Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Tranny Problems on Cold Days

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2008, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TheGVR4kid
Once you start the car up, just put in the clutch and row through the gears while stationary a few times. Up and down the pattern.
+1, I do the same thing...
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 90GSX-03EVO
When you start your car in the cold and let it warm up before you drive, you're only warming up the engine (as far as the drivetrain is concerned). That's why it still seems like the transmission is a bit notchy. Once you've moved the car around a bit and friction has started to warm up things inside the transmission, it starts to feel like normal. That's why you don't notice it get better until after you had driven it a bit.
..tahts not entirely true ....technically the clutch is still engaged so your spinning the input shaft.....guess that rotates some tranny fluid around in there at one thousand rpms...
Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sharkm87
..tahts not entirely true ....technically the clutch is still engaged so your spinning the input shaft.....guess that rotates some tranny fluid around in there at one thousand rpms...
Well, come on. Like there's any true heat generated by doing that.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:21 AM
Evolving Member

i think its like that with all cars my hondas were the same way my integra dident even wanna go back into first untill after it warmed up

Last edited by mrboostt05; Jan 30, 2008 at 09:21 AM. Reason: cant spell
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Welcome to the club...lol I was paranoid at first also. Just have to remember
that the evo uses heavier gear lube in the tranny not a light ATF like alot of
cars.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea dont let it warm up for 10 minutes just sitting there. Warm it up for a couple min then go drive it slowly. I usually warm it up for 2 min if it's not freezing or up to 5min if its frozen. Then for the first 10 minutes of driving I keep it below 3k rpm. Its probably a function of the fluid. I have Amsoil in my 240 and it behaves the same way as the Evo when cold.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:40 AM
Account Disabled

you could try searching
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:41 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by boostedwrx
Yea dont let it warm up for 10 minutes just sitting there. Warm it up for a couple min then go drive it slowly. I usually warm it up for 2 min if it's not freezing or up to 5min if its frozen. Then for the first 10 minutes of driving I keep it below 3k rpm. Its probably a function of the fluid. I have Amsoil in my 240 and it behaves the same way as the Evo when cold.
your Evo should be allowed to warm up until the temp needle begins to move

then drive
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:49 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wlcome to the mitsu beefy tranny,, they are very notchy,, something that i did and helped was i ran the stock fluid for about 4k and changed it for fresh OEM oil and the tranny got alot smother,,,,,,,,, i am wierd like this but my theory goes like this,,,,,, you buy a new tranny and you break it in for a couple thousand miles little metal particles start floating in the oil from the brand new gears that are wearing down,,,, they after 4k you swapped the oil and you get fresh oil in there ,,,,, for me it helped i noticed a smother shift in the mornings although my 2nd is always tuff to get into
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Well, come on. Like there's any true heat generated by doing that.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CRX2EVO
your Evo should be allowed to warm up until the temp needle begins to move

then drive
That may be what the manual says, but the quicker the car warms up the better. Your not burning off any of the condensation or other toxins on your gas or oil while you just sit there.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:40 PM
Evolved Member

That may be what the manual says, but the quicker the car warms up the better. Your not burning off any of the condensation or other toxins on your gas or oil while you just sit there.
Are you suggesting that you should drive the car hard as soon as you start it, then?

Old Jan 30, 2008, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xexitenglishx
Happens to me too. I thought it was an issue, brought it to mitsu and they said its normal..(like i expected them to say it wasnt and actually warranty it? yea right haha)
Even if they did warranty it, it would still do exactly the same. As for me i bought my car last winter and it was doing it real bad with 5,000 miles on it. In the cold i mean.

Last edited by YzBrad99; Jan 30, 2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2008, 09:33 PM
Evolved Member

Are you suggesting that you should drive the car hard as soon as you start it, then?

I dont know why I'm wasting my time in this thread and I don't think you even read my post above (#21 where i say)
I usually warm it up for 2 min if it's not freezing or up to 5min if its frozen.
So meaning the car is sitting, stationary, not moving, for that long. Then I move it... ..
Old Jan 31, 2008, 05:44 AM
Evolved Member

I like to let mine warm up a bit more than that. I don't like the idea of things trying to turn on or move in low temperatures. I at least want the engine bay to be at a normal temperature (regardless of the outside temperature) before I try to put anything else in motion (ABS pump, power steering, etc.). I'm probably being a bit paranoid, but I'd rather the car last for a while. Plus, I'm never in that big of a hurry. I always leave a large section of time for travel when I need to go somewhere.