Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Trading evo 8 or 9 for 10?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X is growin on me . =P
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:45 PM
Evolving Member

i'll probably trade my viii for a ix....hahaha...not x for sure
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BOOSTEZ
I've thought about this long and hard (even when the IX came out) and here is my situation:

I have poured over $45k in my VIII over the course of 4 years. I worked hard to make that car as efficient as it can be. With the little mods it has, it can keep up with the best mildly modded IXs. I built this car. And it's my FIRST new car ever!

So I go to the dealer, and trade it in for $20k on another $45k car (add taxes). I am now $25k in debt yet AGAIN and I have to start all over again on the mod path which will probably add a little over $5k in mods just to get it where my VIII is now (I'm adding the weight of the X ) acceleration-wise, not to mention another 3-4 years of car payments.

Then the cycle starts over again when the XI comes out and is significantly better than the X and all the tuners start saying how "awesome" that car is.

When will it end? It doesn't. My thing is to pick a car.. pay it off and store it somewhere. After a few generations, THEN consider picking up a new car.

I agree with you in ways thats why I bought my evo used.I might lose 2k if I resold now.Not that bad.As far as mods......well just sell them to reclaim some money spent.Its not the money thats stopping me.Im just not in love with the x yet.Id rather have a z06
Old Feb 7, 2008, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ Thats how you are supposed to upgrade your race car....at least thats how I've been doing it (95 PGT - 98 GSX - 03 EVO - 06 EVO). I never buy new. Even at invoice price that is $5k down the toilet. If you are rich thats no big deal but some of these yahoos buy new on payments and later realize they cannot afford the car. That is a bad situation to be in.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolving Member

Regardless of good/bad the Evo X is, I just can't get over the fact of how some people trade cars as if they were baseball cards. We're talking about a severely depreciating asset worth tens of thousands of dollars.

I'm 33 and this Evo is the THIRD car that I've owned, and I've been driving since 16. I actually like to buy a car, pay it off, and enjoy it for some years before getting another one. Crazy concept, huh?
Old Feb 7, 2008, 08:11 AM
Evolved Member

Check the sig....
Old Feb 7, 2008, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sirevo8lancelot
Is anyone trading their evo 8 or 9 for an evo 10? If you are please explain why?
kill yourself
Old Feb 7, 2008, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by saiyanzzrage
kill yourself
Ha, oh how I love EvoM.

Obviously not trading here. I just got my IX a little over a year ago and there's so much potential that lies ahead. If the X retained the 4G, was a bit lighter, and out-performed the IX in every way I might have reconsidered; I'm always about the latest and greatest. As we all know, the X went a different direction to appeal to a wider audience. Those looking for added safety, convenience, and ease of use. For me, those aren't really improvements (save the addition of AYC), at least not ones worthy of a new purchase.
Old Feb 7, 2008, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sleeper3
Regardless of good/bad the Evo X is, I just can't get over the fact of how some people trade cars as if they were baseball cards. We're talking about a severely depreciating asset worth tens of thousands of dollars.

I'm 33 and this Evo is the THIRD car that I've owned, and I've been driving since 16. I actually like to buy a car, pay it off, and enjoy it for some years before getting another one. Crazy concept, huh?

+100.