Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Buying a car by fax

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2003, 03:29 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buying a car by fax

I remember reading on one of the forums someone describing in detail how to negotiate a car purchase by fax, but for the life of me, I can't find the darn post.

Anybody seen the post? The guy actually pasted in a bunch of the text he used, and said, "feel free to plagairize..."

Any leads would be appreciated!
Old Jul 30, 2003, 11:00 AM
Evolving Member

Cool re:Buying a car by Fax

This thread was very informative, I remember reading through it and checking out the websites that he used to help negotiate his price. Good luck!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...fightingchance
Old Jul 30, 2003, 01:29 PM

Lightbulb

I bought my Evo by email. I emailed all of the local dealers with a message like:

"I want these options: blah blah I want this color: blah
I am ready to buy and have financing through eloan.com. What is your lowest price on this car?"

It worked. I got a full spectrum of responses, but two very low deals. I played the two dealers off of each other and ended up paying $200 over invoice for the exact car I wante.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Hell I bought my car over the phone.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

I knew what I wanted and what I wanted to spend. Customers can be the difficult ones to deal with. I have years of experience selling cars and love it when people know what they wanna buy. It makes the selling experience so much easier. I often get the people I fully educate on a car and they end up wasting my time when I happen to be 100% commission. Yeah I wanna look at buying a car but, I am about a year away. yada yada yada
Old Jul 30, 2003, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

Re: re:Buying a car by Fax

Originally posted by LilJapnBoy
This thread was very informative, I remember reading through it and checking out the websites that he used to help negotiate his price. Good luck!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...fightingchance
THAT was the thread I was looking for, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Old Jul 30, 2003, 06:17 PM
In Timeout

Legally (at least in PA) all documents must be originals or carbons with signatures...faxing and faxing back documents back is not legal. We have done several long distance deals (on in CA)...using FED-EX to overnight the paperwork...

And to get a price..for gods sake...call the dealership! Salespeople don't bite...we're nice!
Old Jul 31, 2003, 07:16 AM

Work with the fleet manager or Internet salesperson (often the same). Never work with a floor salesperson! The fleet manager cares more about just moving cars that making a profit for themselves.

While you're at it, read "Confessions of a Car Salesman " on Edmunds.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by 5StarSuzuki
Legally (at least in PA) all documents must be originals or carbons with signatures...faxing and faxing back documents back is not legal. We have done several long distance deals (on in CA)...using FED-EX to overnight the paperwork...

And to get a price..for gods sake...call the dealership! Salespeople don't bite...we're nice!
I have to ask - are you serious? Is this post a joke?
Old Jul 31, 2003, 10:19 AM

yeah man im with kurichan... but its not so much about y'all biting (which many do, worse than that as well) as it is the money. We can get a better deal by fax than in person.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:31 AM
In Timeout

Well, the legal part isn't a joke. And the second part is also not a joke...I'm a nice guy
Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I guess there are some nice car salesmen out there...

I guess...

But it's really all about making a buck.

I'd rather keep the buck in my pocket than hand it over.

Oh yeah, I'm nice too. Trust me.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 11:52 AM
In Timeout

Well...I recommend going to your local dealership, talking to a salesperson...State the price you would like to purchase the vehicle for (Invoice is 28960) and ask if they will do the deal. Also, Most of the salespersons commission is directly from the manufacturer depending upon the vehicle. They also get paid based upon SSI score... You will NOT get a better deal by calling and asking for fleet manager/sales manager...because ultimately it is decided upon by management anyhow. So Stop in drive the EVO and chances are you'll enjoy getting the vehicle locally!
Old Jul 31, 2003, 12:08 PM

The only walk-in I did was to test drive. The floor salesman wouldn't take anything less than MSRP. Go with the fax or email method and you won't have to deal with all of the BS.
Old Jul 31, 2003, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by 5StarSuzuki
Well...I recommend going to your local dealership, talking to a salesperson...State the price you would like to purchase the vehicle for (Invoice is 28960) and ask if they will do the deal. Also, Most of the salespersons commission is directly from the manufacturer depending upon the vehicle. They also get paid based upon SSI score... You will NOT get a better deal by calling and asking for fleet manager/sales manager...because ultimately it is decided upon by management anyhow. So Stop in drive the EVO and chances are you'll enjoy getting the vehicle locally!
5Star,

It's certainly possible that Suzuki has a radically different comp plan than any other car dealer out there, but I know of NO line car salesman ANYWHERE who receives his commission from the factory. You are an employee of the dealership, no? The dealership pays commissions as an expense item out of their overall profit margin. Good car salesmen do earn their commissions, to be sure, and there are some good ones out there. Hopefully you're one of those guys.

FWIW, I offered $28,650 (silver evo, CF wing, no roof), which is $750 over invoice, in April to the line salesman who was nice enough to give me my test drive. I gave him two hours to respond to my offer before I started faxing other dealers. I did this as a professional courtesy to him, though I knew he would probably "check with his manager" and turn me down. He did, and I moved on.

I faxed 5 dealers (sales managers) total. The first (above) turned me down. Two agreed to take my deal. One agreed to the price +$500, and one did not respond. If you fax enough, you will find the dealers who are willing to DEAL. Work with them.

Those results suggest that working directly with the sales manager is the best way to score a low-profit deal. I do, however, support the idea of giving your line salesman who worked with you on the test drive the first shot, but make a specific offer (by fax or phone), give him a couple of hours to say yes, and if he doesn't move on to the long list of sales managers you've already prepared. If 5Star is right, you win. If he's wrong, you still win.

My opinion,

John G

Last edited by Johng316; Jul 31, 2003 at 03:42 PM.