Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

megan racing tbe?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2008, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need one badly just need to sell my rays cb first.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 05:32 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's not a better TBE "bang for the buck" than Megan in my opinion... I still have my original on my 03 Evo from when I started test fitting them for the Head Honcho at Megan. He's the one who convinced me to sell them. This particular turboback has over 50k miles on it without any issues, nor signs of failing. That was the original model which generally does not fit mid year 04' and up Evos well. However, the latest design ROCKS, and is nicer to boot. A search of "Megan Exhaust" and "Megan turboback" will give you more than enough reviews

Last edited by Zeus; Jan 31, 2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by eponti
I have the megan racing tbe and no regrets
+1, but without the silencer it can get loud. I have a 20" resonator welded into my catback and the wife and baby don't complain, all done by TTP
Old Jan 31, 2008, 05:40 PM
Evolving Member

Megan Is Good Stuff
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:42 PM

i was wondering would you get the same amount of hp and tq from the megan tbe as you would from top brands such as hks and etc.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:10 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by turboked
i was wondering would you get the same amount of hp and tq from the megan tbe as you would from top brands such as hks and etc.
What would make HKS a top brand? Price?

HKS is one of the worst systems for the evo. Downpipe is 2.5"=stock, catbacks taper at the catalytic converter, all contributing to a loss in power.

HKS should be taking lessons from Megan Racing. Twice as expensive for half the performance.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

I would think the gains are very similar. Any differences can easily be attributed to dyno fluctuations.

One thing to note: I've read the Megan TBE is heavier than the stock piping while the Bushur TBE is lighter. That fact in itself is the main reason they sound so different, the thickness of the piping has a huge impact on exhaust tone.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

its actually lighter by ~19.2lbs. I have it, sounds really good. Only issue i have is when i first start it up and drive out of the parking lot in 1st gear, I get a semi-loud rattle from the exhaust. It clears the bars and does not hit anything, but something is rattling and everything is tight. YMMV.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Megan products are really good. I have a Megan dp and o2 housing and feel very happy with them.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 02:05 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Kemist
+1, but without the silencer it can get loud. I have a 20" resonator welded into my catback and the wife and baby don't complain, all done by TTP
Interesting, the newer catbacks come with an inline resonator... they have since the 06' model year.

Last edited by Zeus; Feb 1, 2008 at 02:08 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

I have had three different exhaust systems on my car and the Megan turned out to be the best overall exhaust. Great sound, performance, quality, and fitment. Best bang for the buck, period.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 07:03 AM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Zeus
Interesting, the newer catbacks come with an inline resonator... they have since the 06' model year.
He has the newest model. Vibrant Performance makes an ultra quiet resonator that when broken in, quiets down the car quite a bit. We added this inline.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 01:16 PM

got the exhaust out of the way thanks guys imma have to go with megan tbe
but one more thing is it okay to install the tbe and o2 housing together without a flash?
Old Feb 1, 2008, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

got the exhaust out of the way thanks guys imma have to go with megan tbe
but one more thing is it okay to install the tbe and o2 housing together without a flash?
You might actually see a slight loss in power without a flash. As with any modification to the Evo you must get a re-flash. You've got to pay to play
Old Feb 1, 2008, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

You could go ahead and install them as long as getting a tune is on your to-do list in the near future.

My buddy has installed TBE, EBC, O2, intake, BOV (sigh...it's a vta), and i/c pipings on his IX right now. Over a year, no tune and he's still running. I make fun of him for it everytime I see him though. So yeah, it can be done without a tune but it's pretty stupid IMO.

Quick Reply: megan racing tbe?