Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Need Help A.S.A.P.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2008, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CBRicahrd
24 what...24 Bananas?
.024-.026 on a feeler gauge
Old Jan 31, 2008, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by SWOLN
Shot in the dark. How cold is it? Is there a chance your gap is too large on the plugs? When it gets cold here my car breaks up a little in th upper RPM's, mostly because the air is more dense, and the boost goes up 2 psi. When its warmer, I don't have any issues. I know I need to reduce my gap to fix the breakup in the upper RPM's. I am not throwing any codes.
its been below 20 degrees for the past few weeks. The problem was there before i put the new spark plugs in. The spark plugs are NGK iridiums that auto zone special ordered. Although there were 2 different kinds of the same one he said that it wouldn't make a difference. I put the new spark plugs in 3 days ago.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MikeyLeblanc
its been below 20 degrees for the past few weeks. The problem was there before i put the new spark plugs in. The spark plugs are NGK iridiums that auto zone special ordered. Although there were 2 different kinds of the same one he said that it wouldn't make a difference. I put the new spark plugs in 3 days ago.
Are they theses?

NGK BPR7ES - Stock heat range. $2.24 each Sparkplugs.com
NGK BPR8ES - 1 step colder. $2.24 each Sparkplugs.com

I used the 8's gaged to .024..
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by IEXCELR8
Are they theses?

I used the 8's gaged to .024..
NGK Laser Iridium Premium. IGR7A-G Stock No. 3106 is what it says on the box. It says, "Do not adjust spark plug gap due to possible damage to fine center electrode. They were $9.99 each.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Buy BPR7ES gap them to .24

My evo hates the stock plugs.
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

NGK Laser Iridium Premium. IGR7A-G Stock No. 3106 is what it says on the box. It says, "Do not adjust spark plug gap due to possible damage to fine center electrode. They were $9.99 each.
I would change them to either of theses

as mentioned, in fact buy both and try them out since they are cheap.

Gap to .024-.026 as I mentioned earlier.Yes you do not adjust the gap on Iridium plugs..
Old Jan 31, 2008, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

I agree with changing the plugs(NGK BPR7ES ), Also who tuned your car..
Old Feb 1, 2008, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
When you changed the spark plugs initially you didn't change the gap, so yes the problem would still persist. Get the BP7ES (non resistor type), and gap them to .20. If you can't find them get the above mentioned BPr7ES and gap to .20-.21. If that doesn't work check where your boost cut is set at. Does it happen at lower boost too? Try to turn it down 3 psi. Do you have Evoscan? If so you might want to send a log to Mellon on the board. It seems he has run into this snafu before.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

i think i need to change my plugs before something like this happens to me. but ya i woulda thought something in the fuel system.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 05:23 PM

Well i took it to the dealership today, and they switched the Coil plugs (Cylinder 4 coil plug was put on cylinder 2 and vice versa). The SES light is off but i still felt it misfiring on the way home. I took it to Advanced Auto Parts afterwards and instead of being cylinder #4 misfiring, it is now a P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder misfire detected. So i am guessing it has something to do with the coil plugs. I will call the dealership in the morning and tell them.
Old Feb 1, 2008, 08:15 PM
Evolving Member

Well i took it to the dealership today, and they switched the Coil plugs (Cylinder 4 coil plug was put on cylinder 2 and vice versa). The SES light is off but i still felt it misfiring on the way home. I took it to Advanced Auto Parts afterwards and instead of being cylinder #4 misfiring, it is now a P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder misfire detected. So i am guessing it has something to do with the coil plugs. I will call the dealership in the morning and tell them.
Ey buddy that there is a factory recall. Do some searching on here and you'll get more information. Basically its being unlucky and obviously you own a 03 and yes it only happens to 03's. I have that on my 03 evo 8 also and all you can really do is change spark plugs and/or also get a C-Reader. Possibly on ebay or so. I haven't purchased a C-Reader but i am told by many people and friends that it really works and help out alot. A C-Reader is a CEL fixer upper just if you dont know. But regardless you'll always have this prob. I think i read somewhere that stated even though it a recall all they do is do some fancy flashing to your ecu and thats all. But the bad part to the story is that they flash your ECU back to STOCK!!! So basically your Custom Flash is destroyed unless you can get into your ECU and copy it. But even if they do that and you install your flash back onto your ECU the problem still won't be gone so either way your screwed just like many of us. So best bet is prolly finding a CEL reader that clears the code while driving so you dont have that misfire BS. Hope this help and if im wrong please someone correct me.