Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Mitsubishi to offer cheaper Evo - in the UK

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:30 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mitsubishi to offer cheaper Evo - in the UK

From whatcar.com:
Mitsubishi will introduce a cheaper version of its Evo VIII performance car early next year.

The new entry-level Evo will develop 260bhp and should cost around £24,000 – £3000 less than the 276bhp RS 11 and £5000 cheaper than the 301bhp FQ-300 range-topper.

Despite the drop in power, the new Evo is still likely to hit 60mph in less than six seconds and have a top speed in excess of 150mph.

A five-speed manual gearbox will replace the six-speed ’box used in the RS II and FQ-300, while the car’s rear wing may also be made smaller.

The car will be a rival for Subaru’s 261bhp Impreza WRX STi, which costs £24,995.
It sounds like they'll be getting the US version. So they'll have 3 versions of the Evo separated at most by £5000. Why can't they do that in the US?
Old Jul 25, 2003, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

thats something like $36,000-$37,000 (very very rough estimate) in U.S. dollars for the "cheap" one!! YIKES!!

The cheapskate in me prefers our stripper $29K version...

Last edited by SpikeLS1; Jul 25, 2003 at 09:49 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 12:18 AM
Evolving Member

Hmm, I don't know. If a higher model was offered in the US, I probably would've taken it. I mean, if you're in for this much for something you're almost completely satisfied with, what's a few more G's to go all the way? I would've prolly gone for the top model.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 02:14 AM
Evolving Member

No offense to any lancer owners here!! Seriosly.. But afterall the lancer is just a ecnobox just like the civic! Would you pay 40k for an upgraded civic?? (And no.. the Type R is alot cheaper)!! I think that is why it was bad for Mitsu to introduce the Lancer and than put out the Evo.. B/c well it seems as the Evo is just the same as the lancer, quality wise..and afterall it just is a "Upgraded" Econo-Box.. which i think for the people who are not true enthusiasts.. gives it a very bad rep!! I know this is why they're introducing the Ralliart Lancer.. to fill in the gap.. but still Mitsu Went a lil wrong in the way it introduced the cars..
Old Jul 26, 2003, 04:53 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ummm, is the lexus es300 just a camry? the evo might have the lancer base but every other part is unique to the evo, the engine, the drive train the reinforcement,etc. the m3 is just a 325?
Old Jul 26, 2003, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by sblvro
ummm, is the lexus es300 just a camry? the evo might have the lancer base but every other part is unique to the evo, the engine, the drive train the reinforcement,etc. the m3 is just a 325?
Thank you!
Old Jul 26, 2003, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by I4K20C
No offense to any lancer owners here!! Seriosly.. But afterall the lancer is just a ecnobox just like the civic! Would you pay 40k for an upgraded civic?? (And no.. the Type R is alot cheaper)!! I think that is why it was bad for Mitsu to introduce the Lancer and than put out the Evo.. B/c well it seems as the Evo is just the same as the lancer, quality wise..and afterall it just is a "Upgraded" Econo-Box.. which i think for the people who are not true enthusiasts.. gives it a very bad rep!! I know this is why they're introducing the Ralliart Lancer.. to fill in the gap.. but still Mitsu Went a lil wrong in the way it introduced the cars..

You're an idiot. The Lancer Evolution name has been around and has a well-established reputation overseas.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

personally im loving the idiots around here in civics that say "its just a lancer" gives me some extra spending cash after i show them what the car really is
Old Jul 26, 2003, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

The EVO is a Lancer Evolved. Only the drivers doors remain from the base lancer.

I don't really consider the frame the same b/c the Evo frame has been beefed up so much.

The Lancer is Bruce (or David) Banner

The Evo is the Hulk!
Old Jul 26, 2003, 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

Why is there an Evolution?

Simple, Mitsu wanted to win rallys. No matter what anyone says, including me, people cannot get it through their thick skulls that Mitsu didnt just forget to make the EVO nicer, or not think about giving it more comfort. The car is built to go like hell and has all the pieces necessary to do so. If you think the Evo is just an upgraded Lancer, go drive one.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

The EVO is a high performance Lancer. I own an EVO. I knew this before I bought it and have no regrets. Anybody thinking any different is severely medicated.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 02:59 PM
Evolving Member

are you mentally ill?? the type r was selling for 25K when new, correct me if i'm wrong but that's only 4K less then the evo.. and you've got it backwards pall, the lancer is a stripped down Evo, not the other way around. And mitsu may not sell as many cars as Honda but don't you think you should be thinking about trading in your RSX for a SRT4... and i would like to see a honda run mid to low 13's with less then 5K in upgrades, and dont say nitrous cause I will have take your car and then your girl...

GOD I HATE DUMBASSES!!
Old Jul 26, 2003, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

you're classic...

anyway, how come the UK gets a super beefed up EVO...
Old Jul 26, 2003, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

If you figure that the full-spec (AYC, ACD, 6-speed, titanium turbo, etc.) Evo VIII would have been $37,000 (Mitsubishi's estimate), I think they would have still sold a ton of them. The cognoscenti (look it up) among us know what is worth the money and what is not. I have already put $3500 into my car - another $3500 (especially financed over 5 years) wouldn't have been a big hit. If they wanted to really capture the market, they could have the used the current US-spec Evo like the WRX and the full-blown JDM-spec like the STi. In this sense, I think Subaru outdid Mitsubishi. Too bad my US-spec still spanks the STi...
Old Jul 27, 2003, 07:56 PM
Evolved Member

Glad they didn't bring that otha **** over here ... just more crap that is not necessary. Our evo's handle like a fuc*in nothin' I've ever drivin .... wouldn't want to add sophistication (AYC, ACD) to a nice formula known as ........ simplicity.

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi to offer cheaper Evo - in the UK