Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buying a modded evo or a stock evo?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a modded evo or a stock evo?

Would you guys rather buy a stock evo or a modded evo, if the price was the same? and mileage. Modded being, upgraded turbo, intake, exhaust, reflash, suspension, struts.

Curious to know what people think about this.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 02:32 PM
Former Sponsor

i prefer a stock turbo, so i would stay away from any car with a turbo upgrade. If you do go to buy one i would do a compression and leak down test, you can never be to sure when you are making a purchase this size.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

I would get a stock one for sure.

I know that you cant assume, but chances are that a modded evo will have been driven harder than a stock evo.

I choose stock because i would much rather build my own car.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by NurSpecSupport
I would get a stock one for sure.

I know that you cant assume, but chances are that a modded evo will have been driven harder than a stock evo.

I choose stock because i would much rather build my own car.
I agree... but its not so much the car is "driven" harder, with the performance modifications the engine and drivetrain are put under alot more stress from the added power. I dont see a problem with simple bolt ons when buying a used car but i would stay away from bigger turbos, meth, cams etc. ( even though i have them all done to mine )
Old Jan 23, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

I also prefer to mod my own car the way I want.If you can find a good deal on a car built the way you would do it yourself anyway then its a no brainer. Just make sure that the mods it has are mods that you want (don't settle) & be sure to check it over very well before the purchase. It could be a well maintained nicely modded car, or it could be an abused slapped together car that is giving the owner too many problems.

Last edited by shunderwunder; Jan 23, 2008 at 02:43 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Stock. I bought my Evo with mods because I got it for dirt cheap from the dealership I work at that a guy traded in. I was lucky enough that it didn't have any issues. Most modded evo's (or any car for that matter) are traded in or sold because of that exact reason. I swapped out the parts he put on with parts I bought myself and got it tuned...trust me. Not being able to say it's 'your' car as far as upgrades go is depressing. Thats why I promptly swapped them all out haha.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

stock evo for sure.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 02:50 PM

I honestly perfer stock as well, just like everyone says, to DIY and to get the saying right to say I DID IT! haha, but the thing is that the car i'm looking at is exactly how I would have done it, maybe not the same brands, but yeah...
Old Jan 23, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
if i had to do it again, probably modded, but i would hold out for the one that could prove receipts, etc of being installed by a reputable shop and not too many miles on the added parts.

if i couldnt find what i wanted though, i would choose stock just because you can do what you want to it.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

I bought mine stock & refused to buy a modded one.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

I bought mine new- If I were looking for another one down the road I would personally try to find a good deal on a used but well maintained stock car (or just mildy modded with bolt ons if I like the ones that were chosen)... no meth/bigger turbo/high boost levels)... something with more miles so I could get a better deal... because I would do a 2.3L setup anyway Its hard to know how a car has been treated if its used and you find it on a dealer lot
Old Jan 23, 2008, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Build your own you will get alot more satisfaction out of it. Modded cars you cant tell what REALLY has gone on in their life. Also if you buy one that "has not been modded" then look over it with an fine tooth comb and microscope just to make sure that it SOLID
Old Jan 23, 2008, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

I think there are a lot of variables in determining if you should buy a used stock or modded Evo.

1. What brand of aftermarket parts are on it?
2. Compression and boost leak tests results?
3. How does the clutch feel?
4. You've already said the miles and price are the same so that is irrelevent.

I could go on, but you get the point.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Remember that a ton of used "stock" evo's were simply slapped back to stock. Just like mine was. "Stock" from the dealer, but infact had 272's...lol. When I sold my Evo I told the new owner about every single mod and service record. That's the way I would buy another used evo....from an honest owner with proof to back it up.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 04:16 PM

stock for sure

Quick Reply: Buying a modded evo or a stock evo?