar 18, 2010, 02:19 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Green Meanie
You guys must live in a high import acting stupid area or something.....LOL. I haven;t been pulledover yet for doing nothing wrong.
Here, rev'in on someone has actually landed people in jail for "racing". Whatever...

I always thought the look of the wing was utterly "boy racer-ish" anyway, but it's stupid that it garners so much attention here. When I had it off, the only thing I really missed was my rear view being blocked. Never noticed any added benefit under triple digits as it were. People will argue otherwise, but then again, those same people SWEAR they can "feel" a 5 hp difference from their new Walmart intake
Old Mar 18, 2010, 02:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I guess i'm one of those people then. when i was swapping back to a stock trunk from the chargespeed carbon trunk i had it off for a trip to the store. i went around some high speed curves to see if i could feel a difference, and at 60+ the rear end was definitely looser than with the wing. i prefer the look of the wing, and if you're doing any racing on track, the car is better with it than without it. i don't think mitsu's engineers spent all that time designing it and the VG's just for looks.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 03:54 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

If you ARE one of those "one percent-er's" who actually track the car, I could not agree more... otherwise, it's all for show.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 08:21 AM

wing looks great i think and is a keeper, its the most attractive wing of any car out there i think, and is worth it even with all the cops eyeballing me down. and the tickets.. :/
Old Mar 18, 2010, 05:32 PM

wingless EVO = sleeper
Old Mar 18, 2010, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

Is the wing utterly boy racer? Yes. Is it the most attractive looking wing out there? Yes. Is it functional? I believe Mitsu designed it to be functional, not within sane limits on the street maybe, but definatly on the track. Have not been able to bring myself to remove mine even with the boy racer stigma.
Old Mar 18, 2010, 06:35 PM

I replaced my standard wing with a low regular lancer spoiler and actually got MORE attention for the unique look
Attached Thumbnails Remove the Wing=Less attention-las-vegas-009.jpg  
Old Mar 19, 2010, 03:20 AM
Evolving Member

took it off and have cf lip now. Dont think I will ever go back to it unless I really miss it too much lol!

Its a huge difference, not a problem with cops at all and the sleeper look attracts other lancers trying to race me!
Old Mar 19, 2010, 06:30 AM

my RS came with a wing installed by the previous owner, been thinking about removing it back to how it came from the factory
Old Mar 19, 2010, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Love my wing, and out here in Scottsdale, theirs way too many exotic/ridiculous cars for cops to care. Lambos/Ferraris/Porsches, an Evo is the last car they want to trail around.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by XK120
Much less attention, and I think it looks much better/more mature. I was sick of everybody looking at me giving me that "grow up" look.
I'm tired of that too. This is a good thread, didn't know how hard it would be to cover the holes but sounds like it's no big deal at all.
Old Mar 19, 2010, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Not only do I love the "boy racer"/"ricer"/"useless wing". I also added a gurney flap and a rexpeed type 3 spoiler in addition too.

I could care less if its not functional. I like making my car look good (its all subjective/relative but I think it looks good). If I got harrassed all the time then I may think different but I always get complements on the car and I've even had cops stop me to ask me questiosn and even had one challenge me and a friend/fellow evo owner to race when he got his modded Ford Lightning out of the shop

Quick Reply: Remove the Wing=Less attention