Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remove the Wing=Less attention

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2010, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The wing definitely garners negative attention (case in point I got pulled over the other night because the cop claimed I had my brights on. $76 and 3 points!) but I can't stand the car without it. To me, it looks like two completely different cars. The front is mega aggressive, but from the back it looks like any old Japanese import. Just my opinion, but it obviously gets less attention without the wing.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i picked my evo x with non SSS wing or small wing
i really wanna change my wing to voltex or SSS wing but i know i'll get attention from cops .
without wing, it just look like a regular lancer...
so im thinking of going do luck trunk...but i dont know....i want wing on my evo though...
Old Nov 7, 2010, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

I took mine off and i have to say it is a huuge relief. I never got hasseled with cops with no wing. My car is hella loud so it really suprised me. I would recommend taking it off if you wanted to lay low. The wing is an eye sore for cops.
Old Nov 7, 2010, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by acidtonic
I just bought my IX 2 days ago.

Already getting lots of attention here in MI on Woodward Ave. Just sold my Cobra and I think I'm going to miss roaring it around and having cops give me thumbs up. Just cruising in 5th at low rpm I get tailed by a local for over 5 miles. Even followed me off Woodward and rode my *** trying to get me to speed up.

Eventually he got pissed and whipped a U-turn across a double yellow line nearly squealing his tires and scaring the **** out of this minivan driver not expecting the cop to fly in front of him/her.

But *I'm* reckless sure...... I simply do my best to always narc on the cops whenever I see them not signalling or running reds only to stop right across the intersection at the gas station to buy a drink and fill up. I call the non-emergency number and act like an offended citizen who just "cant have the police out there driving like that". I provide the location, car number, and appearance of the policeman/woman.

The Sarge usually is very happy to listen and doesn't want his men making the department look bad. I'm glad my reporting *also* has chances of interfering with that officers income by directly attacking his job. The same way their BS effects my income and cash flow.

The wing is coming off since it's day 2 and the attention is worse than my "pull me over Red" Cobra.

How are you getting the tape off without harming the finish?
(I know I'm bumping the thread, but with 30+ pages I figure it's somewhat relevant to keep the wing discussion here.)
!amen! My friend... i hate cops and their car stereotypes. Hate the fact that an american muscle makeing all the noise in the world dont get pulled over for it, and just like u said...give u the thumbs up. Yet one jdm car has an exhaust and all hell brakes lose. Soo gay. Im keeping my wing on. Its an evo, not a cheap piece of cr@p. But yeah i understand the extra attention u get from evos.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Not just cars... look at all the VERY loud Harleys and the like out there.... I know my evo, or my other previous race cars did not put up decibal levels like those two wheeled furies...
Old Nov 8, 2010, 06:26 AM
Evolving Member

i dont think the wing gets more attention by cops. I am only 18 and have driven by many cops and have not been pulled over yet. I have been pulled over in my eclipse only 3 times and only 1 was for the loud exhaust yet no ticket for that. I have had cops behind me while im driving the evo and nothing has happened. The wing is 100% legal so they are not going to bother someone for having the wing on.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

ya im 18 as well and have never been pulled over unless it was related to speeding...that would be my fault not the wings =D
Old Nov 8, 2010, 09:18 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 777 Likes on 592 Posts
I definitely get more attention in my black Evo than my white Talon, but Im hoping my "Disabled Veteran" plates offset that. BTW, Disabled Vet plates FTW. Never having to renew registration or emissions is amazing. Though dumbasses always asking why I have dealer plates gets old.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 02:08 PM

sometimes cops can be **** with people with tinted windows too because they think you could be hiding something inside.
i had two cars that was tinted and been pulled over for no reason . they wanted to check if i was hiding anything but i wasnt.
so this time, i decided not to tint my evo and see what happens from there.
i hate being pull over by stupid cops for no damn reason.

and ive decided to get wing. i dont care what cops say since wing is perfectly legal for most cars.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 03:46 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Enough of the Cop bashing... Someone HAS to be the law or the VAST majority of people would ALL be victims, and FOOD for the few. They are no more dicks than the rest of us. More than others, less than most.

Thats the end of it.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 05:23 PM

Never got pulled over, but did just recently change out the big wing with the Rexpeed C-Type, color matched, spoiler. Perfect fit, lower profile, a little more grown up.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
I had mine off for a while while it was being refinished. It needs to be refinished again, so it will be coming off soon. I will say that at night the wing does provide some shade from other driver's headlights coming through the rear windows. To me, my car looks neutered without the wing, and I drive like a grandpa so no attention from cops. Besides, the DA is my buddy so I take my tickets to him and buy the cop some coffee. If you're nice to them, they're nice to you. Simple.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

I never tried going wingless. I'll give it a try in the sake of cop-attention but then again my car is yellow. But I have a feelin it wouldnt sit good on a LY..
Old Nov 8, 2010, 06:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Dylan
Never got pulled over, but did just recently change out the big wing with the Rexpeed C-Type, color matched, spoiler. Perfect fit, lower profile, a little more grown up.
Check and check... like the carbon look though on the AS color... which "looks" is a little out of my character. Function over form for me, for the most part.
Old Nov 13, 2010, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

I finally pulled mine off tonight. The hairdryer idea worked flawlessly for me.

I must say I like the look of the car better without the wing.... feels a lot more grown up.

Sorry for those who swear by the wing

I'm happy now though

Quick Reply: Remove the Wing=Less attention