Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

help from those with hid kits?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2008, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help from those with hid kits?

well i installed an 8000k hid kit just about a month ago and everything went well. i mounted the ballast securely and openly in the engine away from everything because i didnt like the idea of mounting them under the headlights or anywhere where they can be more exposed the elements. well today i come to find that my drivers side headlight looks like a wierd cross between a stock 4000k-ish and a dim halogen bulb. the light output is terrible. i checked all the connections and everything seems fine. i did notice that the light hum from the ballast/igniter on the drivers side with the problem is making a bit louder and higher pitched whine than the faint lower sound normally emitted from the passenger side unit. i took some pics as best i could to try and show what i have going on. now at first i thought it was a crappy bulb but after hearing the ballast a little closer and thinking about things the best i can come up with is that the ballast must be acting up or dieing causing it not to be able to ignite the bulb fully?

Old Feb 1, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maybe a wire grounding out?
Old Feb 1, 2008, 08:37 PM
Account Disabled

is this a made in China kit from ebay?
Old Feb 2, 2008, 04:08 AM
Evolving Member

yes i did buy it from ebay. technically its a made in germany kit but whatever. the brand is called genesis and the ebay seller all had really great feedback on the kits. i'm not so much worried at this point about the kit itself, just more so trying to figure out what needs replaced. i guess it wouldnt hurt to say both the bulb and the ballast need replacing. i went through and checked the connections so i'd have to guess its not a ground issue. also this morning just now when i went to go to work i turned my headlights on and the first try the drivers side did nothing. i shut it off and turned it back on and it lit up but doesnt really put out any actual light.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 04:42 AM
Evolved Member

I don't think your light bulb is burning because if it does the it'll turn red. If it's a bad ballast then I think it'll be dimmer. Both of them seem pretty bright from the picture so I'm guessing that they probably put the wrong bulb color in by accident. I think it's 10K and up that has a violet look like your drivers headlight right now. Well that's just my guess.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

thanks for the input everyone by the way. they were both the same up until yesterday. i've compared mine with both a 10000k and 6000k and they definitely are 8000k. but like i said now that bulb lights up dim and does put out **** for light. i think it has gotten worse like as in the ballast is dieing. time for warranty