Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

almost bought an evo, watch out for dealers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
almost bought an evo, watch out for dealers

okay, heres my weekend story. this weekend i drove down to iowa to test drive this evo that i found. i talked to the dealer on the phone and he sounded like a nice guy and insured me that the car was in good condition and all.

After a long night of driving i get there at 10 in the morning. i walk in and him and some other guy are just sitting at a table talking. after i stand there for a while and them doing nothing, i introduce myself, its not like he didnt know i was coming for the car either.

He hands me the keys and i go outside to begin looking it over, he stayed inside. first i looked the outside and inside over and there was nothing but metal in the trunk... then for the engine bay. i popped the hood and instantly noticed a BOV (cant remember company but it was purple) but no signs or turning back to stock. along with that it had a manual boost, no but deal with that too much. i started her up and went for a drive. all was going fine, as i drove through a residential area nearby. at about 2psi of boost i heard the BOV like crazy. before this the only evos i had driven were stock except for intake so i knew they wernt supposed to sound like that, and i know what a bov sounds like. so it made me wonder a bit. once i get on an open road i open her up a bit and stuff. but all of a sudden im just driving regularly and decide to shift into 5th, while the clutch is down the car stalls and im like wtf. i jump start it and keep driving. then it happens again, and again 6 times total. i go back to the dealer and tell him its stalling. He says its never happened to him before WHEN HE TOOK IT HOME FROM WORK for a whole week. i didnt like that too much but said he never beat on it, so he was trying to blame me. then i tell him why i thought it happened and hes like lets go for a ride. so we do and of course it doesnt do it for him but comes very close, goes down to about 200rpms.

Along the way he beats on it hard. He took it into red a few times and shifted hard. what kind of dealer does this, while a perspective buyer is in the car!!!! he tried telling me that it was because of the tune that the car stalled or would almost stall. idk about that. but on the way back he told me that when he was 11 he was the national drag racing champ. w/e, i dont really believe that either. in the end i didnt buy it in case u were wondering.

My questions are: Was it maybe a tune, or what i think the BOV, a vacuum leak or the idler censor?

Second, when he was driving hard he wouldnt use the clutch to take the car out of gear. he just pulled it out of gear instead of disengaging the clutch, is this okay to do, i had no idea you could do that without some damage??

Real sorry for the long post but i wanted you guys to get alot of the story to help me out, theres alot more but i think thats all thats important.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:22 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can shift to neutral without the clutch. Its actually better for the clutch.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wonder if it was VTA and not tuned for that.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:25 PM

please don't buy that car. You'll be doing yourself a great service, that dealer sounds like a real winner If the BOV was vent to air then that could be the stalling problem either way if the previous owner didn't beat on the car the dealer took car of that really fast
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the car has a Greddy type-s bov and with both springs inside which tends to make evos stall. Typing from experience...
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

thats what i thought a greddy, but i quickly looked on their site for like a min and i didnt c any purple ones so i just started typing this. but yeah i know it didnt seem beat on but the dealer sure as hell did, and he said he took it home for a week so who know what else he did, especially if is a drag champ. by the way he said he has a few cobras in the garage, i only remember 1 he mentioned with 800rwhp that ran 8.80s, and i looked for it but didnt c it around.

so was i right, the bov is why it stalled? o and it would do it at around 4000-5500ish rpms (not exactly sure)
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

o, whats VTA? and are you saying that when i get an evo, if im going hard on it when i want to let off and go to neutral i can just throw it out of gear without the clutch and everythings just fine? im also assuming that i can do this at low rpms as well huh
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

sounds like the guy was a a$$ dont buy from there and do urself a favor
Old Feb 3, 2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Oki Panoki
o, whats VTA? and are you saying that when i get an evo, if im going hard on it when i want to let off and go to neutral i can just throw it out of gear without the clutch and everythings just fine? im also assuming that i can do this at low rpms as well huh
VTA is Vent to atmosphere, shifting without the clutch is called speed shifting and doing this in low rpm is not good.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 09:09 PM
Evolved Member

Don't buy any foreign cars from Iowa, especially an Evo. I'm originally from Iowa and all they know is american or muscle cars. Just FYI, the salesmen there don't know shi***t about japanese vehicles. Don't waste anymore time, there are way better deals, just get out of that state
Old Feb 3, 2008, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

idk..to me nothing was done wrong.......every manual car i drive, i take it out of gear to nuetral without clutching...only when just goin to nuetral....

but to have the dealer "beatin" on the car....so....you do want to see what a car can do before you purchase it right? so whats wrong with that..would you rather buy the car than try a pull one day and the tranny fall out....so why not see whats goin on with the car the first time around.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 09:25 PM
CDO
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AmF_15
...shifting without the clutch is called speed shifting and doing this in low rpm is not good.
He's not talking about speed shifting. Just popping it into neutral without the clutch.
Old Feb 3, 2008, 09:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TTP Engineering
You can shift to neutral without the clutch. Its actually better for the clutch.
Whoaaaa whoa. Ellaborate, I totally cant believe this. Somebody please explain
Old Feb 3, 2008, 09:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoJedi77
Whoaaaa whoa. Ellaborate, I totally cant believe this. Somebody please explain
its mostly all in the feel of the car, you cant do it at every rpm but its fairly easy and comes out with the slightest of a nudge.

lets say you drivin, and coming to a stop and you are in third...while you breakin rpms are dropping rougly i'd say 2.5 grand, just push that sucker right into nuetral without pressin clutch.....its easy to do on excel as well, if you are in second or whatever soon as you let off gas you can put it in nuetral..

its kinda hard to explain until you actually try it..but def on decel you can take it out of gear when car is rolling to a stop
Old Feb 3, 2008, 09:53 PM
Evolved Member

i think TTP was abit quick in his words and didnt realize what he was trying to say. in theory clutchless shift is better IF u get the correct rpm to 'snick' into the next gear... but reality is its very difficult to do consistently(especially when driving harder) and grinding will ensue. using the clutch, you are feathering and increasing wear(ever so slightly) on the bearing and clutch surface.

Last edited by mifesto; Feb 3, 2008 at 09:56 PM.

Quick Reply: almost bought an evo, watch out for dealers