Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New Problem After Spring Install

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2008, 03:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Problem After Spring Install

just to give you a little background i recently installed my Swift Mach Sport MR springs and i have over 500 miles on them and a total of 12k miles on my car. i want to diagnose/fix the problem before i get an alignment. so i think i fixed the "spring binding" problem (i put lube on the front strut bearing), but now i have another problem. when i start the car i can hear a short rattling sound coming from the left front wheel, but it goes away after a second. i also hear a short, deep vibrating sound when i'm driving in straight. it comes and goes and i can only hear it when my stereo is turned down. i can feel the vibration under my feet, but i'm not really sure where it's coming from. help me out guys.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have Swifts too and also did the install myself. I would ensure you have everything assembled correctly at the hub. Make sure the two main bolts are torqued correctly and also make sure your brake line is secure and is not hitting/rubbing on anything. Also double check your wheel lug nut torque (yea it could be something simple as that, just check it).

You also left the rubber pieces on the top and bottom parts of the spring itself correct? Swift says it's to keep the paint from cracking when the spring compresses, but theres probably other benefits from it as well. If you've checked everything you can always just drop the one side again and re-install. Good luck with it!
Old Feb 2, 2008, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah i reinstalled the spring/shock 3 times just to make sure i didnt overlook anything. i left the rubber parts on the top and bottom of the shock. i'm pretty sure i mounted the wheel on properly, but i'll double check since that's easy. would it be okay if i switched the left shock for the right shock. i'm pretty sure they dont have to be on a specific side. i just want to see if the shock/spring is the problem or if it's something else.