Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

whos evo did i just buy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2008, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joedr
I would not buy anything over 50 bucks to somebody on ebay with 0 feedback!

FWIW... I would definately get the hit on ebay and not pay for the car. Spend 2-3K extra and buy one from a stealer or a private sale where you can actually sit your butt on the car. Just my 0.02!
+1 on that one!

There's been 5 owners, now that's a bit scary!
Old Feb 9, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolved Member

This thread has zero chance of making you feel good about this purchase. You're most likely going to end up with a bad case of buyer's remorse.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

like people said, drive the hell outta it and good luck
Old Feb 9, 2008, 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well... the cool thing is that even if you have some issues these cars are very easy to repair. With a metric socket set you can disassemble and reassemble the whole darn thing.

Most cars with aftermarket radiator and fmic have probably been in a wreck. Thats not a big deal as long as the frame isn't bent. When you go pick up the car take it for a VERY LONG DRIVE. I'm talking at least an hour. You should be able to sense if its good to go or not.

You still got a nicely modded car for a good price. That that power level the motor should be good for 200k miles. The 4G63 is simply kick ****.

You could ask them to put the car on a lift so you can inspect the under side. That would be smart. Like I said before you can always walk away.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 04:00 PM
Evolving Member

well as far as the 0 feedback thing. once again i normally would agree but its a car dealship. who i spoke with several people at. looked at thier site and they had it on the lot for 20.

jez so negative stiener, and def wrong on the first one. this thread has made me feel better about it. i dont regret the purchase just have a few doubts. i got the number of the last ower from the stealership. as far as buyers remorse. if you buy an evo that runs good and have buyers remorse ya better check your testo levels

i like jeffs poutlook on the whole thing. because hes right. i have a little expierence driving the evo. so i have a rough idea of what she should do. and im okay at spotting mechanical problems. ill drive it for an hour & if i dont like it, i walk
Old Feb 9, 2008, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

GL finding the original owner.

I'd love to talk to the previous owner of my evo, but it was stock when I got it so its not quite as important.
Old Feb 9, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

I don't mean to be negative. Best of luck to you man. Seriously. I know you're excited. Anybody would be in your shoes. Just make sure you do more than kick the tires when you take delivery. Maybe even bring an ASE certified mechanic if you know one because once you take those keys you've inherited the good, the bad and the ugly of 5 previous owners. I hope it's all good though!
Old Feb 10, 2008, 06:29 AM
Evolving Member

^ so terribly true
Old Feb 10, 2008, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

In all honesty, I think that was a steal.

Good Luck with it. You can put another 5k in it to make it be in mint and you'd still come out slightly ahead.

Cheers,

-M
Old Feb 10, 2008, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
As long as its straight you did excellent. As stated these cars are cake to work on and its nothing to drop another engine in it down the road.

No worries man enjoy
Old Feb 10, 2008, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tnhockey
damn dude...it either takes ***** or stupidity to drop 16k on a car without even seeing it first...but either way congrats n good luck.
reguardless even if it blows up tomorrow he can put the additional money he could have spent on just the car and pay for a built bottom end..... and still be under what it would have cost to buy the car. personally i say wise purchase o and btw my car has 100k miles and i bought it new.. its been making 350whp+ for a long time now...

Last edited by BaLListic_EVO; Feb 10, 2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

yes they are easy to work on. the only thing that worries me at this point is if the frame is straight. this may be a dumb question but anyone know an easy surefire way to check for that? i could pull the backseats and check the unibody under there. (its only one screw a piece right?) thats where it would seem they like to give at

Last edited by Big Shooter; Feb 10, 2008 at 12:16 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

I used to have a 3rd gen RX7 TT and it was previously wrecked and fixed. I got it modded out (putting about 350hp at the wheels) and it ran great. I also got it for 6k less for what if would have brought had it been a totally clean history. The bonus I had though was i bought it from a friend so 1. i knew the history, 2. I could drive it first. I was watching this auction actually because even if you part out the mods and go back to stock, you'are money ahead. That's alot of mods for very little money. Good luck with it. Just don't get into wreck #3 with it.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 05:36 PM
Account Disabled

I don't know if anyone else mentioned it or even noticed it but the car has a sunroof only available on the SSL package but does not have the leather interior. This car has been around the block for sure.
Old Feb 10, 2008, 06:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'd say its a good buy for that price. to check the if the chassis is bent have a 4 wheel alignment. if things go smoothly and was easily aligned then you should be ok. after changing all the fuilds change the timing belt just to be sure.

Quick Reply: whos evo did i just buy?