Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Street Tuner Challenge finale

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Given the scope of the competition, the Focus deservedly won.

My $.02 on the Evo build:
- Should have never brought an RS ... no ABS (duh)
- What's with the ghetto flat black and riced-out stickers?
- Interior build ... what interior build? My Evo's interior looks better, and I'm no professional builder...
- Engine build ... not so impressive. Maybe they should have let Tuning Technologies handle the engine build along with the tuning.

Overall a very disappointing Evo build.

l8r)

PS.: I see a lot of smack about not being able to brake quicker w/out ABS ... that's a nice theory'n all, but I have yet to personally see anyone demonstrate that they can consistently brake better w/out ABS. Quite a few thought they could, only to fail miserably in competition.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:11 PM
Evolving Member

well the show is dumb..........thos two cars are no competition for the evo..i cant beleive they even considered it in the same class as thos two junk box's...plus the evo is better in every aspect...idk it just pissed me off watching it..
Old Feb 1, 2008, 01:43 PM

The problem I had is that the Evo is such a strong car in "stock" form -- Of course you can see larger percentage improvements from the other powerplants, because they're incredibly -weak- to start. If they wanted to do that kind of a comparison, they should have used a stock mitsu lancer, rather than the Evo.

I was also disappointed that they didn't post the lap times, and I wasn't really happy with how they did the dyno session.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 04:29 PM

I agree, the show loses my interest quickly.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
they should have gotten an EVO tuner to build the EVO. AMS should have been picked for something like that. 550whp for the mods done to that car seem extremely low. one stupid thing is why didn't they compare the braking performance with an RS? why did they use a car with ABS vs no ABS? i know no ABS stops faster, but for someone who doesn't know what he's doing, at least he would have ****ed BOTH cars up so the difference in stopping wouldn't have been so bad. the EVO should have killed all of those cars in everything. i loved the stealth black color, but they could have left the stickers at home. all in all the show is ****ing retarded, but it was nice to see an EVO.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

The Evo won where it mattered, they just needed a different driver to get the brakes to work.

The Focus is still a Focus and the Mini......failed miserably. Stupid show either way.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:00 PM
slt
Evolved Member

The whole competition was based on % of improvement. The only reason the Evo lost was because the Focus was such a ****ty car to begin with. As far as overall performance, the Evo blew the competion away, but when compared to stock, the focus won. The evo comes turbocharged with Brembo brakes. The Focus comes with no horsepower and ****ty brakes. Tripling crap isn't hard to do.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gottf257
the thing i didnt get is how its a 'street tuner challenge' but they didnt even count the lap times in the competition? should been 'show car tuner challenge'....
+1 because dr.charles didnt do a show car, he did a track car and its awesome
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
speedchannel sucks. It's just a bunch of Nacrap and BarretJackson bull$hit 90% of the time. Who the hell watches a car auction four hours straight?
Old Feb 6, 2008, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mattv
I was also disappointed that they didn't post the lap times, and I wasn't really happy with how they did the dyno session.
From memory:

Stock EVO - 1:39
S2 EVO - 1:25

Stock Focus - 1:49ish
Modified Focus - 1:35ish
Old Feb 7, 2008, 03:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
they should have gotten an EVO tuner to build the EVO. AMS should have been picked for something like that. 550whp for the mods done to that car seem extremely low. one stupid thing is why didn't they compare the braking performance with an RS? why did they use a car with ABS vs no ABS? i know no ABS stops faster, but for someone who doesn't know what he's doing, at least he would have ****ed BOTH cars up so the difference in stopping wouldn't have been so bad. the EVO should have killed all of those cars in everything. i loved the stealth black color, but they could have left the stickers at home. all in all the show is ****ing retarded, but it was nice to see an EVO.
The show was about the improvement from stock so the EVO was a big underdog actually. Why is it so hard for people to understand that.
550 whp is great for a track EVO. AMS's car typically runs about that amount of whp. What did you want them to build, a drag car?
They should of got an RS for the stock comparison not the other way around.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 04:29 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by nightwalker
speedchannel sucks. It's just a bunch of Nacrap and BarretJackson bull$hit 90% of the time. Who the hell watches a car auction four hours straight?
Ummm...I can't lie. I've left that auction playing on tv while web browsing and stuff. Beats pretty much everything else on tv nowadays. (Except for South Park, Family Guy, and a few shows on discovery channel )