Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remove the Wing=Less attention

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:06 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wingless
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removed mine after a bs streetracing ticket. since then i have been pulled over a few times, and haven't recieved a ticket yet (knock on wood). also doesnt hurt that i got firefighter's license plates and a FOP sticker now too. also get a lto less attention from ricers ect. i actually miss people noticing the car from time to time.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

get ready for "is that an evo?"
my reply " not its my 12 second lancer oz rally edition, how much we putting on this?"

Last edited by CAD EVO; Jan 17, 2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Wingless = I could careless what people think of me with my two foot wing. If that were the case, I wouldn't of bought an Evo. I just don't understand why people are so worried about cops unless of course their always breaking the law. I've heard stories about profiling younger folks but was anyone ever pulled over and "ticketed" when they didn't do anything wrong? If so, what did the ticket say? Or, are people just ticked about being pulled over and harrassed when they've done nothing wrong? This may be the case sometimes.

IMO, I just don't think the Evo looks that good without the wing.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

I was in the drive-thru of a taco bell and the 2 guys working there were speaking Spanish, but it was fairly obvious what the conversation was.

"is that an evo?"

(other guy leans out the window and looks to the rear of my car)
"no"
Old Jan 15, 2008, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

More wingless love
Old Jan 15, 2008, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Wink

Originally Posted by TheGVR4kid
I was in the drive-thru of a taco bell and the 2 guys working there were speaking Spanish, but it was fairly obvious what the conversation was.

"is that an evo?"

(other guy leans out the window and looks to the rear of my car)
"no"

Well that does it! I changed my mind... If we can't impress taco bell employees without our spoilers we should all keep them!... JK
Old Jan 15, 2008, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E\/0IXG$R
Well that does it! I changed my mind... If we can't impress taco bell employees without our spoilers we should all keep them!... JK
Seriously. I'm upset by the lack of man-love-attention I get without the wing.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 09:29 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm 44. I used to have a RS and I loved not having a wing. It took me a while to get used to the wing on my SE, especially to the somewhat obstructed rear visibility, but I've come to terms with it. The car does get a lot more attention with the wing.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm planning on going Wingless this spring too... will probably get a CF trunk so I can leave the wing on my OEM trunk. Cops are very jealous sometimes so less attention should equal no police following you around
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:11 PM
Account Disabled

I love not having my wing on. I can see better and my car is more low pro to those that don't know.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Nvr2old32
Wingless = I could careless what people think of me with my two foot wing. If that were the case, I wouldn't of bought an Evo. I just don't understand why people are so worried about cops unless of course their always breaking the law. I've heard stories about profiling younger folks but was anyone ever pulled over and "ticketed" when they didn't do anything wrong? If so, what did the ticket say? Or, are people just ticked about being pulled over and harrassed when they've done nothing wrong? This may be the case sometimes.

IMO, I just don't think the Evo looks that good without the wing.
ive got the perfect ticket story for this:

I'm driving down the interstate between my uncles house and my house, and im driving exactly 75 in a 70. This is normal for me even on the interstate and the fact that i didnt have a lot of gas was deterring me completely from wanting to floor it. So the whole road is completely empty except for this rapidly growing dot in my rear view that with in seconds is less that 10 feet from my rear bumper. Mind you this is a 4 lane road, if this guy was in a rush he'd just go around. Turns out its a BMW Z4 that sounds a bit louder than average. For a good 5 minutes this guy is tailgating me severely roaring up next to me, honking, and then tailgating me some more. So i decide to call the police cause for once im actually somewhat afraid for my life. The guy notices im on the phone and speeds off. I explain everything to the dispatcher on the other end and she asks me if i can get a tag number. At this point the guy is pretty far ahead, maybe 1/8th mile or so. So in this some what intense state of mind with my adrenaline going i decide to step on it to catch up.. cause im thinking the ladys like giving me permission to. I never ended up catching the guy so i told the her sorry i couldnt get it, but she assured me that there was a trooper stationed no less than a mile ahead and he'd definitely see him. Actually it was about that exact moment that i passed the trooper. So about 2 minutes later i see this trooper with his lights on coming up in my rear view and im like wow no way that actually worked, and my exit is right there, so i pull off my exit and notice him following me. So im thinking bs youve honestly got to be ****ting me. The trooper comes to my window and says son you were going 110 mph back there, so i say how fast was that bmw going, he replies, "i dont know, it was a bmw, i dont need to worry about him." and i say your kidding me right.... and he gets this 'im an authority' tone and says, "Do i sound like im kidding. Youve got this little jap racer with that massive wing on the back, you probably drive like that all the time."- case and point, right there. in the end i argued with him some more, told him to look at my ticket history which was completely clean, told him the entire story, and he still tickets me. Which now i have to go to court for because i was going over 100mph, and just because i was on the phone with a dispatcher doesnt give me the right to speed. So in the end that maniacal driver that scared me out of my wits and left me feeling completely violated got away because he had a car thats more popularly respected by these holier than thou authoritative figures known as cops.

So that is why im considering taking my wing off.. also getting tailed by cops non stop isn't enjoyable either. That should be a good enough story to prove that the wing does attract attention and can get you in trouble when your not doing anything wrong, and in my case trying to do something decent and right.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

Taking off the wing because of cops = Running Scared
Old Jan 15, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 82NoMe
no, its actually = don't have time to deal with their BS.

ie: every morning im rushing to work (as im sure lots of us do)...in those 3-8 minutes that cop pulls me over for THINKING my wing is aftermarket or my car is modded will make me late for work and simply ruin my day. End PS: 05 STi's look better wingless
Old Jan 15, 2008, 02:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 82NoMe
its not about running scared, its about not wanting to be hassled, you wouldnt say using a wallet instead of walking around with money in your hand is running scared.
its just common sense for me considering the experience ive endured. You can't have this self-righteous idea that if you keep standing up against cops they're gonna back down and stop being so over the top and forceful. But let me know if you accomplish this. In the end i prefer a stealthier look anyways

Quick Reply: Remove the Wing=Less attention