Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Arc Cooling Fin

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2008, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arc Cooling Fin

any one ever heard of it, used it? if so does it work or just stupid....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ARC-C...ayphotohosting
Old Jan 27, 2008, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

it probably works i have seen it installed in transmissions
Old Jan 27, 2008, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

interesting
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
very interesting...wouldn't hurt
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think everyone would be knocking this product if it didn't have the legendary ARC logo on it.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

idk if any one has tried it on the oil pan and seen oil temp drop, then let us know PLEASE
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never seen that before.Who knows it may just do what it claims to do.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

it looks like a gimik. you would need to apply a heat transfer compound for it to work.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
thermal conducting paste is easy to come by. I'm sure it helps a little bit as you're essentially increasing the surface area for heat transfer. But not even close to being as effective as using a bigger oil cooler, tranny cooler, etc.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

There are some self adhesive thermal sheets available now and I would guess that is what the 3M sheet shown on site is. They seem to work OK for electronic cooling applications, but I cannot see how well in would work in this application or survive the oil, solvents and physical abuse under a car. I would be happy to know if I am wrong, but I would not buy it.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

update
Old Jan 28, 2008, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Looks to me like a cheap product with a big name. The idea is heat transfers to the arc heatsink and is dissipated by the open air. Well heat transfer in this sense is based on surface area. It looks aluminum, and the mesh is such a small size I would imagine any effectiveness would be insugnificant. If the fins were a solid material, or even thicker walled hallow core, it would work much more efficient. I would even suggest using copper as a better alternative, but copper is a less tensile and durable metal. If I were to do this, I would get a decent gauge aluminum mesh, and build 2-3 offset layers and physically wrap the lower IC piping with a heat transfer coating. Also a strong heat shield should be in place, as heat-sinking works both ways. It could help the item absorb heat from the turbine area ect. I wouldnt count on this for transmission cooling though. Looks like they had a simple idea that works slightly in theory, and needed some ideas where to use it. (hence the transmission ect.). ARC is sort of dissapointing lately....

Also our transmissions have cooling fins galore already. Install of this type product over such finned areas would decrease airflow to the more efficient solid fins of the transaxle and increase heat within the unit as the incoming air is blocked by the "magic" cooling fins.

Last edited by Jameson_IXMR; Jan 28, 2008 at 06:05 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:00 AM
Evolved Member

a vendor on evom was selling this. i was gonna jump on it then woke up and realized this may be a waste of money. until i see some test (even if informal and not elaborate) would convince me to try myself. unfortunately i dont have oil temp or tranny oil temp gauge but i highly doubt you will see 10-20C drop in temp(as Arc claims) hehe.

yeah i cannot say simply because its Arc i will bend over backwards for it. even arc's cooling shield helps keep more airflow to radiator/IC but its more show then temp reduction. even the Arc ti uicp is a huge waste of money for the couple lbs you loose (compared to other 3rd party uicp).

plus the need for an adhesive layer would severely reduce its effectiveness. for heatsinks on computers, they are metal to metal for max efficiency. thermal paste is simply there to fill in the micro-valleys and imperfections you cant see with your eyes. best contact is always metal to metal only. IF this arc fin can work, it needs to be kept in direct contact w/ an oil pan or transmission housing not via sticker but a frame of a sort to keep it there tight or simply melting the arc fin straight onto it haha

Last edited by mifesto; Jan 28, 2008 at 07:21 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

ttt
Old Apr 6, 2008, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm going to see if I can mount one or two on my 6 speed and transfer case... Seems logical to me.. all it needs is some Artic Silver 5 paste now!!!!

Quick Reply: Arc Cooling Fin