Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX MR 2006 Slugish...?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is the hks ssqv really that bad...? i was planning on going with one
Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 06MRV8Killer
What would be saved in the ECU that resetting it would fix?
Your degraded OCTANE value in your ecu. Ok here's how it works. The Evo has some dynamic timing for safety purposes. If your car is knocking then it will semi-permanently modify timing. If your car isnt knocking then it add's to the OCTANE value therby adding the timing that it removed. It also dynamically adjusts fuel trims.

The easiest way to reset your ECU is to remove the 20amp fuse closest to the front of the car (underhood fuse box next to battery). It's the 4th fuse from the front and if you look at the cover you will see a little engine diagram. Removing and replacing this fuse takes about 5 seconds and resets the ECU. Once the ECU is reset, start the car and allow it to idle for 2-10 minutes. When it first starts it will 'idle up' and then settle back down.

Reseting your ECU is not a fix, getting your car tuned so it doesnt continue to degrade your octane value and pull timing is the proper fix. The poor car is just trying to protect itself.

Last edited by Mr. Evo IX; Feb 15, 2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BocaShula
heh don't do it man!
Old Feb 15, 2008, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BocaShula
DONT DO IT, search the forum about it before you decided, VTA and Evo's dont get along.

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX
Your degraded OCTANE value in your ecu. Ok here's how it works. The Evo has some dynamic timing for safety purposes. If your car is knocking then it will semi-permanently modify timing. If your car isnt knocking then it add's to the OCTANE value therby adding the timing that it removed. It also dynamically adjusts fuel trims.

The easiest way to reset your ECU is to remove the 20amp fuse closest to the front of the car (underhood fuse box next to battery). It's the 4th fuse from the front and if you look at the cover you will see a little engine diagram. Removing and replacing this fuse takes about 5 seconds and resets the ECU. Once the ECU is reset, start the car and allow it to idle for 2-10 minutes. When it first starts it will 'idle up' and then settle back down.

Reseting your ECU is not a fix, getting your car tuned so it doesnt continue to degrade your octane value and pull timing is the proper fix. The poor car is just trying to protect itself.
Got it thanks
Old Feb 15, 2008, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

ya the hks sqv BLOWS!!!!
Old Feb 23, 2008, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Evo IX

man i was wondering why my car felt a little slow too, after messing with the fuses, i guess i got lucky pulling out the right fuse. It idled crazy after i put the fuse back in. I turned my car off, and damn, it worked a miracle, my car picks up a lot faster
Old Feb 28, 2008, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad to be of assistance. The real benefit of pulling the fuse to reset the ECU is it doesnt lose your radio stations or clock. Sounds like you might need a re-tune unless you just had a bad tank of gas.
Old Mar 4, 2008, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

I NEVER get used to my whiplash of a ***** that is my car. Then again...i drive under 3K RPM to save gas quite often.