Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Broken Window today....Q?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2008, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Broken Window today....Q?

So I was trailoring my brand new IX from my old house to my new house (it's undergoing surgery and runs rich so I dont drive it yet), and this giant Monstertruck (an f250 with no lie 50" nobby tires) pulls in front of me and I saw a rock kick up (in slow motion) it flew over my armada and I hear a loud pop. I thought it hit my roof. I checked at the gas station, and apparently it hit my IX's windshield!! Left a crater about an inch in diameter. Not really that noticable but I'm still pissed. In the state of FL insurance covers windshield replacement free and its comprehensive so my rates wont go up, (at least to my understanding).

Anyway, I see the weatherstrip runs the length of the car, and I hear that typically when it is removed it needs to be replaced. Im sure the insurance company will want to hire some mom&pop place to change it. Do you think they will fit the bill to replace it with an OEM mitsu windshield and change the stripping? I want it to look like the new car it is.....

Thanks, anyone else have their windshield changed? Please chime in.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just make sure they put in a EVO windshield and not a lancer windshield they are heavier than the EVO windshield.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

I spoke to the adjuster on the phone, I said that its slightly different than a regular windshield and its something the dealership will likely have to perform. They said that might be possible, and she was unsure if my rates would increase. If My rates go up I might as well get it fixed myself. Insurance on the Evo, a new armada and a few year old bmw is hell enough. Thanks for the evo/lancer windshield difference, Ill be sure to note that, I thought they were the same too.

Wonder if they will fit the bill to re-tint it also.

Last edited by Jameson_IXMR; Jan 27, 2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 08:36 PM

Wow I never new there was a difference between the two.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 09:05 PM
Evolved Member

Did you get the guy's license plate? By law, you are responsible for anything that you pick up and throw / drop / or lose from your vehicle. I had something similar to this happen to me once and I got the guy's license plate number. I called the local polica station and they were not helpful at all to me. Then I called my insurance company and told them the story and gave the guy's plate number to them. They replaced my windshield and repainted my hood / front bumper with me paying out NO deductible and they said they would take care of it with this guy and handle getting his insurance to pay for it. Said it happens all the time.

This was in Mississippi.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 09:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Only responsible if the driver deviates from the driving lane.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jeff_Jeske
Only responsible if the driver deviates from the driving lane.
So if a truck is driving down the road and his tailgate falls off and hits your car, the driver of the truck is not responsible?

What about that semi that loses a retread right beside you as you are overtaking him and the tire hits your car. Is he not responsible for that?

There IS a responsibility in it. Why else do you think every semi truck and motor home has to have mud flaps? Why do you think there are laws in some states that prevent tires from extending out past the wheel well of the fenders?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

As a matter of fact I did get his plate number. However were not talking about re-tread falling off. It was a rock, it could have been a 67 beetle in front of me and the same thing may have happened. Thanks for the heads up, I will hand that number over to my insurance just in case. Florida is "No-fault" remember, so I dont know if they will charge his insurance for the damages?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Just to clarify and help get you in the mood for when you talk to your insurance company...

You mentioned that the truck had big knobby tires (capable of picking up large rocks) and you were able to see the rock float through the air. That makes it sound to me like the rock was rather large (probably a bit smaller than a golf ball) and would not have been picked up by "normal" tires like those you would find on a 67 Beetle. Also, since it left such a large crater in your windshield, I'd say that it was a large rock. I've had rocks get kicked up and hit my windshield before while I was driving on the Interstate. At 60-70 MPH, they aren't that bad unless they are LARGE.

Good luck with getting it repaired. At a minimum, isn't it required for insurance to replace cracked windshields at no cost to you due to the safety hazard that they pose? I know my insurance company does this, regardless of how it gets cracked.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

They should have to replace it at no cost. I have always heard that since I started driving 15 years ago or so. They said they would call back and get a claim started at the opening of business monday, (I do have a really great ins. provider "USAA"). She said she doesnt know if it will effect my current rate, I hope not. If it rises 25 dollars a month It would be cheaper for me to outright fix it myself most likely.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:42 PM
Evolving Member

i replaced mine not to long ago. was around $350,

ull need a whole new strip around the window, and the weather strip that runs down the length of the cars is just poped up when installing then put back in place as if nothing ever changed.

job took about 20-30 mins wasnt sure me and the window guy were talkin during it. seems fairly easy and any mom-pop window place can do it for u.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
When you order the Evo windshield there's a piece of molding you want to get or so the Mitsu parts guy told me. When I had my windshield installed (the installer came to my garage) he was happy to find this in the box.

An SUV got me too.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO
At a minimum, isn't it required for insurance to replace cracked windshields at no cost to you due to the safety hazard that they pose? I know my insurance company does this, regardless of how it gets cracked.
not necessarily. for example, in AZ u have to ask for "glass coverage" on your policy or u have NONE!!!!! then any damage is out of pocket to you. if you have the glass coverage, then there is no cost involved usually but your rate could be an average of 10% higher to soak up the cost or possible repairs. 90% of my delivery drivers in AZ have cracked windshields bcuz they are replacing them 3-4 times a year & they use their personal cars so they don't have glass coverage mostly bcuz they are cheap azzes...
Old Jan 28, 2008, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spaceball 1
Just make sure they put in a EVO windshield and not a lancer windshield they are heavier than the EVO windshield.
WOW the stupidest comment I've seen today. Go buy a EVo winsheild and they are like 530 bucks buy a lancer and its like 279. The only difference is that dotted stuff by the rear view mirror.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 07:02 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Joshs EVO
WOW the stupidest comment I've seen today. Go buy a EVo winsheild and they are like 530 bucks buy a lancer and its like 279. The only difference is that dotted stuff by the rear view mirror.

There IS a difference besides the dotted stuff by the rear view mirror. The Lancer windshield is thicker (this is why the Evo windshield costs more, because it's lighter).

Regardless, they both fit, and most track ****** replace their cracked windshields with a Lancer windshield because the weight difference is negligible and the thicker Lancer windshield will be a bit more resistant to cracking in the future (so it's thought).