Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Remove the Wing=Less attention

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:33 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remove the Wing=Less attention

Can I get some feedback from owners who have removed the rear wing, are you getting less negative attention, i.e., cops and rednecks in trucks etc... I am 49 drive to and from work in a suit, love the EVO, still a newbie, but the unwanted attention it gets from cops and jerks is unbelievable. If you have taken off the wing, have you noticed less attention? I think it kind of looks like another jap econo car without the wing. I do love the look of that big sucker out back though.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOEMS
Can I get some feedback from owners who have removed the rear wing, are you getting less negative attention, i.e., cops and rednecks in trucks etc... I am 49 drive to and from work in a suit, love the EVO, still a newbie, but the unwanted attention it gets from cops and jerks is unbelievable. If you have taken off the wing, have you noticed less attention? I think it kind of looks like another jap econo car without the wing. I do love the look of that big sucker out back though.
took it off my evo...best decision ever. I never got pulled, no one ever tried to harass me unless they really knew what evos were
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:54 PM
Evolving Member

Same here. I bought my car and rode around with the wing on for about a month and after getting eyed down by just about every cop i decided to take it off. Its nice having a fast car that doesnt get so much attention, although some people love it too
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

Hey.....45 and thinking the same thing......I am not sure if the EVO looks right without the wing.......I have seen the car both ways in person......with or without the wing....its still a beast looking car....the wide tires are a dead give away to the cops.....I was stopped in a parking lot making a call and a cop pulled in and checked me out....geez...gimme a break! I have heard that the wingless EVO's do attract much less attention.

Still winged - Sick Speed
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:59 PM
Evolving Member

I completely agree. Cops don't look twice.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 12:59 PM
EvoM Moderator

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Going wingless will definitely cut down on the eye-catchyness of the car for sure. When I was test driving my wingless black VIII a few years back, I was doing a big pull on the diamond lane...I slowed to about 70mph at the top of the ramp and looked over and realized I was cruising next to a sherrif! He looked over at me, then kept going on his way, no harm no foul.

Wingless is def the way to go for a more stealthy ride. Keeping the tail pipe a bit unpolished helps too, and skipping the 5" JDM-yo muffler tip helps too. I have a buschur 3" TBE with two of their bullet mufflers so the car is not too loud, but still makes awesome power. Quiet helps too
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I remove mine from time to time and it is ironic that I only get pulled over with it on. I usually get home from receiving the ticket and remove it immediately. It will typically be put back on within a few weeks. One great thing about taking it off is that it looks like a completely different car and ultimately makes me feel like I just got a new car.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

And for those that have removed the wing, what did you use to fill the holes, or did you fill the holes?
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmsrx
And for those that have removed the wing, what did you use to fill the holes, or did you fill the holes?
The best idea I have seen yet is getting a solid sheet label the same color as the car, found at any sign shop, and just cut out what you need. You can always remove it and replace the wing, depending on your mood.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the idea.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolving Member

What do you use to cover the mounting holes, I may want to remount when at the track for roadevents.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

most use color tape, or rubber stopers.

and the exhaust thing finally made since to me, when i get home i think im going to paint my muffler flat black so the SS doest stand out so much. GREAT IDEA!! just thought of it, i amaze myself every time.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOEMS
What do you use to cover the mounting holes, I may want to remount when at the track for roadevents.
not sure what kind of road events, but the wing does add a lot of downforce above 75mph or so...but if ur going less than that, like AutoX, take it off and save weight.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

I took the wing off the evo and love it.

I like the look of the evo better with the wing but I think the pros outweigh the cons.

People who know what the evo is still respect it and the people who don't know what the car exactly is just ignore it.
Old Jan 14, 2008, 01:19 PM
Evolving Member

I Removing Mine Today And Installing A Rexpeed Type-c Carbon Trunk Lip Soon.
I Personally Like Both Wing/wingless, But W/o The Wing Is Less Of The "ricer" Look

Quick Reply: Remove the Wing=Less attention