Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remove the Wing=Less attention

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2008, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am so ******* sick of state cops in MA, that don't know the law, and i'm so so sick of having to go to court to convince a magistrate i didn't brake the law. I'm so sick of getting pulled over for no reason.

Luckily the one time i was speeding, the ******** cop lied so many times in his police report, the magistrate knew it wouldn't stick.

Tires squeeled (OK bud)
Launched it at a red light (launch into an immediate left turn?)
street raced a car that did not appear to participate

i mean c'mon. the guy was hopped up on steroids, and he ripped me a new one. if my girl friend wasn't in the car with me - he would have hauled me off to jail. i wish i could say one bad apple spoiled the bunch but more often then not - these cops are complete dicks... I wish there was some sort of recourse, for them acting so wrongly... but there is none, thats why they can treat you however they want, ticket you - and let the courts decide what to do with you.

/end rant

i feel pissed that i am essentially giving up the fight, but i don't know what else to do. the wing - is just not important enough for me to keep on. i have a life. I will always have a severe disdain for police. my townies are really nice, always helpful, but state cops can pretty much burn in hell, and god bless the very few nice ones.

Last edited by EvoBroMA; Jan 15, 2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine went right from the showroom floor to the body shop to get removed. To me it looked like a book shelf attached to my trunk. Best thing I did, everyone at the dealer and that I have come across since likes it with out...... Anyone want to buy a basicly brand new evo 9 siver wing?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

another wingless view with the carbon fiber Type C
Attached Thumbnails Remove the Wing=Less attention-evos-new-wing.jpg  
Old Jan 15, 2008, 04:37 PM
Evolving Member

Took off the big wing, bought a Ralliart wing for $75, had it painted for $175 and put it on. I don't have a pic on this computer, but you all know what they look like. I personally don't like the wingless look nor the big stock wing. The one I have makes the car look very proportional, imho.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:19 AM

I had the evo wing on for about a year and got pulled over a few times. I've had the ralliart wing on now for about 2 1/2 years (got in on ebay painted for about $100), got pulled over once and got off with a warning. You do the math.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Know what i can vouch for this as welll....true story, i have 5% tints all around i had wing on...got pulled over about 3 times total, one time i got tint ticket, other 2 were speeding tickets, now one of them the copped passed me completely, turned around after i passed him to give me a ticket, i know he had to see the wing and got excited in his pants......now..since than, i said f this, i takin this wing off....i took it off, its been about 4 months now, i was pulled over once for tints and exhaust....mind you i have a TP as well, and all i got was a warning, and a compliment ......wingless FTW, however i miss the wing, and plan on buying one just to have if i want to put it back on...i sold the last one i had ....so i recomend takin it off!!!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

I guess it depends on the area you're in and how much street racing goes on. (I don't think there's alot of it around here but I could be wrong.) I've kept the wing on my '03 and haven't had any problems, but I bet that if it came down to a judgment call by the police the wing would have a negative effect. I also don't have the windows tinted which may help me because I'm older and don't look the "boy racer" part. Still, I've thought about taking the wing off to blend in a bit more. Maybe I just don't realize all the attention I'm missing.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know a cop and he told me it doesn't make a difference. People add loud exhuast that can be heard a mile away and also the aggressive looks give it away from the front. he also said that almost every cop knows what an evo is because a lot of them are caught street racing
Old Jan 16, 2008, 04:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by godmiller10
i know a cop and he told me it doesn't make a difference. People add loud exhuast that can be heard a mile away and also the aggressive looks give it away from the front. he also said that almost every cop knows what an evo is because a lot of them are caught street racing
None of them do around here, they just think it's a riced out lancer.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 09:35 PM

This is going to sound weird, but the dirtier the car the less attention you will get. Even with the wing on still! Whenever my car is freshly cleaned and waxed--that's when everyone starts revving at me and police make u-turns to follow me, so I purposely don't wash it more than about once every 3 months now, lol.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sharkm87
Know what i can vouch for this as welll....true story, i have 5% tints all around i had wing on...got pulled over about 3 times total, one time i got tint ticket, other 2 were speeding tickets, now one of them the copped passed me completely, turned around after i passed him to give me a ticket, i know he had to see the wing and got excited in his pants......now..since than, i said f this, i takin this wing off....i took it off, its been about 4 months now, i was pulled over once for tints and exhaust....mind you i have a TP as well, and all i got was a warning, and a compliment ......wingless FTW, however i miss the wing, and plan on buying one just to have if i want to put it back on...i sold the last one i had ....so i recomend takin it off!!!
LOL! this post made me laugh so friggin hard! are you hawaiian or asian pacific islander?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 02:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkyz
No need to remove wing, The wing doesn't attract attention, your driving and the sound of the car does. Do not waste you money and time removing the wing unless you do not like wings. I am bright f'ing rally red with the stock 03 wing. I have never been pulled over in this thing, and I drive like a crazy man. I am always sideways. Shhh dont tell the wife. lol
I totally agree! Keep the WING! I am over 50. A point that you all miss_is A LOT of people knows what these cars look like, and it has a Wing! So it is very odd to see one without it!.
I had put on a Rexpeed wing, and then put back the OEM Wing. After my experiment; I find that:
You people that get tickets, Police and hater attentions are driving too aggressive. The others are too paranoid.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 02:44 AM
Evolving Member

damn the cops and damn the haters i could care less what people think of the evo or if the cops do target these cars, i bought the car for me and would never even think of modifying it to please someone else, damn that!!! keep the wing, thats what gives the car the exotic look, WING ON FTMFW!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 17, 2008, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

evoems, check the WW photo thread & look at the evos with blacked out wings

after not being able to find a clear (plexiglass) wing, thats what I ended up doing

painted it honda-black, might as well just look like a wanna be ricer, much less attention
Old Jan 17, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TRUE-GRIT
I totally agree! Keep the WING! I am over 50. A point that you all miss_is A LOT of people knows what these cars look like, and it has a Wing! So it is very odd to see one without it!.
I had put on a Rexpeed wing, and then put back the OEM Wing. After my experiment; I find that:
You people that get tickets, Police and hater attentions are driving too aggressive. The others are too paranoid.
i cant believe many people think this has logic behind it. Driving like a 'tard can CONTRIBUTE to being spotted, but havin a humungous 2 color (carbon/paint) wing on the top of your trunk WILL attract cops. Picture yourself...sitting on the side of the road in a police uniform, you see econo cars, luxury cars, trucks...then you see a mitsubishi with a humungo wing on the back that is basically obstruction of view...telling me that wouldn't catch your eye?

All in all...does wingless LOOK better? That's based on opinion
Does wingless help you not stand out to cops? Definetely

My 03 evo had a wing on it and kids and bystanders would stare and KNEW it was a racer.

With my 05 evo, i was wingless since day 1 lowered on RPF1s and i hardly got looks from any1. People thought i was driving a damn lancer. And i disagree on your comment that lots of people know what these cars look like. Guaranteed more than 50% of the time, people think youre driving a lancer with a big wing on the back with a bodykit on it

Last edited by RalliArtEvoVIII; Jan 17, 2008 at 08:58 AM.

Quick Reply: Remove the Wing=Less attention