Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remove the Wing=Less attention

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 09:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for those who put's their wing back, what do you guys use to put it back? under the wing?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you may get less attention without the wing, but i personally think wingless makes the car alot less agressive. like cutting off it's ***. with or without the wing, driving fast will get attention. tell those rednecks to suck on a 70's era roadrunner mopar ***. they were the first with the bigass wing on the street. LOL.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an RS with all the badges removed. First time I got pulled over the cop asked me what kind of car it was. This was after he gave me the ticket
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kdash106
for those who put's their wing back, what do you guys use to put it back? under the wing?
just some double sided tape. nothing special.
im also mixed, i like the look on both of them. i put mine back only cuz it was raining and i didnt plug my holes. may keep it winged or not. well see. im in the middle
one thing fur sure though, way less attention from other drivers/cops

heres a pic wingless
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

I'm 23, and u guys are messing with my mind! I love the wing, but now that I see the comments. makes me go wingless! hahaha
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:30 PM
Evolved Member

Ive taken mine off and on since I got my evo in June.Just decided to pull the wing off for good.Rexpeed type c cf is on to hide the holes and add some bling to the rear.I will say the back of a wingless evo seems quite short but itll grow on you.I used to think the wing made an evo before I bought one as well.My taste changed after driving it.

Last edited by ImJoey; Feb 19, 2008 at 07:13 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 11:40 PM

I got pulled over the first day I got my car and when he was walking up on his radio he said "its a black sedan with a big fin on the back." He only pulled me over cause it was late and suspected me of drinking but I was totally sober so he apologized but his comment still proved that people definitely do notice the wing.

With it off I get A LOT less attention. Also, not having an extremely loud fart can exhaust is another way to attract a lot less attention to your car.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkyz
No need to remove wing, The wing doesn't attract attention, your driving and the sound of the car does.
I fully agree. If you are doing 100mph in a 45mph zone, whether or not you have a wing on is not a factor in if the cop will pull you over or if the laser/radar gun will clock you. If you drive like an idiot, you will get pulled over (period). I don't care if you have a 15' tall wing on the back... Drive safe and obey the laws, and there is absolutely no reason to get pulled over. If you do get pulled over and you are obeying the laws and your EVO has absolutely no illegal aftermarket items on it that can give the cop a reason to pull you over.... then I dunno, douche cop I guess.

I see all these people saying "when I had my wing on I got XXX amount of tickets!" like its the wings fault. Well I ask all of you people, WTF were you doing to receive the tickets? Sure a cop can come up with a b.s. reason to pull someone over, but I want to hear the b.s. remarks about "I was not doing anything wrong and got a speeding ticket!". Removing the wing doesn't improve your age status or maturity if you still drive ***** out like a zit faced 16 year old delivering pizza.

Last edited by diviniti; Jan 15, 2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 03:42 AM
Evolving Member

I like the low pro look i took mine off the next morning after i bought the car
Old Jan 15, 2008, 05:49 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with some of the posters who are saying, "If you do nothing wrong, you won't get a ticket." But I think there is a grey area, maybe 5-10 mph over the speed limit where they will take the type of car into consideration. 5 mph over in a 1990 Honda Accord = no ticket. 5 mph over in an Evo = ticket.

I was making a right hand turn at a stop light the other day. I was at a standstill but pulled away hard because I like taking corners quickly in the car.
A cop was coming the other direction on the road I had just pulled onto. He was making a left turn into the gas station on the corner. When he saw me pulling hard, he stopped his car right in front of me in the road. Mind you, I was still well within the speed limit and had not squealed any tires. The only thing he would have notice was the sudden acceleration and possibly the exhaust note, and of course the car with the huge wing on it. It was around the time that the high school kids get out and I think he was expecting a teenager in the driver's seat. He stared at me for a second and I stared right back. He pulled into the gas station and that was that. The car does get more attention from cops than I would like. The funny thing is, when I drive the same way in my Supra (huge wing on the back), I do not get the unwanted cop attention. Its like they know what vehicles cost too much money for teenagers to drive and tend to ignore them. The Evo does look too much like a teenagers car. Oh well, its still fun to drive.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 06:41 AM
Evolving Member

I am 49, don't drive like an idiot, but it is amazing how cops will follow me in the evo, same cops , same stretch of road as I drive in my DD chevy, they will pay no attention to the chevy or my BMW, but the evo, it is like they are waiting for an excuse...., I may go wingless for a while to see what the difference is.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 07:13 AM

I am 46, I live in the country but have driven all over CA and have not had any problems being followed or messed with. The fire dept sticker may help a little. I Like my car with the wing, I did put on a quiet exhaust with no tip. I rarely drive the speed limit except in town and in residential areas. I do get looks from cops and other drivers but no challenges so far with 4000 miles that I put on the car. Its cool to see some other older guys on here, most of my friends had no clue what an EVO was. I am keeping the wing.
Glen
Old Jan 15, 2008, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

I have an RS and without the wing I hardly get any attention, especially with the quiet stock exhaust. I'm 33 and don't need any of that, especially from the cops. I have enough speeding tickets as it is.

It sucks though, I personally think the wing looks decent and more importantly it's functional. Too bad it has such a negative image.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Quote from a cop in court when I got a ticket for tint and exhaust. He said "Once I saw the wing on the defendant's car, it caught my attention and when I took a better look at the vehicle, I noticed the tint and the illegal exhaust". I was going 25mph in a 25 zone. Everyone goes 25 because its a well known speed trap area. The cop was parked and pulled out to follow me. 5 seconds later I got pulled even though I was going the speed limit in 4th so the car would be as quiet as possible. My conclusion is, the wing draws attention to every other exterior mod. And no, you don't have to be driving reckless to get attention from the cops. All you have to do is stick out.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Don't get me wrong, I love the wing, the way it looks and the fact that it is functional, not just for looks. It was one of the first aspects that made me pay attention to the car. That is part of the issue,some of us don't wat the negative attention, just the performance the car is capable of. That is why I will always use the wing at the track, and probably long trips. It just gets to be a hassle around town as a DD.

Quick Reply: Remove the Wing=Less attention