Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remove the Wing=Less attention

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To the world I look like a Lancer.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

I still get pulled over... no front plate and straight piped! I ask for it but the wing on or off the car would make little difference in my case.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by mr.almeida
To the world I look like a Lancer.
don't care about the world, just the cops.
Old Apr 3, 2010, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
If I go with a carbon trunk or when I repaint the car the wing is coming off for good
Old Apr 3, 2010, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if I got harrassed all the time I may think different but for those of you saying that its more grown up......go get a Sedan like a Audi or BMW. This is my boy racer. I'm proud of that. If I need a grown up car then I will go get an accord or IS or something less boy racer.

OEM wing ftmfw
Old Apr 3, 2010, 09:14 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

This thread has nothing to do with who likes the look of what. With that said though, I thought the Evo looked butt ugly from day one. HOWEVER, also have I personally loved the performance of the Evo since day one (bout when I started modifying it). My 03' Evo (with 91k on the ticker) brings a smile to my face every day... yet it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with it's looks. Image is for children... performance is everything. If I could get an AWD C6 Corvette, I would... wouldn't be parting with my baby to do it though. This thread IS about whether you get less attention (the wrong kind) if you are wingless though. Seems the vast majority says yes... At least here, I've proved that to myself without a doubt. Even with the same Patrol Officers.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 05:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
unless your doing something wrong who cares if you get more/less attention from the cops. What are half of you guys driving around with kilos of coke and dead prostitutes in the trunk?
Old Apr 4, 2010, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Zeus
This thread has nothing to do with who likes the look of what. With that said though, I thought the Evo looked butt ugly from day one. HOWEVER, also have I personally loved the performance of the Evo since day one (bout when I started modifying it). My 03' Evo (with 91k on the ticker) brings a smile to my face every day... yet it has ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with it's looks. Image is for children... performance is everything. If I could get an AWD C6 Corvette, I would... wouldn't be parting with my baby to do it though. This thread IS about whether you get less attention (the wrong kind) if you are wingless though. Seems the vast majority says yes... At least here, I've proved that to myself without a doubt. Even with the same Patrol Officers.
Well said.
Old Apr 4, 2010, 08:23 PM

im pretty sure a cop can tell a difference about your car when he hears your cams loping at idle.. although i will say the amazing view that you get by removing the rear wing on the back window is priceless
Old Apr 5, 2010, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by babieeddie
im pretty sure a cop can tell a difference about your car when he hears your cams loping at idle.. although i will say the amazing view that you get by removing the rear wing on the back window is priceless
You'd be surprised how little some cops know about cars...
However, they will know by exhaust note that the car is at least modified.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 08:59 AM
blx

Originally Posted by BlaqRex
You'd be surprised how little some cops know about cars...
However, they will know by exhaust note that the car is at least modified.
Haha this is true. They are always quick on the loud exhaust
Old Apr 5, 2010, 03:49 PM

grew up in the suburbs, cops were really bad about any sort of car modifications or things that drew attention ... guaranteed harassment. Now that I am a bit older, and have moved into the city, I fortunately have none of these issues. I have concluded that city cops, unlike those in the suburbs, have real issues to deal with, hence not needing to worry about a wing on my car, tint that is 15% below legal, an exhaust that has a little roar, sans front license plate, etc. Instead, city cops have to focus on real crime - good for them!
Old Apr 5, 2010, 05:50 PM
blx

Originally Posted by ball7068
grew up in the suburbs, cops were really bad about any sort of car modifications or things that drew attention ... guaranteed harassment. Now that I am a bit older, and have moved into the city, I fortunately have none of these issues. I have concluded that city cops, unlike those in the suburbs, have real issues to deal with, hence not needing to worry about a wing on my car, tint that is 15% below legal, an exhaust that has a little roar, sans front license plate, etc. Instead, city cops have to focus on real crime - good for them!
Such a pity that police make owning such a nice car a headache sometimes. I am sure that they have ebtter things to worry about
Old Apr 5, 2010, 05:58 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Here in Texas, the popo have their windows up all but a couple days a year (hot as hell here). Therefore, unless you are being a complete ***, no worries on them "hearing" even my 6 year old Megan TBE. Pretty much big wings, funky colored wheels, graphics, etc grab the eye, and the "wrong" attention. I've been pulled over for "driving the wrong car". That's only happened when the wing was on. Looking like the below, does not crawl under their skin enough to get a second look.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

I just bought my IX 2 days ago.

Already getting lots of attention here in MI on Woodward Ave. Just sold my Cobra and I think I'm going to miss roaring it around and having cops give me thumbs up. Just cruising in 5th at low rpm I get tailed by a local for over 5 miles. Even followed me off Woodward and rode my *** trying to get me to speed up.

Eventually he got pissed and whipped a U-turn across a double yellow line nearly squealing his tires and scaring the **** out of this minivan driver not expecting the cop to fly in front of him/her.

But *I'm* reckless sure...... I simply do my best to always narc on the cops whenever I see them not signalling or running reds only to stop right across the intersection at the gas station to buy a drink and fill up. I call the non-emergency number and act like an offended citizen who just "cant have the police out there driving like that". I provide the location, car number, and appearance of the policeman/woman.

The Sarge usually is very happy to listen and doesn't want his men making the department look bad. I'm glad my reporting *also* has chances of interfering with that officers income by directly attacking his job. The same way their BS effects my income and cash flow.

The wing is coming off since it's day 2 and the attention is worse than my "pull me over Red" Cobra.

How are you getting the tape off without harming the finish?
(I know I'm bumping the thread, but with 30+ pages I figure it's somewhat relevant to keep the wing discussion here.)

Quick Reply: Remove the Wing=Less attention