Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is this a good deal? Need advice on a used EVO 8

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is this a good deal? Need advice on a used EVO 8

I have had my lancer for like a year and a half now, and i just spotted a 04 evo 8...I saw the sticker on it at the Buick Dealership and they are only asking $18,500 (used around 65,000 miles) which i thought was low because i see them at around 24,000 typically. Now i started thinking could i afford a Evo although i always thought it was impossible? Come to figure out i beleive i can afford the evo (I make 4x as much as the payment) but i do not know about the insurance Figuring around $200 based on the sticky. Hopefully my credit will be ok. I need advice on what to look for out of a used EVO because i have an appointment with them on wednesday. I'm assuming checking to see if the clutch and timing belt have been changed but i need some tips on that as well. I appreciate any help, as i have never driven an evo. Also has anyone made the transfer making close to 2,000 a month with approximately $400 a month in bills including rent (the car would be an extra ($370). My nerves are going nuts because i am excited but i dont want to be disappointed if i cant get it. Thanks for any advice .
Old Feb 11, 2008, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
theres been several of these threads lately and you might want to search for them since its such a recent topic

Just me, but I would never buy a used EVO that did not have the Warranty intact and/or be able to speak to the owner. EVO's can be very expensive to repair.
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A little higher than I would think for the mileage.
I would think closer to $17,500, but it is an 04'.

Up to you, your the one writing the checks...
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry if someone has asked this recently, however i did do a quick search before posting. KBB says a 04 Evo 8 w/ 70,000 miles is worth $20,000 if in good condition from a dealer, however down here in florida they seem to be going for a couple k's more.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

I think you can do it. You said around 2k a month, minus ~770 for bills and car payment. Leaves you with ~ 1230 for insurance and whatever else. I mean, factor in food if you eat out alot and movies or entertainment, you might not be able to unless you cut down on those things. Otherwise I think you should be set.

Run a carfax, listen for TC whine, feel the inside of the wheel wells for denting (helps you notice repairs sometimes). Try to bring a tech with you to check it out if possible.

Good luck man. Wish I could pick one up... damn.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

I do eat out w/ my girl about once a week, but she told me we could cut back and she would even help me pay if I need it. Thanks eehjay for the good response. I dont plan on beating on it either, at least untill i could afford to put some solid mods in it. Even half throttle would probably feel like beating on it compared to my OZ lol.

Last edited by 0zlancer; Feb 11, 2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

just do it.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 0zlancer
I do eat out w/ my girl about once a week, but she told me we could cut back and she would even help me pay if I need it. Thanks eehjay for the good response. I dont plan on beating on it either, at least untill i could afford to put some solid mods in it. Even half throttle would probably feel like beating on it compared to my OZ lol.
No problem man, just trying to help out. I've had a few friends get scammed on lemons that they are still paying for, so I know it sucks.

Just to put it in perspective, my girl and I eat out 2-3 times a week and each time we go to the movies or rent movies. I'd have to cut down alot to be able to afford an Evo.. or find a job that pays bank.

Anyway, good luck with the car if you decide to go through with it. I'd say yes at this point because it seems like you have alot of it covered, just make sure you inspect it and see if they will give you some type of warranty (without you having to pay) so that you're covered incase of any major problems.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

Would a t-case whine be very Noticeable?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:35 PM

I think the price is fair
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:44 PM
Account Disabled

is your current lancer paid off?
Old Feb 11, 2008, 05:54 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah its paid off, it has some mods though too and im not sure if the dealership will appreciate that. Overall its pretty clean and been well maintained so i hope they take it as a trade in for a good price.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 06:13 PM
Evolved Member

i think you might as well go for it. insurance shouldnt be that much if you dont have any traffic violations on your record. i pay 135 a month. i live by the motto you cant take money with you when you die. and you might as well be happy while your alive. also have a mechanic you trust come look at it with you. most deals will allow you to do that kind of stuff.
Old Feb 11, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Mileage seem a little high to me. Car could have been really beat on or what not. Really no way to tell from just looking.