Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Those Who Race Their Evo's vs Those Who Drive Casually

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2003, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by M3lachsilber

Oh lookey, it's Emos son....Christian Fitapaldi.....

Old Jul 29, 2003, 09:23 AM
Evolving Member

Everytime the speed channel races start they mention that the Audis (awd) start the best BUT, they can burnout the clutch on one or two starts. I think some of the Evolution owners expect the clutch to be more durable than is reasonable for a production car. Some parts just have to be upgraded for racing. You would not expect the stock tires to perform like race tires. Would you?
Old Jul 29, 2003, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by M3lachsilber
Okay Emo Fittipaldi...

If this was the case, there are an awful lot of qualified and capable drivers out there driving like **** and basically "thrashing" their cars...

You are lucky to have a car that may not have this clutch/trans issue...

But to dispell FACT as driver error?? NAAAASEL..
You may want to be a smartass, but while you're buying clutches left and right, I will be upgrading...
Old Jul 29, 2003, 08:32 PM
choad

Better to be safe than sorry..
I just got the report back in regards to my EVO..
Clutch is fine, within spec, and NO warranty issues that are evident...

Not suggesting for one minute that it is driver OR car error, but I will tell you what..
Those engineers had it figured out when they put this clutch in.....
Rather have the customer replace it as a wear and tear item as it is, than do trans gears and the like because the car was pounded...read: transmission..

I guess I will really have to focus on driving this car better for its cause, and avoid speed shifts..I would love to have a professional EVO driver teach me the ins and outs of the shifting techniques, because it is night and day from the multitude of other rear wheel drive BMW's and others I have driven...I stil feel it is strange. I miss the second gear hookup of the M3..

Can't wait to pick it up from the shop, though and experience the handling and acceleration that I have been without for a week!!
Old Jul 29, 2003, 08:43 PM
choad

You may want to be a smartass,
More like a realist...

Besides, we don't need to discuss how "driver error" contributes to a planned event..The clutch is the weak link in this car "on-road"...It has been proven with the multitude of warranty and other "replacements"...

Meaning, They designed the car for off road use, therefore speed shifting the car was unecessary...hooking up in second gear was rare, because nine times of ten, you were IN second gear coming into a hard left hander in the dirt at redline.....then you threw it into third to finish the high speed four wheel drift on to the straightaway....

Deliberate, gear holding throws into second are what this car needs..I am learning this...

I would race an Autocross event against EMO and his son if that's what it took to prove my "driving ability", but for what??!

To prove a clutch issue?

My point is that we need to acknowledge the EVO as a unique driving car, and to watch out for the non-covered clutch trans issues that seem to be it's "weak link"..

I love my car, quirky trans and clutch and all....and so do you..

So be it...
Old Jul 30, 2003, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

With this last post I can see that you are finally getting my point... The car is not meant for gear mashing.. You must be more respectful to it than any other car... That really goes with all AWD cars... Put it in gear and let the car work for you... I've had MANY years exp with autocross with all of my AWD cars and never had a faulty clutch more than once.. Blew out the GSX the first time around... Then I learned.. But this was 10 years ago.. The trannys are built A LOT stronger in the EVO's than the DSM's.. Granted I've been doing a lot of drag racing as well lately so you can say that I've switched.. But I still know how to shift properly and fast at the same time.. It's just something you gotta get used to.. That's all... But some of these other people are saying that the trannys suck, when it really isn't the case...

Your pal,
EMO hahahahaha