Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Let's all compare the stage kits one by one...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's all compare the stage kits one by one...

Here is the Vishnu Stage 0

"Stage Zero consists of our proprietary XEDE engine control computer and our cat-back exhaust system. Constructed of 3-inch stainless steel piping and joined by a race quality V-Band clamp (for leak-free performance and swivel adjustability), our exhaust system delivers a deep, mellow note with an absence of highway 'drone'."

About 40 HP Gain for $1595
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Here's Ultimate Racing...

"Ultimate Racing Lancer Evolution VIII Stage 1 Plus Upgrade
- Ultimate Racing 3" Stainless Steel Turbo-Back Exhaust System
- Ultimate Racing Pre-Programmed HKS Super AFR
- Ultimate Racing Pre-Set Turbo Smart Manual Boost Controller
- K&N High-Flow Panel Filter"

...don't know the exact HP gain...but 1/4 mile time is 12.57s@107.11 mph...

Price: $1349.00

anybody know the EXACT power gain?
Old Jul 25, 2003, 10:43 AM
Evolving Member

Can someone post AMS and Buschur kits with horse gain/times/price/components?

Thanks!!!
Old Jul 25, 2003, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by David
We finally made it back out to the track with the car. We had the track rented this last Monday for testing of our shop cars and a few customer cars. We had a blast, having the track all to yourself is the way to go.

First, this is what we had on the car:

BR full 3" exhaust system (weighs in at a mere 24 pounds compared to 60 pounds stock)
BR airfilter
BR MAS pipe
BR upper i/c pipe
BR valve cover breather
BR manual boost controller (19-20 psi)
Super AFC with BR air fuel settings (supplied with our AFC)
Autometer boost gauge
BR boost gauge mount
BR lightweight battery kit (17 pounds compared to 37 stock)
Very low tank of straight 94 octane Sunoco fuel

The car dyno'd 343.9 hp and 294 ft lbs of torque like this.

Tym made the first pass in the car and ran:
1.85 sixty foot
8.02 1/8th mile at 86.99 mph
12.48 1/4 mile at 110.99
Tym made a bunch more 12.5 passes and ran a best of
1.74 sixty foot
7.98 1/8th mile at 86.96 mph
12.47 1/4 mile at 110.29 mph

Then Kevin took a turn in the car:
1.76 sixty foot
7.96 1/8th mile at 87.14
12.42 1/4 mile at 111.20 mph

Then the old guy, David Buschur took one pass:
1.77 sixty foot
8.00 1/8th mile at 86.92 mph
12.48 1/4 mile at 110.74 mph

Three different drivers, NO COOL down on the car and we all ran 12.4's back-to-back.

Now what is important here is I am not throwing a bunch of BS at you guys. I have listed each and every single modification performed to this car. In my opinion there are some other guys out there laying down dyno and 1/4 mile times that are holding back some very important information. When comparing products, dyno sheets and 1/4 mile times from different companies I think, as a customer, you need to have ALL the information to make a wise choice. Forgetting to mention things like you added race gas to the mix, how you managed to run a ton a boost without fuel cut, port work, transmission modifications or messing with the turbo is just not exceptable. All of the information needs to be laid on the table and YOU need to be able to duplicate the performance we have advertised.

Cranking up the boost on straight race gas, adding different ECU's and such other mods to help us run some great numbers to advertise is only going to work until nobody else can duplicate what we are advertising, then word is going to get out and it is over. That isn't what we are about. That isn't what has not only kept us in business for 14 years but has let us continue to grow each year. Honesty and a good product is what has kept us around and that is what we are going to continue to supply you with.

Just to clear this up even more, these parts are still BONE stock and have never been touched on the car:

Front mount intercooler
Exhaust manifold
Turbine housing
Turbo
02 housing
Fuel pressure regulator
Fuel rail
Fuel pump
Cylinder head
Camshafts
Factory computer
transmission

I hope you are as impressed as we are with the potential and current performance of this car. To run the numbers it has run and make the HP is just unreal. Who knows where it will end up. For now we just want to improve on as many parts as we can without making it an overly expensive project. In the future it will develop just like the DSM performance has. Who knows, maybe my next Pro car will be a tube chassis EVO running 6's at over 200 mph.

Take care and enjoy your EVO,

David Buschur
President
Buschur Racing, Inc.

Hi all,

Seems I did forget one part, not sure how I forgot it, it is in other posts I have made.

We do have the Exedy twin disc clutch in the EVO. This is a really high end clutch that will hold 650 ft lbs of torque. With the labor required to do the clutch in one of these cars I highly recommend spending the extra money on a good unit such as this one.

The car could run these times on the stock clutch I think, actually I am sure it would since it has been done.

We changed in hope of getting the clutch to release better and make the shifting better. This was accomplished for sure, the car shifts much better with this set up in it.

Take care all,
David Buschur

The entire kit from what I just added up quickly should come to $2060.

This is the exhaust, filter/MAS pipe, upper i/c pipe & BOV, boost controller, boost gauge and mount, AFC and battery kit.

David
I hope that works. It's taken from the BR forum.

Josh
Old Jul 25, 2003, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Thats all good info but I think what really matters is the amount of hp GAINED OVER STOCK and even then its still not the most accurate way of determining if the kit is for you or not. Although I personally don't care for the 1320, 1/4 mile times are great but again, so many factors such as elavation, humidity, temp, and type of surface. Anyways I hope this thread continues to provide all this useful info.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 03:34 AM
Evolved Member

BR has said that the mods that they have done are not specifically designed for quarter mile times only. They are made for the best bang for the buck and to keep the car as streetable as possible. To see them take the car and make it pull these numbers while still maintain every bit of its streetability is pretty impressive to me. The fact that most other companies want you to change camshafts or do an ECU reflash to get this type of performance where with BR that all remains stock. I think the biggest gains will ultimately be seen with BR. Whti the Stage 1 mods that they sell, you can make your car perform great for any situation and still be 100% streetable. After that, you can decide if you want to build it for drag, street use, autocross, or whatever else you want.

That's just my opinion.

Josh
Old Jul 26, 2003, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

I could see how you would consider a piggy-back or cams as bit to radical, but almost all evo tuners agree on the fact that a piggy-back should be used to utilize the cars capabilities to the fullest, even before a intake or a filter. Even BR use the less agressive and less percise S-AFC. My outlook on things is that I have a feeling that AMS will quickly become the most bang for the buck upgrade when they come out with their new GT turbo kit. But, I honestly feel that Vishnu will simply be unbeatable in their product quality.

What bothers me is that I have heard from people on this board that say that both the RMR and the BR t-backs haven't met their personal expectations at all. But, I have heard good things about AMS's cat-back, which sounds absolutely intoxicating. Personally, I am leaning towards Vishnu more and more everyday for the main fact that they spend so much time on R&D, and after seeing my freind's Vishnu stage II WRX and how easy the XEDE is to work with, I am simply hooked.

Sorry I think I got a little OT, BTW 90GSX-03EVO, do you have any upgrades yet or do you know of any feedback about any other upgrades?
Old Jul 26, 2003, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

I've been talking to Darryl from Ultimate. They've got two more stages coming out. One which includes the Greddy E-Manage and one that is a complete turbo and manifold upgrade!

So everyone WAIT!