Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remove the Wing=Less attention

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2008, 09:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by heavens turbo
LOL! this post made me laugh so friggin hard! are you hawaiian or asian pacific islander?
no and no

afro american biiiaaatchhhh!!!!.........also, whats so funny?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 09:36 AM

I would get pulled over about once every couple months for random crap:
- Entering left turn lane too early and crossing yellow line
- Accelerating too quickly from stop light (not going over speed limit)
- No turn signal use during lane change
- Not moving out of the way of an emergency vehicle (the cop behind me was speeding in the left lane on the highway without his lights on and pulled me over for not moving fast enough out of his way)

Since the wing was removed over a year ago I have never gotten pulled over and I haven't changed my driving style. Just adds to my reasons for having difficulty respecting the uniform.

And I got a new plain trunk so I can put on the original trunk with wing if I want.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by diviniti
I fully agree. If you are doing 100mph in a 45mph zone, whether or not you have a wing on is not a factor in if the cop will pull you over or if the laser/radar gun will clock you. If you drive like an idiot, you will get pulled over (period). I don't care if you have a 15' tall wing on the back... Drive safe and obey the laws, and there is absolutely no reason to get pulled over. If you do get pulled over and you are obeying the laws and your EVO has absolutely no illegal aftermarket items on it that can give the cop a reason to pull you over.... then I dunno, douche cop I guess.

I see all these people saying "when I had my wing on I got XXX amount of tickets!" like its the wings fault. Well I ask all of you people, WTF were you doing to receive the tickets? Sure a cop can come up with a b.s. reason to pull someone over, but I want to hear the b.s. remarks about "I was not doing anything wrong and got a speeding ticket!". Removing the wing doesn't improve your age status or maturity if you still drive ***** out like a zit faced 16 year old delivering pizza.

+1 I like the look of the wing, I havn't been pulled over once.

So what if it gets looked at, if you're not doing anything wrong what do you have to worry about ?
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

you definately aren't gettin the picture, its not about driving like a 16 year old with or without a wing....the FACT is that with the wing, it will draw more attention to you Period.....that is the abosolute fact.......obviously if you sit in the right lane and drive exactly the speed limit and use all your signals you wont get pulled over, thats a given, but noone drives like that but my grandmother, we are just saying with a wing we got pulled over, without a wing and the same driving habits, we did not get tickets.....you do the math
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

I've never felt cops looking at me. Evo looks stock with wing, debadged, rear windows tinted and Buschur TBE. I do not have the feeling to bring attention from cops.

Got pulled over 3 times in 2 years with the evo. I've got one ticket, 5mph over instead of 28 recorded with no point. Cops were always nice with me. I do not complain and I keep my wing.
So, I believe it depends were you live. I hardly see one evo every month in MI.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

My Evo came with a low profile wing when it was new. I have almost 100k miles, and I never felt bothered by cops, ricers, vandals, etc. I only get noticed by the real enthusiasts, who are usually very cool and complimentary.

No wing or a low wing definitely means less attention, but in a good way. Its less attention from those you don't want attention from.
Old Jan 17, 2008, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Took mine off and no looks. People think i have a lancer with cams.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 01:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 7oey
Took mine off and no looks. People think i have a lancer with cams.
ricer? Just kidding. Everyone has their preference, we still ALL drive a Evo.
I have never been pull over. But I did once on my Infiniti M class, but for tinted windows.
I just drive as fast as the next driver and obey the law. But don't you think I drive slow. My Advan's are bald at 13K.
I did replaced my spoiler once, just to see. But I was just a little paranoid. Divers here are used to seeing STi's, Evo's and exotic cars.
KEEP the wing on_if you wish. Good luck!
Old Jan 18, 2008, 02:36 AM
Account Disabled

from my experience- i removed my wing because i wanted to be different, it looked funny for about a week but then the look grew on me and now i love it wingless.. ill never put it back on..
Old Jan 18, 2008, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

I took mine off last week. I was sick and tired of seeing regular Lancers with Evo wings on them, especially this one at work. He drives a black (or dark grey) Lancer with OEM calipers painted blue, an Evo wing, a fart cannon exhaust, and clear tail lights. I got so tired of people asking me why my car costs so much more when it looks the same as his.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Face it, police work is boring. Nothing better to do than to look at awesome cars when your not busy. I would say some of the police attention isn't exactly negative. I, myself, am going into that profession. Most of the officers I know like looking at your lancer, because they like your lancer. I know some officers that would follow you into a parking lot to sit down and have a conversation about your car. In a good way and its good PR. Especally expensive ones. Sure, you get some negative, but you would be surprised on how many are looking at your car because they like it.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

That's like saying I should enjoy being raped because the other guy liked the way my *** looked.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 09:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheGVR4kid
That's like saying I should enjoy being raped because the other guy liked the way my *** looked.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Juan Martinez
Face it, police work is boring. Nothing better to do than to look at awesome cars when your not busy. I would say some of the police attention isn't exactly negative. I, myself, am going into that profession. Most of the officers I know like looking at your lancer, because they like your lancer. I know some officers that would follow you into a parking lot to sit down and have a conversation about your car. In a good way and its good PR. Especally expensive ones. Sure, you get some negative, but you would be surprised on how many are looking at your car because they like it.
I've been pulled over once before in 2003 when the car was new in the US and the cop came up to my door and said "I really just wanted to get a closer look at your car. I've heard these things are awesome." or something like that. He said that if anyone asks, that he pulled me over because my car matched the description of another they were looking for.

I've also had a motorcycle cop park behind my car and check it out. I noticed this one afternoon when I was going out to my car. Again, compliments.

This was all in the south, which supprised me. Up north (Illinois) I get pulled over for stupid crap and ticketed for the same. I actually got pulled over once for driving 65 MPH in a 65MPH zone and gave a ticket for doing 80MPH, even though a Camaro was passing me at the time the cop turned on his lights. Youc an read all about that here from another thread.

Last edited by 90GSX-03EVO; Jan 18, 2008 at 09:15 AM.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

when i took my off it looked kind a bold

Quick Reply: Remove the Wing=Less attention