Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remove the Wing=Less attention

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2010, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just took the spoiler off last weekend and backed the car out of the garage this afternoon.
My neighbor looked over and asked who's it was.
Told him I took the spoiler off and he just said it looked like an entirely different car.
me- "really?"
Old Dec 5, 2010, 09:43 PM

personally think wingless looks cleaner
Old Dec 6, 2010, 03:31 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Poughkeepsie NY, Central Jersey Shore, Fort Meade MD
i think the evo looks good no matter what...my car came with a carbon fiber trunk when i bought it but there are gaps in it so i have been running the stock trunk till i can get it fitted so im curious how the attention factor will change when i get the trunk fitted. as for now and two weeks of driving the car while home on leave i was pulled over twice for stupid reasons but let go because they know damn well they had better things to take care of.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 04:34 AM

I had my wing off for about 3 months and just put it back on last weekend. Haven't received much attention either way. To folks around here, without the wing it's just a boring old car and with it I'm a ricer at first glance and never get another look. Had the car over 2 years and have yet to be pulled over.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 06:51 PM

I've heard from a lot of my friends that are wingless that they don't get pulled over.....as much
Old Dec 6, 2010, 08:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dtkb87
I've heard from a lot of my friends that are wingless that they don't get pulled over.....as much
I call that bs, just look at the post above. A cop cannot pull you over for having a huge wing. Their had to be a reason why they got pulled over with the wing on making them think it was the wing. This past weekend i passed 10+ cops and none of them even followed me.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 08:55 PM

agreed... its how stupid ppl drive that get em pulled over... and loud *** exhaust systems.
Old Dec 6, 2010, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOEMS
Can I get some feedback from owners who have removed the rear wing, are you getting less negative attention, i.e., cops and rednecks in trucks etc... I am 49 drive to and from work in a suit, love the EVO, still a newbie, but the unwanted attention it gets from cops and jerks is unbelievable. If you have taken off the wing, have you noticed less attention? I think it kind of looks like another jap econo car without the wing. I do love the look of that big sucker out back though.
Here is my thought, and i think it just makes sense;

The car looks pimp with the wing, and the car looks clean and pimp without the wing. For a cleaner look, i give it a to wingless, but the way i drive i prefer having the wing there for extra stability/downforce

So after being wingless for a week i decided to throw it back on as it is functional, and my safety is far more important then looking clean. All depends how you drive is what it comes down to, because if the wing doesn't benefit you, then choosing between style without the functionality part of it should be an easy choice.
Old Dec 7, 2010, 01:11 AM
Evolving Member

I have both for my RS, but the only time I got really hassled was when I cruise with my winged trunk. Probably doesn't matter much after he's got you pulled over anyway but I do beleive were profiled a little easier with the wing. Just my two cents!!
Old Dec 9, 2010, 10:46 PM

I live in cop haven LA and have yet to be pulled"knock on wood" but I have to say I want to go wingless in the near future
Old Jan 16, 2011, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

For those who went wingless, how did you cover up holes?
Old Jan 17, 2011, 07:16 AM

I love my stock wing, but I wanna know from those who have gotten pulled over with wings mounted what kinda tickets they were issued, speeding? If so that explains it all right there, I think its more the way these cars are being driven than the way they look that will get you pulled. As for the rest of the drivers on the road, thier just jealous they ain't got one......
Old Jan 17, 2011, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

People were getting pulled over before because the EVO was still a new car. Owners in smaller cities and towns always get mistaken for Honda guys with big wing. EVO's have been around for a while now and now that people and cops are starting to know what the car is, they treat it like anyother sporty car out there. If you drive like an idiot then you should really have no problem. Well maybe unless you have a loud exhaust or something to really make you stand out. Why take the wing off if it's something like tint or exhaust that grabs attention, especially in states like CA. I think this issue has been covered way to many times.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took mine off when I got the car cuz the guy before me sanded the paint off the outside part to make it full cf which I personally did not like. I wouldn suggest running around with tape or a sticker over the holes. Either weld them up and repaint it the right way or, buy a cf one like I did and if u don't like the cf look just repaint it. A.) It will be lighter. B.) Looks stock minus wing and no holes once painted. C.) U can keep the stock trunk like I did if u want or feel the need for the wing later on. U could also look into a regular lancer trunk withou wing holes. I'm not sure if it will fit tho so research that as it might be a little cheaper.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

i noticed a lot less wierd/dirty looks when i took mine off

Quick Reply: Remove the Wing=Less attention