Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Jdm Evos folding mirrors

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2008, 09:03 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evo8jedi
I've got a set of folding mirrors sitting in my garage that I've been too lazy to install off an evo 7...
were did u get them and how much did they run you?
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by krazy srt4
From time to time you see sets for sale on ebay but they are usually used so you take the chance of getting a used set that isn't fully functional.You may want to try japanparts.They are a vendor on EVOM.
Old Feb 18, 2008, 11:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by krazy srt4
I lived in japan for 2 years, i got an entire evo 7 body from there including the mirrors... I dont wanna make you jealous with how much i got them for...
Old Feb 19, 2008, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

I have them on my Evo 2. In Japan some of the streets are so damm tight these become a necessary function. They also come in handy for less drag during high speed runs with the push of a button
Old Feb 19, 2008, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Flyin EVO 2
I have them on my Evo 2. In Japan some of the streets are so damm tight these become a necessary function. They also come in handy for less drag during high speed runs with the push of a button

Yup had them on my evo 1 when i was out there, they're a must for those back roads out there
Old Feb 19, 2008, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Flyin EVO 2
That explains why my Tahoe has them too
Old Feb 19, 2008, 10:22 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ATTN: JAPANPARTS! If you guys can offer this mod. I always check their website and have not encountered the electronically folding side mirrors for the evo VIII-IX. I know the X has an accessory where the mirror will tilt down on reverse like BMW available in their website.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Insidious Evo
Ok I got them from a dealer in Japan, they were around $450. They came in white and had to be painted $150. Then was the problem of wiring them up. It was not at all like a Honda because they have a rocker switch and these have a momentary push button. I needed to find a special kind of switching relay that my electrician friend helped me with $50. Then it was just bolting them on and running all the wires.

- Erik
shot you a PM, but Can you give me some info on the Relay that you had to get to hook them up...
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:30 PM
Former Sponsor

Japanparts replies: Parts NOT on our Site

Originally Posted by sblvro
ATTN: JAPANPARTS! If you guys can offer this mod. I always check their website and have not encountered the electronically folding side mirrors for the evo VIII-IX. I know the X has an accessory where the mirror will tilt down on reverse like BMW available in their website.
Folding mirrors are not on our Site, and here's why;

We've supplied these in the past to North American EVO owners and it's caused problems

Mitsubishi don't supply the wiring loom from the switch to the mirrors, which means a loom must be fabricated to do a retrofit install

JDM mirrors are for Right Hand drive units and owners retrofitting these to USA models have complained of that the JDM Mits. mirrors don't adjust correctly for LHD; we removed the Carbon Fibre Ralliart mirrors from our site for the same reason ( and Mits/Ralliart have since stopped making these anyway )

USA mirrors require "objects appear closer than blah-blah" wording etched into the mirror face, (which JDM mirrors don't have); this is a Federal safety requirement
We don't want a product liability suit because someone fitted the JDM mirrors, couldn't get 'em to work, and it caused an accident

Basically Catch-22:

If we sell the mirrors, + we'll have nothing but complaints ( can't fit 'em, where do the wires go? + then: err, these don't seem to work dude... )

If We Don't sell the mirrors: people will complain because we don't sell the mirrors

*Thanks for your thread and your interest; we have considerable experience in having sold the retractable mirrors and these aren't worth the grief*

Graham Ware
Export Manager
JapanpartsLLC
* Since 1996 *

Last edited by Japanparts; Feb 20, 2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Yo, I installed JDM Power folding Mirrors on My MR2. Its pretty cool but there are some bugs, which can be avoided if you find a Evo that is LHD with oem power folding mirrors. Maybe in Thailand or somewhere out side of Japan. But the problem is that the actual base that stays fixed to the door is set a different angles on the left and right side of the car. you can Check it with a protractor. This is to allow the mirrors range of movement to be centered on the drivers seat. which in japan is on the right instead of the left. Soo the mirror base angles are reversed. No biggie just use the USDM bases and mirror housings, right. Well yes thats what you have to do if you want to be able to use you mirrors to see. So essentially it doesn't matter what color mirrors you buy,because you will only utilize the internals. But this creates yet another problem, the range of movement for the actuator that folds the mirror will be off. One actuator has to move futher than the other, in japan the right mirror will have to move further than the left and vise versa in the USA. But the actuators kind of snap into the final locking positions so we can't yet mess with the range of movement, its fixed. What does this mean? It means that you left mirror won't fold as far as your right mirror, possibly your right mirror may contact the glass. On my MR2 it doesn't hit anything. But since one actuator is moving further it is powered longer, you can fix any interference issues by hooking both mirrors up to the same drive source from the power folding mirror control module. This will limit the range of movement of the right mirror by shortening the length of time that it is actuating. but you cannot make the left mirror be powered longer, otherwise you will damage the actuator.

Parts to complete a power folding mirror install are as follows:

Both left and right Power folding mirrors, the insides are the important parts. So color and scratches don't matter, although damaged housing may hint at rough handling and possible damage to the internals so buy cautiously.

The switch and connector for the mirror switch, with the wires long enough to work with, about 1-3 inches is good but the longer the better.

The power folding mirror control module, this is one of the most important parts to the system. You need it and its the most over looked. Also you need the connector with the wires attached so you can work with them.

Then a source for diagrams and information on the wiring of the mirrors. I will be more than happy to help someone figure out how to wire their mirrors, as the diagrams are not available here in the US. PM me, and I will lend you my expertise in the field so we can get a diagram for the forums. I installed the mirrors on my MR2 without a diagram. most of it was educated guesses and elimination. You need a bit of knowledge of automotive wiring.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Japanparts
Folding mirrors are not on our Site, and here's why;

We've supplied these in the past to North American EVO owners and it's caused problems

Mitsubishi don't supply the wiring loom from the switch to the mirrors, which means a loom must be fabricated to do a retrofit install

JDM mirrors are for Right Hand drive units and owners retrofitting these to USA models have complained of that the JDM Mits. mirrors don't adjust correctly for LHD; we removed the Carbon Fibre Ralliart mirrors from our site for the same reason ( and Mits/Ralliart have since stopped making these anyway )

USA mirrors require "objects appear closer than blah-blah" wording etched into the mirror face, (which JDM mirrors don't have); this is a Federal safety requirement
We don't want a product liability suit because someone fitted the JDM mirrors, couldn't get 'em to work, and it caused an accident

Basically Catch-22:

If we sell the mirrors, + we'll have nothing but complaints ( can't fit 'em, where do the wires go? + then: err, these don't seem to work dude... )

If We Don't sell the mirrors: people will complain because we don't sell the mirrors

*Thanks for your thread and your interest; we have considerable experience in having sold the retractable mirrors and these aren't worth the grief*

Graham Ware
Export Manager
JapanpartsLLC
* Since 1996 *
I hear that, My first power folding mirror install was a PITA. It is definitely something that should be done by a trained professional with the knowledge and tools to complete the job properly and maintain the safety requirements of the vehicle. If I hadn't have been working in this field for such a while with the experience I have today I would have most likely gotten frustrated and stumped with my only option to complain to the seller.
Old Feb 20, 2008, 08:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Japanparts replies

Originally Posted by 3SgteGuru
I hear that, My first power folding mirror install was a PITA. It is definitely something that should be done by a trained professional with the knowledge and tools to complete the job properly and maintain the safety requirements of the vehicle. If I hadn't have been working in this field for such a while with the experience I have today I would have most likely gotten frustrated and stumped with my only option to complain to the seller.
People assume the JDM mirrors will be "plug and play" when they're not
I would argue that a Pro install isn't always 100% necessary as plenty of regular owners have succeeded in doing their own installs; but it certainly wouldn't hurt (!)

GW
Old Feb 20, 2008, 10:02 PM
Evolved Member

so ( japanparts ) would you sell them to a customer that is up for the challange? i.e. "all sales final"
Old Feb 22, 2008, 07:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Japanparts replies

Originally Posted by ~EVILEVO~
so ( japanparts ) would you sell them to a customer that is up for the challange? i.e. "all sales final"
With No Returns + No Excuses, + most importantly: NO LIABILITY ( ! )

Responsibility for the quality of the install + subsequent use is 100% the End users ( we can't be expected to comment on anyones level of skill )

Sure; we won't cross our arms and say "No" ; but the Parts will be treated as a special Order

To Order: you'd have to PM me with

(1) Year and model of your EVO
(2) Color ( as the mirrors are supplied painted )
(3) Zip Code of your delivery address

and we'll quote with a Discount

Comment: it's our hope someone will post an install that will make this easier for everyone ( ! )

Best

GW
Old Jul 23, 2008, 06:29 AM

Arrow

do the JDM X mirrors auto-tilt downwards in reverse? and if so, which model? GSR? GSR premium? anybody knows?

specifically for the X