Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Arc Cooling Fin

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2008, 10:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 209 Likes on 189 Posts
Originally Posted by Jameson_IXMR
Looks to me like a cheap product with a big name. The idea is heat transfers to the arc heatsink and is dissipated by the open air. Well heat transfer in this sense is based on surface area. It looks aluminum, and the mesh is such a small size I would imagine any effectiveness would be insugnificant. If the fins were a solid material, or even thicker walled hallow core, it would work much more efficient. I would even suggest using copper as a better alternative, but copper is a less tensile and durable metal. If I were to do this, I would get a decent gauge aluminum mesh, and build 2-3 offset layers and physically wrap the lower IC piping with a heat transfer coating. Also a strong heat shield should be in place, as heat-sinking works both ways. It could help the item absorb heat from the turbine area ect. I wouldnt count on this for transmission cooling though. Looks like they had a simple idea that works slightly in theory, and needed some ideas where to use it. (hence the transmission ect.). ARC is sort of dissapointing lately....

Also our transmissions have cooling fins galore already. Install of this type product over such finned areas would decrease airflow to the more efficient solid fins of the transaxle and increase heat within the unit as the incoming air is blocked by the "magic" cooling fins.
+1 to this, any type of heatsink is designed to suck heat away from a device and dissipate it just as quickly into the atmosphere. However, certain parameters must be met in order for it to succeed. For example anyone who has seen a decent speed microprocessor has seen a heatsink, and knows it has to suck the heat away in such a position that it'll "rise" from the surface, and that heatsink must cover that surface in order to cool decently. So it won't work if you stick it on "a section" or "a part" of something like the bottom of an oil pan or the bottom half of or the first 12 inches of cooler pipes. ESPECIALLY if that area isn't getting ANY airflow. However if it is....the most you'll see is maybe 5 deg. What you should be worried about is if there's a device next to that heat source that could get damaged by it, then you should insulate that device from the heat, not draw heat towards it.