Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What happened to the Works 6MT Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't think you could order a 6spd shifter. I thought you had to take the car in and have the stock one modified. Could you give me a link to where you bought it? I could only find the 5spd shifter on there website.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I did was called Works. The guy there said theyre still making them and that only them or a works certified shop can install them. So then I call a shop he gave me the name of..Not sure if I should publically post it cuz I dunno if theyre supposed to let me do it myself.

He tells me its 250$ for the parts, this is a shop I trust, and I asked him to recheck with Works because I thought it was 200 INSTALLED. But he calls back, tells me 250$ parts 50$ install. And I said "how bout I just take it off your hands when it comes in?" and he said sure
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
take pics of it and PM me some info when it comes in
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Ya Ill def be taking pics throughout the install and writing up a review..As the few people who do have it have failed to do so.. Works made sure to tell me "very VERY few people have this" so its a pretty rare piece Im excited
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

I got a works 6 speed short shifter installed last week in Sonoma. And so far it has been very good. I really like the quicker fore to aft throw and I feel the transmission engagement better than with the stock truck length throw. They recommend getting the upgraded bushing when getting the short shifter to improve shifting. I have had to be more precise when shifting, but it is definitely quicker and honestly easier.

I got a couple of other things while I was there, stealth version of the TR303 and ss lines those have been great also. The car went from stock fast to stupid fast. George and the whole gang at Works did a great of of getting everything done on the car as I had to drive back to Los Angeles the next day. I felt confident about the trip even though I don't know if there is a good place for service between San Francisco and Los Angeles.

I have not posted pictures of the short shifter details because of time and respect for any of Works trade secrets. The external appearance of short shifter is of course stock, seems to be stock height as well. In fact one would be hard pressed to find any of the improvements that works installed for me except for the blue jacket on the SS lines.

Works Motorsports
Old Feb 13, 2008, 11:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 17 Likes on 5 Posts
underhood shifter bushings

the difference they made in shifter feel is INCREDIBLE

it's literally night and day...one of the best mods I've done to date

I have the set Buschur sells and I am very happy with them

AMS has a set too if you are partial to one or the other
Old Feb 14, 2008, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

What about the shifter base bushings? I know that a lot of SSK's come with them but does this kit? If not Ill probably order some to put in when I do my install..
Old Feb 14, 2008, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Glad to hear you were able to get one, EvoJedi77. Did WORKS explain why it mysteriously disappeared and then returned? Has it been redesigned, or do they need to sell 'em to help fund the SPEED World Challenge car they're running this year?
Old Feb 14, 2008, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EJEvo
Glad to hear you were able to get one, EvoJedi77. Did WORKS explain why it mysteriously disappeared and then returned? Has it been redesigned, or do they need to sell 'em to help fund the SPEED World Challenge car they're running this year?
No I didnt ask anything really like that..Just if the rumors that theyd had failures was true and he said nope. Just give works a call, theyre happy to explain themselves to anybody.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

I understood from somewhere that they were out of production during the time when they moved the shop.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoJedi77
No I didnt ask anything really like that..Just if the rumors that theyd had failures was true and he said nope. Just give works a call, theyre happy to explain themselves to anybody.
I know all about WORKS' phone support - Oliver and I became fast friends over the course of 3 months during an Ohlins suspension shipping nightmare I suffered with WORKS. I'm not a fan of short shifters - they usually overstress the tranny for the sake of shifting slightly faster. Good luck with the install.
Old Feb 16, 2008, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

I talked to the shop I ordered from today and turns out they wont get it for another 7-10 days

So I guess Ill be installing in about 2 weeks..Hope its worth the wait
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:47 PM
Evolving Member

Works ended up calling them up and saying that they had to install it for me. No big deal I suppose. heres a writeup

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...56#post5423056
Old Mar 18, 2008, 09:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoJedi77
Works ended up calling them up and saying that they had to install it for me. No big deal I suppose. heres a writeup

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...56#post5423056
sounds like people check the net more often then we think good luck and let us all no how it feels and works and if you get any problems