Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

almost bought an evo, watch out for dealers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm interesting. I cant see how it could be better for people to do it daily. I did it once on accident and I was freaked out at how easily it slipped out
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

dont be a lil girl if you like the car buy it, you can pull it out of gear into neutral without pressing the clutch any manual car you can do that to, the car is stalling because of the BOV and a ****ty tune
Old Feb 3, 2008, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by sharkm87
its mostly all in the feel of the car, you cant do it at every rpm but its fairly easy and comes out with the slightest of a nudge.

lets say you drivin, and coming to a stop and you are in third...while you breakin rpms are dropping rougly i'd say 2.5 grand, just push that sucker right into nuetral without pressin clutch.....its easy to do on excel as well, if you are in second or whatever soon as you let off gas you can put it in nuetral..

its kinda hard to explain until you actually try it..but def on decel you can take it out of gear when car is rolling to a stop

I understand what your saying, I do it all the time when i drive my Integ. At a Certain RPM it "slips" in/out of gear easier than at other rpms, mostly just rev matches.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:54 AM
Evolving Member

i didn't know we can shift to neutral without pressing the clutch...i am gonna try it on my other car later...lol
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mifesto
i think TTP was abit quick in his words and didnt realize what he was trying to say. in theory clutchless shift is better IF u get the correct rpm to 'snick' into the next gear... but reality is its very difficult to do consistently(especially when driving harder) and grinding will ensue. using the clutch, you are feathering and increasing wear(ever so slightly) on the bearing and clutch surface.
...the OP specifically said the dealer was taking the car out of gear into nuetral.....not shifting to another gear without pressing the clutch.

i think you are a bit quick in your words
Old Feb 4, 2008, 04:25 AM
Evolving Member

rofl, "I was a national drag champ at 11"

At that, you should be able to search his name up.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Here's the issue, you already have a bad feeling about this guy and the car, there's a big chance that you will be looking for anything else that can be wrong with the car as soon as you drive it out the lot. If you have the money to invest in the car for maintenace or repairs and you are very handy with cars, then go for it but usually, when you start a deal on the wrong foot or you have a "feeling", it never stops there. I know you probably want this car badly, I mean, come on, it's an Evo, but you don't want to deal with headaches or the "what do you guys think about this sound my Evo is making?" threads.

You might have to do a little more research out there and wait for the right car. If a deal is too good to be true, it is.

Good luck which ever way you decide to go.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sharkm87
idk..to me nothing was done wrong.......every manual car i drive, i take it out of gear to neutral without clutching...only when just going to nuetral....

but to have the dealer "beatin" on the car....so....you do want to see what a car can do before you purchase it right? so whats wrong with that..would you rather buy the car than try a pull one day and the tranny fall out....so why not see whats goin on with the car the first time around.
i tried pulling it into neutral today without the clutch and it works so easy, i never knew you could do that. and its not that i didnt "test" the car, i did and i wasnt a puss about it either. but its just that i didnt like seeing him do it. especially after he had just told me this, "well idk man, it never stalled for me and i took it home all last week, but i didnt drive her hard cuz i didnt want to break anyting" (with a little snicker, like he was accusing me) which means he obviously liked the car so he took it home so he could drive it hard ya know. Anyway the guy was a straight up lier, he also told me the car "literally hasnt been started in a month".

O and im def not gonna buy it, its too far away and the minute i left the lot i was disappointed but done.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MikSchultzy
rofl, "I was a national drag champ at 11"

At that, you should be able to search his name up.
wow, cant believe i didnt even think of that. but the bad thing is im not certain what age he was when he said that. i know he said he started when he was 7, and i still dont know how old he was anyway so... but his name was Dan
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

sorry, let me explain. i know he said he was a national drag champ in the XXX (w/e the abreviation is) when he was some young age, maybe 13 i cant remember now but for some reason those number stick
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

hey can anybody identify this exhaust, cuz i think i really like it
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would not buy a car from such a shady dealership. Taking the car out of gear and putting it neutral is actually very easy and it comes right out. I can actually shift 1-4 like that and back down but I can't get 5th all the time just because the position it is in.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:29 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Guy doesn't seem shady at all. Are you going to buy the car to drive it like a prius? If he owns the dealership he probably owns the cars... I'm guessing he can take any car there that he likes. Wouldn't be a bad idea of him to get a feel for one of his pricier cars either to see what was wrong with it.

Either way, its true, Iowans don't know turbo imports, but nothing you described warranted a ****ty view of this guy.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fostytou
Guy doesn't seem shady at all. Are you going to buy the car to drive it like a prius? If he owns the dealership he probably owns the cars... I'm guessing he can take any car there that he likes. Wouldn't be a bad idea of him to get a feel for one of his pricier cars either to see what was wrong with it.

Either way, its true, Iowans don't know turbo imports, but nothing you described warranted a ****ty view of this guy.
well, i cant describe all of what made him seem that way but all that matters is that i knew he was a shady dude. the real reason i started this thread was about the car and why it did what it did, i just also threw the dealer in there too cuz he just made the day s**t with his attitude and all
Old Feb 4, 2008, 05:07 PM
Evolving Member

theres no evos you like around ur area? im sure in the next few months there will be alot more turning up as guys will be trading theirs in for X's. so maybe wait it out for a little longer and u cud prolly find a good used one alot closer to you than iowa.

Originally Posted by bluebanana23
Sounds like the car has a Greddy type-s bov and with both springs inside which tends to make evos stall. Typing from experience...
and i actually just replaced my blitz with a type s on my 05 viii and ive noticed my car seems to buck alot and even bog down and almost die while im stopped at lights in neutral. im guessing my car was previously tuned bc the rev limiter is 6k and when i had the injen intake/uicp it fixed my idling problem.

Quick Reply: almost bought an evo, watch out for dealers