Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Debating Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2003, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Debating Purchase

Hi, Im new to the board. Unless I already registered and posted this here, eh....no matter. Anyways, Im considering the Evo as my next car. It has everything I want, however I was looking at a 350z which is just to impractical as my only car- and the Evo is incredible. I have a couple of questions to start:

1. Compared to the 350z, the look of the Evo is watered down, however hot it may be. Kinda ricey, but I can live with that. What do you guys think (biased opinion coming quickly)

2. Is it worth the price tag? It has a buttload of go-fast goodies, just curious if its worth it.

3. I want to modify it, and it seems that this is one of the best platforms around to do it. Potentially I can make, HOW much power on the stock internals? Reliability is an issue, after all this is my only vehicle. In the long run, I'd like to do a complete tear down, but Im just wondering if its worth the dough on whats otherwise (no offense, Im just probing for opinions) an "economy car"
Old Jul 24, 2003, 09:45 AM
N/A
Evolving Member

If you can get one at MSRP then go for it. If the dealership has any kind of mark up or adds on any extra crap then pass on it. Make it clear that your in no hurry to buy and have other options. The Evo would be more practical then the 350Z.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

if you want anythign but a biased opinon, this is not the right board to compare an evo to anything...

everyones gonna say get the evo :P

personaly,, AWD alone makes it better, and as an only car 4doors + decent trunk space is even better.. good gassmilage too (this is the main reason im getting it, sooo tired of getting 12 MPG on my truck...)

It sounds like im getting mine (with roof 'n spoiler) DELIVERED TO MY DOOR from the lower 48, for 31,995.29 (thats basicaly Out the door)

look around, its a grat car and you can get it for close to MSRP easy
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Well, Im actually getting it for 1K under MSRP. I told the dealership Im in no rush to do it, and I'd be down in a couple of weeks. I really dont have much money down, but Im more concerned about being happy with the purchase. I want something I can really work with over the next couple of years and not just look at as a "bad *** ricer". No replies on the engine capabilities? Anything can make power with money, but to have a reasonably affordable car to make buttload of power......ya know?
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:09 AM

it really is worth it if you're performance minded like most of us owners. the practicality is great. one reason i bought is that there are infinite ways to customize it...w/performance parts that is. this engine has been around for a while and i've not heard anything bad about it so i know it's reliable. i just wouldn't try to put nos in it as a 1st mod w/o any extra support. it's a great car, u'll really enjoy it.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

im only putting 3k down on it.. (if i can scrape that together... lol)

Ya this car can hit 350 HP with ease and not too much cash.. if you realy want to spend im sure you can push it up way above that too. but 350 is a lot of HP in this size of a car

dig through the posts here, there's a couple of guy swith monster cars
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

I see all of that.....and it has plenty of room for a guy my size (im 6'7") and it has a surprising am't. of room. I figure Im gonna put 3K up front, finance 29K over 6 years. Even so, thats still a lot of dough for a long time.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

yea man it is....try to put more down or if you have a good trade-in/car to sell that will make it much nicer (that what I'm gonna do!!)
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by feldguy
Well, Im actually getting it for 1K under MSRP. I told the dealership Im in no rush to do it, and I'd be down in a couple of weeks. I really dont have much money down, but Im more concerned about being happy with the purchase. I want something I can really work with over the next couple of years and not just look at as a "bad *** ricer". No replies on the engine capabilities? Anything can make power with money, but to have a reasonably affordable car to make buttload of power......ya know?
$1K under MSRP is good... (I wish maybe I'd waited.. I paid just under $30K for mine) As far as not wanting to be a bad *** ricer.... Well, I cannot think of a worst car to have than the EVO.. I love mine but it practically screams badazz ricer mobile
Man, just check out the wing, and how about them Altezzas
Anyway, yesterday I got clocked by laser from among a bunch of cars and I just got passed by a blue WRX!
I guarantee you that the cops will be looking at you as closely as all the young dudes everywhere

No, if you want to be the anti-rice, get something else... The EVO kicks major butt, but it definitely will not be confused for a German car
Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:59 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Re: Debating Purchase

Originally posted by feldguy
1. Compared to the 350z, the look of the Evo is watered down, however hot it may be. Kinda ricey, but I can live with that. What do you guys think (biased opinion coming quickly)

2. Is it worth the price tag? It has a buttload of go-fast goodies, just curious if its worth it.

3. I want to modify it, and it seems that this is one of the best platforms around to do it. Potentially I can make, HOW much power on the stock internals? Reliability is an issue, after all this is my only vehicle. In the long run, I'd like to do a complete tear down, but Im just wondering if its worth the dough on whats otherwise (no offense, Im just probing for opinions) an "economy car"
1) Make sure you look at the car, in person. Pictures, really do not do this car justice. The 350z looks more like a classy luxury car, while the Evo looks more like a razor sharp performance car, with all the buldging fenders, and the lines throughout the car. Personally, the Evo stands out a LOT more.

2) Absolutely it's worth it. I have a bet going... find me a new production car off the showroom floor that can beat an Evo around a race track for under $30,000. It just doesn't happen. If you were to base the price of the Evo in the performance you get, I'd say it should be worth about $50,000. Hell, the FQ300 Evo in Europe beat a Lamborgini Murceliago (sp?) around a track! Says something when a $30,000 car can beat a $175,000 car.

3) There are already people pushing 450whp (about 575 bhp) w/ the stock internals. There are lots more people who are doing about 375whp w/ the stock turbo! Can't get much better than that. It's the platform that has been the modifiers dream platform for years and years now. Tried, tested, and proven.

Overall, if you want a sportscar that is practical year round, this is almost impossible to beat for the money.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 12:01 PM

THE 350Z LOOKS BETTER IN MY OPINION, BUT THE EVO IS MORE PRACTICAL. THE PERFORMANCE IS NO COMPARSION...AWD + TURBO = HELLA FUN!! GO WITH THE EVO
Old Jul 24, 2003, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Im pretty much sold......I need a good support group!! Its a wild, great car, and I just want something that shows Im a little older than I am....wait...wait, I want to go fuggin fast! Ha ha.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 02:20 PM
Evolved Member

1360 miles ago I got my new evo....Befor break in period The car was just amazing but once you hit that break in time and open the car up for the first time, you wont help but to smile from ear to ear....

I love every min of the car.

as far as perfomance... There are kits around "staged 0, 1 etc" for around $1000.to $1500.. Putting great horse power down... The car is an absolute blast. Beat that with another car around the price tag.........Below or up that price tag... The way you can get hp out of the car with just a few bolt on is just mind boggleing..

EVO VIII's just rock.....

-B
Old Jul 24, 2003, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

WEll, since you put it that way, I never thought about dollar for dollar how fast it actually is....ya know.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: Debating Purchase

Originally posted by Fireball

3) There are already people pushing 450whp (about 575 bhp) w/ the stock internals. There are lots more people who are doing about 375whp w/ the stock turbo! Can't get much better than that. It's the platform that has been the modifiers dream platform for years and years now. Tried, tested, and proven.
So that explains why so many people are having driveline problems.

Quick Reply: Debating Purchase