Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Side Impact Rating

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Improving Side Impact Zone

NHTSA Side Impact Rating for the EVO8 is 2 Stars out of 5.

This really concerns me considering I just walked away from a T-Bone accident about a month ago. Since the EVO 8 doesn't have side airbags, how do you guys suggest we improve the design to better our chances of surviving a side impact?

What do you guys think about adding a harness bar to improve side impact collisions? Would this help, or potentially be more of a liability?

-> Here's a picture of my accident back in December, you can see why I'm concerned. It's not fun getting T-Boned at 50 mph by a Ford F150.

LEXUS IS300 NHTSA Side Impact Rating 5/5

Last edited by sdfontanini; Feb 17, 2008 at 05:50 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:05 AM

The low rating is due to the fact there is no side air bags. The test dummy's head is subjected to unbelievable accelerations on the order of 70+ g's when the head impacts either the b-pillar or side window. The side impact test is slightly unfair in the fact it compares cars with side air bags with one's that do not.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

To be honest with you, I think the head side air bag on the collision pictured above actually did more damage to my neck than if it wouldn't have deployed. Plus the side air bag located on the seat itself, near the kidney area didn't even deploy. So much for that working, huh.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:35 AM
Account Disabled

I doubt a harness bar would stand up very well. Another option would be a rollbar but on a streetcar that presents its own danger. Instead of hitting a pillar or window, you might smash your head into a steal bar.

Best option, pay attention and don't drive in front of F-150s
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

CRX2EVO, I know what you're saying. The bars themselves might become a liability, but it appears the roll cages are designed to sit behind you. So I think you'll be safe from hitting them with your head.

Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Man even though I love my evo....im glad I love my daily driver too....

....my IS300
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Unfortunately myIS300 is toast, so now I've got an EVO as my DD. This scares me cause I do 60 miles of DD each day, and if I were ever to get into another side impact like the one above, I doubt I'm going to walk away with just scratches and bruises. PEACE
Old Feb 11, 2008, 11:53 AM

That roll cage would definitely increase the structural rigidity, but at the same time your losing the utility of your back seat. If you install it make sure people riding in the back seat wear their seat belts. I can't imagine smacking that crossbar with my forehead in a front impact. If you don't taxi friends or family around in the back or if you do and just generally dis-like them, then go for it.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

To be honest, I never have anybody in the back seat. Maybe a handful of times a year. Plus I don't really like my friends all that much to begin with. If they knock out their teeth cause they forgot to put on their safetly belts, I'll be okay with that. Joking of course
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:14 PM
Account Disabled

I daily drive a Mazda Miata now. Talk about scary. I'm still considering a rollbar for it. Not likely to roll but it's so low I can't imagine being hit from he side by an SUV or a truck.

Then again, getting in an accident is very unlikely.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Also consider all the 80's and 90's cars/trucks on the road?

by todays safety standards they probably wouldn't even get a 0 now
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

CRX2EVO, gettin in an accident unlikely. Come on now. No matter if you're the best driver in the world, it's those other idiots on the road that's going to cause the accident. Sheit, when I got T-boned it was because the guy behind me failed to slow down. I would have been okay, but he never stopped.

Travman - you're right, I'm sure today's standards are much different then they were back in the 80's and 90's. I can't imagine getting T-boned in a Geo Metro. Ouch....
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:45 PM
Account Disabled

considering how many miles you drive, an accident isn't that common but it obviously does happen
Old Feb 11, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sdfontanini
CRX2EVO, gettin in an accident unlikely. Come on now. No matter if you're the best driver in the world, it's those other idiots on the road that's going to cause the accident. Sheit, when I got T-boned it was because the guy behind me failed to slow down. I would have been okay, but he never stopped.
Half true... The best driver in the world, or even a pretty good driver, cannot avoid every accident, but you'd be surprised how many accidents you'll avoid with a few track-days/autoxes under your belt. I wish I had a running tally of the accidents I've avoided from avoiding cones and driving at high speeds, bet it's over 30.
Old Feb 17, 2008, 05:53 PM
Evolved Member

Never been to a track. But I do take the mountains pretty hard every month or so.