Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How short in length can the Evo8 go?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2008, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How short in length can the Evo8 go?

I have read that the Evo 8 is about 14.8ft bumper to bumper....
However, I am moving to California and we need to fit my Evo 8 and my boyfriends 240sx coupe (14.8ft bumper to bumper also, ironically) inside an enclosed trailer...

So my question is... if I remove both bumpers and beams as well as posisbly the intercooler, how short in length do you think I can get the Evo?

I want a 33 foot+ trailer, but they are extremely hard to come by unless I special order one for $15k+. So I see a lot of 28ft trailers and I was curious if I could get both cars inside a 28 footer...

Has anyone measured it before or is there a place for me to find this info?
(I would measure it myself but my car got rear-ended and the bodyshop has not started working on the car yet... so they are not going to let me come in there and disassemble my car and intercooler **** just so I can put it back together again...)

TIA
Old Jan 18, 2008, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Put the EVO in the front and leave the nissan's *** sticking out with a little red flag? haha
Old Jan 18, 2008, 08:16 PM
Evolving Member

hahahahaha.... lol
Old Jan 18, 2008, 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

if it got rear ended it is probably shorter now
you can put the cars on ramps to save some space. just make sure you strap down.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tabio42
if it got rear ended it is probably shorter now.
no just a little more loose
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

pm me where in nj your from i can help you out ! ive done it b4
Old Jan 18, 2008, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

I would assume that with the front and rear bumpers/covers removed you could gain the required space. Personally I would remove the bumpers & covers from both cars, that way there is a little room in the trailer between the cars. You could surely pick up the 16" needed, with all bumpers & covers removed.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 07:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats on getting out of Jersey!

As far as the cars go, good luck it's gonna be a tight fit.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 07:55 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Definitely remove the bumper covers regardless.. I just moved to Royse City, TX, and contracted a transport company to move three of my cars, two of them are older american cars, and one was my evo. The guy loading the truck trashed my rear bumper skin while loading it. He is having it fixed before its returned, but I know it'll never be quite right. The safest bet is to just remove the skins and pack them seperately. You will gain about 7-12" though.. DON'T remove the bumper bars though, as if anything happens, at least it'll be protected.
Old Jan 19, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

^+1!!!1 That's exactly what I was going to say. Remove the bumpers to gain some space, pack them well, and don't touch the bumper bars.

If you decide to go this way, you can also use some protection on the internals now that it's out in the open (that's up to you) and you can also remove the wing and put it inside the car (I think it fits?).
Old Jan 19, 2008, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

well its 12 inchs with the rear bumper off and the beam the front with intercooler proley about 12 inchs too

but you need to take the exhaust off too
Old Jan 21, 2008, 08:58 PM
Evolving Member

i think we have decided on a 28-ft trailer since there are no 32-ft around... at least not as a bumper pull (as opposed to gooseneck or 5th wheel)... we measured the 240sx without bumpers and we got 13-ft 2-in, so as long as I can get the Evo below 14 ft, which I think is possible, I should be good. we are going to have extra d-rings and e-track put inside to strap everything down real well.
Putting one of the cars on ramps is a good idea and worse case scenario, that'll be what we do.
Thanks everyone for your help, and I am going to head over to the body shop in a few days when they have it all disassembled so I can post the measurements of the Evo (with and without crash beams)... in case anyone else cares... lol
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JohnnyBoy427
Put the EVO in the front and leave the nissan's *** sticking out with a little red flag? haha

LMFAO!!!!!!!
Old Jan 22, 2008, 06:11 AM

Since you are buying a trailer, get a v-nose. It will give you more room to get around the cars and won't make the trailer longer.
MIllenium trailer made the 28 foot one my friend has
Old Jan 22, 2008, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

yea. trailers are a little hard to come by. to special order one it takes like 6-8 weeks and i need one the end of this week. used ones are always beat to hell and falling apart, so im picking up a brand new 28ft (biggest anyone has in stock) and i should make them fit. lol

Quick Reply: How short in length can the Evo8 go?