Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

3rd brake light out after tint

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd brake light out after tint

I just realized that my third brake light isn't working. It's been about 3 weeks since I got my windows tinted so I assume the guy didn't re-install it correctly after the rear window was done.

In the trunk below the light I've checked the connections and tightened the three main bolts, but it's still out. Nothing looks missing or unconnected, but I'm no expert.

Any ideas?
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Check the voltage with a volt meter in the fixture. It is possible for the bulb to have broken if it was bumped too hard during the tint install. Should not be hard to fix, the tint installer should be willing to help out if you are nice when you ask.
Old Jan 27, 2008, 10:49 PM

this is weird ive just discovered im having the same problem, got the windows tinted about a week ago and now my top brake light isnt working also. checked my connections checked my fuses, havent hit it with a test light yet, or a volt meter. pulled it off again and checked the bulb which is also fine. pretty weird to be a coincidence that after tint 2 different cars top brake lights are out... any suggestions other then what was said already?
Old Jan 28, 2008, 01:34 PM
Evolving Member

first and last bump
Old Jan 28, 2008, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

Theres really nothing else to say. Waynea covered it all. It wouldn't be some mysterious electrical gremlin that decided to come out right when you got your window tinted. So either it didn't work before the window got tinted, and you just didn't know, or it was caused by the person installing the tint.
As already said, check the connections/voltage. If its got power, check the bulb.. If the bulb looks fine, it could still be blown. Replace the bulb.. - If it has no power, check the wire/connections further down the line, check the fuse. Thats really all it can be. Not rocket science here.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 02:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by diviniti
Theres really nothing else to say. Waynea covered it all. It wouldn't be some mysterious electrical gremlin that decided to come out right when you got your window tinted. So either it didn't work before the window got tinted, and you just didn't know, or it was caused by the person installing the tint.
As already said, check the connections/voltage. If its got power, check the bulb.. If the bulb looks fine, it could still be blown. Replace the bulb.. - If it has no power, check the wire/connections further down the line, check the fuse. Thats really all it can be. Not rocket science here.
Sounds good, thanks.

Last edited by modetm; Jan 28, 2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

wait how do u even know the bulbs are "fine"? u should hook them up to battery and wire to make sure if u dont wanna simply replace um.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 03:58 PM

I am a heavy equipment mechanic for the City Of Denver so your "its not rocket science" doesnt apply here . the light worked before the tint because it would reflect into the car when the brakes were applied it stopped working after it was tinted. so your idea of "rocket science" is nothing to me the bulb is fine and its getting voltage so leave your smart *** comments out of here if you have nothing to say that is helpful . he posted the thread i thought it was weird 2 cars are having the same problem so i posted in the thread.

"Theres really nothing else to say. Waynea covered it all. It wouldn't be some mysterious electrical gremlin that decided to come out right when you got your window tinted. So either it didn't work before the window got tinted, and you just didn't know, or it was caused by the person installing the tint.
As already said, check the connections/voltage. If its got power, check the bulb.. If the bulb looks fine, it could still be blown. Replace the bulb.. - If it has no power, check the wire/connections further down the line, check the fuse. Thats really all it can be. Not rocket science here. "
Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:02 PM

I agree.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolving Member

Bulbs may appear to be fine but they can become bad. Change the bulb and see what happens, its worth the $2.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:07 PM
Evolving Member

My 3rd brake light stopped working after i got my windows tinted too. It ended up just being the bulb. So i would check that first.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 04:44 PM

how does getting your window tinted affect the brake light? unless they knocked the bulb out or soemthing, but otherwise i dont see the connection. does the larger amount of light reflected back into the casing put a larger load on the bulb?
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:09 PM
Evolving Member

i think they have to pull out the brake light cover and in turn usually hit the bulb. Because the guy that did my car claimed he only touched the plastic piece on the inside of the car and not the actual bulb.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:44 PM

ah ok, if it has to do with the install it makes more sense.
Old Jan 28, 2008, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

just change the bulb...most likely what it is..spend the $2

Quick Reply: 3rd brake light out after tint