Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Long road trip--advice please

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2003, 06:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He's got it easy - I am driving 3,000 miles from Cali to N. VA next week... with no week in between for rest...

I figure I will just go into cruise missile mode and try to avoid the po-po...
Attached Thumbnails Long road trip--advice please-my-evo-14_2.jpg  
Old Jul 27, 2003, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Speedlimit
Take a small firm "throw" pillow with you. I drove 12 hours straight and would not have made it without the pillow. Put the pillow on your left leg and the door and your left arm on the pillow. It saved my arm from going numb.

Speedlimit...
Did you drive your Evo for straight 12 hours? Any problems with your Evo after driving 12 hours straight?
Old Jul 27, 2003, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Hey Chris, you're really moving to VA? Are you staying there for good? We're sure gonna miss you on our Evo meet.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally posted by Chris in HB
He's got it easy - I am driving 3,000 miles from Cali to N. VA next week... with no week in between for rest...

I figure I will just go into cruise missile mode and try to avoid the po-po...
Haha, did you not consider an airplane ticket? Or even a bus? I would never want to drive from one side of the US to the other. I can do 17hrs straight, but no more.

Anyways, take pics along the way, before and after and show me how your front bumper goes, hehe. I just can't stand bug splatter on the intercooler.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 07:19 PM
Account Disabled

Im going on a road trip too. Before I go, I will do a oil change, check tire pressure, and buy a bra for the frontend. This is a must.
Old Jul 27, 2003, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Thoe99

Haha, did you not consider an airplane ticket? Or even a bus? I would never want to drive from one side of the US to the other. I can do 17hrs straight, but no more.

Anyways, take pics along the way, before and after and show me how your front bumper goes, hehe. I just can't stand bug splatter on the intercooler.
I can't fly out because I am moving out there permanently for a new job. I wish...
Old Jul 27, 2003, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Let us know how many tickets you get
Old Jul 27, 2003, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Thoe99,

Werent you on the s2ki board also? If so, nice to see a fellow ex-s2ker. Anyways, I would recommend a couple of things. 1) Get the clear bra, it will prevent rocks and bugs from doing a number on your front end, and wax the HELL out of the front bumper/hood 2) Bring a cooler, water and juice can get expensive on the road 3) sunglasses 4) extra bottle of your favorite synthetic oil 5) extra bottle of window washer fluid 6) Portible battery jumper 7) first aid kit 8) swiss arm knife 9) may want to even consider a front grill (use a wire mesh from home depot, just for the trip) 10) Flares 11) AAA card, if you dont have it get it, the savings in hotel fees are considerable 12) Carry some sort of heavy tool that you can use as a weapon (like a crow bar) but can double for a trunk nessesity (and store it under your seat, you can always tell an officer that you had a flat a while ago and forgot to put it back) 13) And most importantly a box of condoms, remember dont store it in your car, they are temperature sensitive

Bobby
Old Jul 27, 2003, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by HwangTKD
Thoe99,

Werent you on the s2ki board also? If so, nice to see a fellow ex-s2ker. Anyways, I would recommend a couple of things. 1) Get the clear bra, it will prevent rocks and bugs from doing a number on your front end, and wax the HELL out of the front bumper/hood 2) Bring a cooler, water and juice can get expensive on the road 3) sunglasses 4) extra bottle of your favorite synthetic oil 5) extra bottle of window washer fluid 6) Portible battery jumper 7) first aid kit 8) swiss arm knife 9) may want to even consider a front grill (use a wire mesh from home depot, just for the trip) 10) Flares 11) AAA card, if you dont have it get it, the savings in hotel fees are considerable 12) Carry some sort of heavy tool that you can use as a weapon (like a crow bar) but can double for a trunk nessesity (and store it under your seat, you can always tell an officer that you had a flat a while ago and forgot to put it back) 13) And most importantly a box of condoms, remember dont store it in your car, they are temperature sensitive

Bobby
Yep, I roamed on the S2ki boards for about a year and a half, and still do. I came so damn close to buying one, in fact, it almost came to flipping a coin ! I'm glad I chose the Evo now that I own it.

Anyways, I'm not going camping, just on a roadtrip in one sitting (no sleeping, no resting besides eating). How much does wax protect you from little rock chips (let's say I load it with 50 coats)? If I get a front grill, would that block the intercooler enough to make a difference on gas mileage (just wondering).

Oh yea...I know it gets extremely lonely on those long trips by yourself, but no, I don't wanna pick up ****** or women at the rest stops .
Old Jul 27, 2003, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

The other important question still unanswered is:

Should I get a less agressive alignment on the wheels, so it'll wear evenly? Isn't it set pretty agressively from factory?
Old Jul 27, 2003, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by SilverEvo8owner
Let us know how many tickets you get
Thanks for jinxing me, you bastard!!!

I also owned an S2K before the Evo...
Attached Thumbnails Long road trip--advice please-s2000_opendoors.jpg  
Old Jul 28, 2003, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Long road trip--advice please

Originally posted by Thoe99
Next month, I'm going on a 2000+ mile roundtrip from Houston, TX to Sarasota, FL and back. I'll be there for about a week, so is there any advice you can give me to prepare the car for the brutal trip? What tire pressures should I set it at? Should I redo the alignment and make it less agressive so I won't wear the insides as much? I don't want to buy a car bra either. Does anyone else wanna share similar long trip experiences with me? Are there any potential risks involved with exposing the Evo and its turbo on such a long ride in one sitting (yes, I've done it many times before with another car)? I'll be cruising around 85-90mph for your information .
Thoe99,

You are coming smack into my area ... I live in Sarasota. Let's try and hook up when u get here .... r u coming for vaca or business? Let me know the date and I can give you the lowwww down ... lived here for over 23 years now. There are some of the finest beaches and hot *** girls here .... which is a reason why a try to stay single. PM me if you want.

BTW, prepare to drive through some rain when to hit FL ... you can expect at least 1 storm per day this time of year.

Last edited by evo1; Jul 28, 2003 at 06:50 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:14 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally posted by solarxclipse

Did you drive your Evo for straight 12 hours? Any problems with your Evo after driving 12 hours straight?
Yes, I left at 8:00am and got back home at 9:00pm. (1 hour worth of stops for gas and food.). No problems what so ever. The car handled perfectlyl; it does require your attention.

Speedlimit...
Old Jul 28, 2003, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Long road trip--advice please

Originally posted by evo1
...BTW, prepare to drive through some rain when to hit FL ... you can expect at least 1 storm per day this time of year.
That'll be nice, provides some wash for my car from all the bug splatter . I hope my engine doesn't get all dirty, cuz it's shiny like new right now.

Speedlimit, were you tempted many times to just gung ho?
Old Jul 28, 2003, 01:24 PM
Evolving Member

Chris
That Silver/red is sweet looking. I sure do miss that drop top and the 9k redline. Btw, how does your evo pull compared to stock?

Bobby

Quick Reply: Long road trip--advice please