Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

UGH! Ticket today before school

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2008, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would say (I think) you have until May first to get signed off on each item by a smog referee (smog citation) and the CHP or Sheriff (front plate violation), and to order up a new driver's license at the DMV or Auto Club (if you're a member). Then you can probably pay some fines or processing fees for each item get a clerk at the court to sign off on the ticket. You will probably get a notice in the mail telling you exactly what to do and what amounts to pay. Also, read the fine print on the back of the ticket, which will give you more details.

By the way, on the check boxes you can see a vehicle code section cited, like VC section 12815 or 27156 -- look them up here if you want to see exactly what they say.

Bummer. So he printed up your ticket with a computer? Dayam.

Last edited by Rod Munch; Feb 13, 2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 05:19 PM

cali is **** about emissions and what not. but that cop is pretty unreal for making you pop the hood.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aznprodigy
cali is **** about emissions and what not. but that cop is pretty unreal for making you pop the hood.
A lot of police departments are actually training their officers to know what to look for as far as modified cars go.If they choose to make you pop your hood you don't have much of a choice.Ive had several of my friends get state ref tickets and those are not fun.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

what if i bought the stock parts and put them on before the state ref looks at it?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 05:50 PM
Evolving Member

don't they have drug dealers or murderer's to catch? I hate it when they pull you over for something about your car, now I know why bank robbers get away!!
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by v-manracing
don't they have drug dealers or murderer's to catch? I hate it when they pull you over for something about your car, now I know why bank robbers get away!!
They have to pay for overtime and new chargers somehow.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:50 PM

CA car laws suck
Old Feb 13, 2008, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuEVO8kid
what if i bought the stock parts and put them on before the state ref looks at it?
If you did that you would be golden.As long as the car passes the visual and emissions testing than you should be fine.I think the fine is kind of expensive though.My friend had to pay $500 for his but he also had a honda civic with a JDM B16A and all kinds of bolt on's so yours very well may be cheaper.You will be fine as long as you have your car back to stock.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 07:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JDMCT9MR
A lot of police departments are actually training their officers to know what to look for as far as modified cars go.If they choose to make you pop your hood you don't have much of a choice.Ive had several of my friends get state ref tickets and those are not fun.
I'm almost positive that an officer is required to have a warrant to check under the hood of your car, I know they need one to look in the trunk and touch anything inside your car or make you open the doors. Unless its different in cali than in florida, but I'm pretty sure thats something that doesnt differ between states. I was pulled over once for matching the description of a suspect car which was bull cause i have the only evo in the town i was pulled over in and the cop told me that my taillight was also out, and i told him there was no way, so he said get out and check. So I do, and its not, but when i did i left the door open and he looks inside and pulls a twig off the floor that mustve gotten stuck in my track spikes and told me it looked like a marijuana stem, he then told me that that was suspicious enough to not require a warrant. I told him to screw off and that he already infringed my rights by putting his hand in my car. He let me go, but being the small town that it is, i called the police chief and let him know the whole story and the officer was put on payed leave for a couple days because there was no description of any black 4dr reported and that he had lied to me. It helps that i know the chief, but regardless it's important that you know your rights and what a cop is allowed to view on your car without a warrant, even if you have nothing to hide, you never know what one crooked cop could try to put on you, and dont be afraid to tell a cop to screw off, gently of course.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by XIEvolutionIX
I'm almost positive that an officer is required to have a warrant to check under the hood of your car, I know they need one to look in the trunk and touch anything inside your car or make you open the doors. Unless its different in cali than in florida, but I'm pretty sure thats something that doesnt differ between states. I was pulled over once for matching the description of a suspect car which was bull cause i have the only evo in the town i was pulled over in and the cop told me that my taillight was also out, and i told him there was no way, so he said get out and check. So I do, and its not, but when i did i left the door open and he looks inside and pulls a twig off the floor that mustve gotten stuck in my track spikes and told me it looked like a marijuana stem, he then told me that that was suspicious enough to not require a warrant. I told him to screw off and that he already infringed my rights by putting his hand in my car. He let me go, but being the small town that it is, i called the police chief and let him know the whole story and the officer was put on payed leave for a couple days because there was no description of any black 4dr reported and that he had lied to me. It helps that i know the chief, but regardless it's important that you know your rights and what a cop is allowed to view on your car without a warrant, even if you have nothing to hide, you never know what one crooked cop could try to put on you, and dont be afraid to tell a cop to screw off, gently of course.
well now i know for future references. Yeah i texted my sister as the cop was giving me my citation and she basically said that Orange PD doesnt have anything better to do since there is no crime heh :P But anyways i forgot to tell you guys that as he was explaining the whole "modified exhaust" vs. stock , a modded out S2000 drives by and with a LOUD A$$ exhaust and i was like "hmm" the cop didnt even double take :P

But yeah Imma try to find the stock exhaust and airbox then ill go to the state referee anyone have a sock exhaust/airbox lying around?
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:12 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe it's illegal for a dealership to sell a car in California that doesn't meet sound or CARB requirements. That assumes you bought the car in California. If you did, your dealer has some explaining to do. Your dealership is also responsible for supplying the car with a front license plate since it is required in California. Talk to your dealership. Good luck!
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by fugiwara
Ask yourself this question, "do cars in MD have front license plate?" if they do then you need one.
I got pulled over 2 days ago and the first thing cop did after she gets out of the car was to see if
I have license plate in the front. Do yourself a favor, don't give them a excuse to give you a ticket.
thanks for advise... I should do that as soon as I get a tag..... man~ i really hate to drill on front bumper but guess i have no choice...
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by XIEvolutionIX
In california any mod done to a car is more or less against the law and enough reason for them to pull you over.If they see an exhaust on the car than that will give them enough cause to ask you to pop your hood if they choose to.If you don't comply than that gives the cop more of a reason to suspect that you are hiding something or your car is illegally modified and they will cite you for whatever they can.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Ya cops are weird as sh*t. I got pulled over for doing 70 in a 55 and there was a porsche's and bmw passing me doing at least 85+. We were coming back from a car show.
Old Feb 13, 2008, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
I believe it's illegal for a dealership to sell a car in California that doesn't meet sound or CARB requirements. That assumes you bought the car in California. If you did, your dealer has some explaining to do. Your dealership is also responsible for supplying the car with a front license plate since it is required in California. Talk to your dealership. Good luck!
Very true!You may even be able to have the dealer pay for the stock parts that you will need but you will also have to be able to prove that the car was in fact sold to you with the mods on the car.